All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
candida
      #113415 - 10/16/04 03:09 PM
suecat

Reged: 10/16/04

Hi,
I'm new this board. I'm trying to keep a stiff upper lip here..but not fairing to well with this latest health problem that appears to be IBS. I have an immune disorder likely because of allergies since elementary school. I have recently been on a high protein low carb and sugar diet under the care of a chiroprater/nutritionist doctor.
I was on this for 2 months and developed IBS which has been acute now for 4weeks. I think the increase in meat, the excessive vitamin c, and the nuts I was eating frequently caused a excessive amount of acid...maybe this caused it - the chronic IBS. I have had digestion problems for years with excess gas and always bloating but attributed this to candida which I had due to sucessive years of antibiotic use. Finally my question: I've seen the info on using lots of souble fiber but wonder if this will be a further detriment because of the candida. I have conditioned myself to very little bread related food for the last 10 years due to the candida and it's a tricky thing now to realize I may need to switch my thinking about this. Lastly there is a website by Dr. mercola that has an article relating to IBS and candida(overgrowth of yeast which feeds on sugar) that suggests a low carb diet for IBS. the handle for that is www.mercola.com/2003/sep/13/inflammatory_bowel_disease.htm

Any thoughts on candida and IBS? Sorry for the lengthy post. I quite depressed over this complication in my already challenged health state. Thanks for considering my question.
Sue

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: candida new
      #113440 - 10/16/04 05:53 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Hi, Suecat! It sounds as though you have been having a pretty bad time, I'm not surprised you feel depressed about it. This is a very good place to come and talk about things, ask questions, learn new ideas. I have not been here long myself, but I know this subject has come up several times in the past, so you can probably find out what you want to know if you do a search. I am fairly sure there was a post by Heather called something like The Lowdown on Low Carbs, also one on Candida and IBS, probably many more as well.

The anti-candida diet you describe is just the kind of thing to make most people on this board very ill! Eating plenty of soluble fibre plus taking a supplement will probably improve your IBS symptoms. Then you would be in a better position to make a decision what to do next. And who knows, maybe the longstanding digestive problems you have suffered have been caused by IBS all along, not candida. I think I remember some people saying that antibiotics had caused/worsened their IBS, it maybe that you have been misdiagnosed.

It's difficult to make such a big change to one's life - maybe you should try Heather's diet and find out for yourself if it helps - the proof of the pudding is in the eating! For more information on the diet click on the link on the lefthand side of the screen "IBS Diet and Recipes", there are sections on getting started and what to eat when you can't eat anything that are particularly helpful.

BTW the boards are pretty quiet at the moment as lots of members have gone on an IBS weekend in Las Vegas, otherwise you would probably have got a reply from someone who knows more than me! So maybe try posting again later in the week with more questions.

Josephine

#113491 - 10/16/04 07:48 PM
puddytat55

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: New Jersey-dont laugh!

Hi Suecat...in reference to your candida, which I suffered from for many years & over came by taking longterm Diflucan and afterwords, longterm Probiotics....the good bacteria that should be in your intestines...are you on a Probiotics regime? Do you have a regular sex-partner, husband, etc. who unknowingly has the candida and keeps giving it back to you? Sometimes the doctors don't pick up on that...Candida is clearly resolvable if you know it's source and stop feeding it sugar. The Atkins diet is counterproductive to IBS...All that high fat meat would kill me and so would the dairy-are you lactose intolerant? You're caught in a pickle here...why is the candida still around?

--------------------
Puddytat55-I tawt I taw a puddytat!

#113501 - 10/17/04 03:15 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The others have said some good stuff here

However, the link you provided is to to with INFLAMMATORY bowel disease (eg. crohns) NOT IBS.

Probiotics and SF - that's what you need!

#114478 - 10/20/04 06:17 PM
Sheryl

Reged: 10/04/04
Loc: PA

Hi SueCat,

I've had Candida in the past, and I have to always be on the lookout to make sure it doesn't come back. I had a childhood that was filled with antibiotics and I've had lots of allergies to food, mold, etc....food sensitivities and IBS on top of it all. I had a mother who died of Cancer with Chrons Disease complications...so trust me I know what you are going through.

May I suggest for your Candida that you take a good probiotic as has been suggested. I've found success with the Garden of Life products...but they are very expensive. Instead try Jarrows Probiotic - get the one in a box. It's enteric coated...so it bypasses your tummy and goes right into the intestines. The trick with taking probiotics, for me, is to take it fifteen days on and then five days off. If you take them for too long, your system builds up an immunity to the probiotic and the Candida strain starts back up again. So you have to give it a rest.

Also I'm finding that it's the sugar/fat combination that is deadly where the Candida is concerned. Either do sugar or do the fat...but not both together. But I find as most or all of us here have discovered...that the fat is a killer for our IBS condition. Buuuuutttt, EFAs Omega 3,6,9 are very important nutrients for your body...especially if you want to keep the hair on your head. I was on Weight Watchers for a year...lost a lot of weight...but the hair loss was not too pleasant. I later found out it was because I greatly reduced my fat consumption. So get your EFAs.

Soluable fiber is a great help...but so is eating soft insoluable fiber as well. I find figs to be helpful on occasion.

I'm having a bad week this week, because I ate a lot of spicy food last week. So word to the wise, stay away from spicy (hot) foods, fat, sugar, dairy and meats until you get the condition under control. Fish is OK. I have trouble with chicken and egg yolks myself. Think....bland, bland..bland. I find that my constipation and alternating D are caused by inflamation inside. I'm new to Heather's diet myself. I was attempting to become a Raw Vegan....I was suffering like you wouldn't believe. I was in tears most of the time. I wanted so badly to be able to live this lifestyle....but I have had to accept that my particular condition requires a different approach than most of the health proponents suggest. But in my mind, this diet is something that I'll need to be on for six months to a year...and then perhaps I can work my way back to a raw regimine again. But right now I need to do everything I can to heal the inflamation inside...whatever it takes. I'm tired of suffering.

You've come to the right place. Here you will find support. I think of this forum as a Godsend. I know you will too.

--------------------
To every problem, the answer is love.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5744 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 675

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review