All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Which laxative ... if you must?
      #113796 - 10/18/04 12:15 PM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

Because I am IBS-C always, I often have to resort to some sort of laxative. My zelnorm is hardly working anymore (5 months), and I need to know which laxative is the 'safest' to use when you absolutely must. I find that MOMagnesia really does little for me.

Also, I am a new user to this site, and wondered if anyone could advise me how to start the diet, until I get Heather's book. I actually live in a small island in the Caribbean, and will have to order the book which may take me 3 weeks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Which laxative ... if you must? new
      #113802 - 10/18/04 12:36 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

You live in the caribbean, how cool is that!! I went on an 11 day cruise this past winter and visited several of the islands, they were beautiful. Which island do you live on?

Ok, seriously-call the gi doctor and ask him about miralax! Here is the web site http://www.miralax.com/
I have been using it daily for years. You don't build up a tolerance to it like you do the Zelnorm. If you can get it, let me know and I'll give you all the details! If you need some immediate relief for the C, try to find glycerin suppositories. I know the thought of them doesn't sound fun but there not so bad and really work well.

About the diet, be careful NOT to eliminate all of your insolubles. Us C people need more insoluble fiber then the D people do. I made that mistake, as a lot of people have, when I first stareted the diet and my C got worse!! Other than that, jump right in! Get rid of the dairy, don't know what you have available to replace it where you are but I'm a big fan of RiceDream Vanilla "milk." Rice cheeses are also a fair substitute. Nothing greasy or fried. Use non fat cooking spray to cook with. Fish is great, you should have plenty of fish and seafood there. Check out the receipe board here for many more ideas!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

the diet-Which laxative ... if you must? new
      #113921 - 10/18/04 06:49 PM
puddytat55

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: New Jersey-dont laugh!

The laxative? Miralax for me...For you, Zelnorm stopped working in 5 months?-that's an "ut-oh"...in reference to the diet, it's strictly low-fat, no-fat, no red meat or pork, careful with insoluble fiber and lots of soluble fiber...white bread, white rice, potatoes, oatmeal, etc. and put one of these in your belly before adding any other food-small meals every so many hours instead of large meals..object is to keep soluble fiber in your body at all times-no caffeine, alcohol, cigarettes or coffee...tough diet, but maybe it will work its magic...I havent been on it long enought to find out yet, but I'm crossing my fingers-have tried everything else, so there's nothing to loose. Luck to you! PS-somewhere in Heather's website, there is a link that gives you information on the diet specs that you can read to give you guidance until your book arrives.

--------------------
Puddytat55-I tawt I taw a puddytat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4042 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 700

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review