Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
China trip in one week - QUESTIONS!
      #113761 - 10/18/04 09:37 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi Everyone!
So on Sunday I will put myself on a plane and head half way around the world to Beijing for the next eight days. Traveling is NOT easy on my tummy - but I have to get through this trip - I have so much to do and havn't been back now in three years! Here are the main things I'm wondering about - any advice would be much, much appreciated!

1. There are some fruits and veggies that I know I will see lots of in China that arn't listed on the soluables/insoluables lists that I'm really not sure about. Some I also don't know how to say in English! But here's the ones that I know:
persimmons, pomegranets, winter mellon, bean sprouts, leechee, bamboo, wood ear mushrooms, water chesnuts, lotus root - there are also these things that look like an overgrown apple but taste more like a pair (I don't know this one in English - any ideas?)

I also asked my doc about meds I should take with me. He ordered a prescription Ambien to help me sleep on the plane - I know some of you take this - any advice? He also ordered some antibiotics in case I come down with anything. I won't take them unless I get a fever or something. With OTC drugs I plan to take lots of immodium, phazyme, advil and tums - these are my standbys and have served me well in the past. Any other suggestions - especially for cramps - I had horrible cramping with D on my last overseas trip.

I also plan to take a luna bar for every day I'm in the country - if nothing else, I'll subsist on lunas and plane rice!

Other than tea with caffein, is there any other tea that is to be avoided? What about Jasmine tea and chrysanthimum tea? I plan to bring lots of my own tea bags too, so hopefully this won't be an issue.

This will be a quick trip for me and I am worried about getting my body acclimated quickly. I have had such bad tummy experiences with overseas trips in the past and I'm certainly worried about this one - at least I know I'll be staying with freinds who will help take care of me!!

Thanks for any advice from one and all!

Min

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: China trip in one week - QUESTIONS! new
      #113766 - 10/18/04 09:56 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Min,

First, hope you have fun on your trip to China! Relax, though, if you get to stressed that my trigger you to get sick.

Water chestnuts are solouble fiber and OK to eat. Which is great, cause I just love them in stirfrys!

I have eaten beansprouts and bamboo shoots in stirfrys, so that they are cooked and with lots of rice, and have been fine. They are kinda iffy though, and need to be treated carefully.

I wouldn't try to expoeriment with things that you aren't used to eating post- IBS, that could be flirting with disaster if you know what I mean. Definately only eat rice and such on your last day of your trip, so that you will reduce your chances of getting sick on the plane. (your a D, right?) I do not know what kind of mushrooms Wood Ear are, but I know mushrooms in general are a case by case thing, I can be fine with the mif I chew them carefully.

I have no idea what winter mellon and is, persimmons and pomengrates I have no idea, I saw them at the grocery stoe last night and was wondering if we could eat them ,so hopefully someone knows the answer (I don't know what they are like, I never ate them before)

For cramping, maybe take chamomile tea bags? I drink it to stop headaches, tummy aches, and menstrual cramps, seems to work and is easy to find in the US (if you plan to take with) maybe bring some peppermint? Also, do you need ginger for incase you get trapped gas? You could prolly find that in China if you need it, right?

well, anyways, have fun!

--------------------
-Sheri

#113770 - 10/18/04 10:14 AM
Lefty1

Reged: 08/09/04

Asian pear. I believe is the name of the fruit your looking for.

My husband is IBS-A and he took the skin off and ate it - however he felt that it was so sweet that he did not want to risk more then one.

My understanding is that fruit is OK on a limited bases. Seeds inside some fruits should be avoided.

asian pears new
      #113772 - 10/18/04 10:21 AM
mindyj

Thanks for the thoughts on Asian pears, but I don't think that's the fruit I'm looking for here. The one's I'm talking about are either red or yellow - more often yellow and much bigger than Asian pears I've seen on the East coast - we're talking a fruit the size of an oblong softball. I don't think they are imported or grown here. I'd guess if they're peeled though, they probably are alright, the fruit inside looks similar to apples or to pears that you do see here.
Thanks!

#113773 - 10/18/04 10:30 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

lets see- persimmons are yummy, but I'm not sure about fiber type... pomegranates.. I'd say are mostly insoluble fibre but if your ok with fruit juices- my favorite thing to do with poomegranates is suck on the juice in the seeds and spit out the solid anyway....

not sure on winter mellon, but most melons are soluble except for the rinds..

be careful of sprouts, etc in bulk as that is insoluble fiber, but as with any insoluble- well cooked in small amouns should be fine.. water chestnuts are yummy and safe, as are bean thread noodles and rice noodles... good luck.. and enjoy it.. the big one ot worry about is if your sensitive to MSG as its used by the handful over there as a spice.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#113818 - 10/18/04 01:29 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

That's so exciting!! Hm, that's rough, not knowing about the food situation. I'm IBS-D, and my stomach's on a hair trigger, but for some reason I can handle leechees. I love em in fact! We bought a big jar of the candies with the leechee piece in the middle, from an asian market. I must have gone through that whole jar in 3 days!!

Have a wonderful time!

~nelly~

#113849 - 10/18/04 03:05 PM
heather7476

Loc: South East Michigan

Hello and Enjoy your trip to China!!! My mom has been there twice. Once to get my sister and once to get my brother.

I would ask your doctor for antispasmatic for the cramping. I would also take GAS X. You won't be able to move around alot on the plane and may end up with some trapped gas.

I have no idea about the food. Sorry!! Maybe do a search of the boards with no time limits and see if they have ever come up!!!
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

babies from China new
      #113853 - 10/18/04 03:14 PM
mindyj

Heather,
That is wonderful that your mom has adopted from China - so many babies needing homes! How in the world did she get a boy? I've been to the White Swan hotel (where she stayed in Guangzhou - all foreigners adopting babies are required to stay there - it is so cute to see all the happy new mommies and daddies toting thier new Chinese daughters! I've done lots of research on infant abandonment and on the one child policy - in my opinion some key issues in the Chinese human rights picture. Okay - I'll step off my soapbox now, but it's great that your mom has rescued two of China's found forgotten babies (in Chinese the literal translation of the words for abandoned infant are found forgotten babies).
Min

Re: babies from China new
      #113857 - 10/18/04 03:33 PM
heather7476

Loc: South East Michigan

My brother Theadore was born with a cleft lip and pallet and left at the hospital by his parents. The one child policy is very sad, They have managed to elimate Aunts and uncles, Brothers and sister, Nices and nephews. There is a whole family group missing!!! Then you have poor little ones left because they are not boys or they are not perfecet. Very sad. Makes me very gratefull to live here!!

Maybe I will try to post a pic of them. I love my little brother he is 3 and my little sister she will be 5 next month. I am 28. My daughter is 3 weeks older than my brother!! LOL

--------------------
Heather7476

more advice!China trip in one week - QUESTIONS! new
      #113869 - 10/18/04 04:01 PM
puddytat55

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: New Jersey-dont laugh!

I believe persimmons are soluble , cept for the seeds and pomegrants are insoluble for the same reason, unless you suck out the juice and spit out the pits! You may want to experiment with one fruit at a time when you get there in order to monitor your reaction. China should have lots of wonderful foods that you can eat....main ingredient...GINGER! great for the digestive track, specially as tea or mixed with camomille as tea-this double whammy is very good when you have stomach days-I brought it on the plane with me when I flew to San Francisco a few weeks ago-made it strong-chilled it and put it in an empty water bottle.
Rice being such a staple in the chinese diet is a good thing...especially if you put it in your belly first before eating any other veggie that is a borderline veggie-all the fish is good for you too-easy to digest.....ditch the red meat and pork and you should be ok-good luck to you ....boy arent we all full of advice???!!!!

--------------------
Puddytat55-I tawt I taw a puddytat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3109 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2027

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review