All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
UNDIGESTED FOOD
      #113149 - 10/15/04 05:50 AM
melissa01

Reged: 10/13/04
Loc: Scranton, PA

Well here goes- Sorry about being so "graphic" but I don't know how else to ask this question. I understand that eating foods such as corn, will make the corn come out basically the same way it went in. I eat a high fiber cereal each evening after supper and it seems the next morning that when I have a bm that when I wipe it is very "grainy". It almost looks like the cereal before I ate it... Is this normal?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: UNDIGESTED FOOD new
      #113150 - 10/15/04 05:54 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I don't know about normal, but I get it alot to. Corn and lettuce. Oh the joys of IBS!!! Just wanted to let you know you weren't the only one!!!
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

#113156 - 10/15/04 06:12 AM
melissa01

Well it's good to know that I am not he only one. I haven't tried lettuce yet. I am expanding my foods very slowly.
Everything I eat NO MATTER WHAT gives me cramps about 45 mintues after I eat. But some foods made those cramps bring me to tears so I just am not very daring anymore. Well thanks again for the reply. I don't feel do alone as much.

#113158 - 10/15/04 06:14 AM
heather7476

I am sorry to hear you are having such a rough time with food right now! What are you eating??

--------------------
Heather7476

#113167 - 10/15/04 06:26 AM
melissa01

Well here's an idea of my mels in a day- Breakfast is either an english muffin with smart balance butter & grape jelly, or quaker oatmeal. Lunch is 97% lean cooked ham on rye bread. Watermelon, honeydew, cantaloup, soy crisps, or graham crackers for a snack. Supper is either baked haddock or chicken, plain (s/p to taste, maybe a little rosemary, or boiled in chicken broth). Usually as a side I will have sliced carrots, couscous, or rice...After supper usually around 7:00p.m. I have 1 cup of organic ceral that is 11 grams of fiber(yikes) I have told my GI doctor that no matter what I eat I get cramping about 45 minutes after I eat. He didn't seem to concerned about that though. I guess it's just a part of it... It is just amazing how much it has changed my life from a year ago... It was like I woke up one day and boom- I had this stomach issue. I find that so hard to accept sometimes.. What am I doing wrong???

#113173 - 10/15/04 06:44 AM
heather7476

First of all I can totaly relate to the going to bed and waking up with IBS. That is just what I did. I also have a hard time accepting it!! It's like what the hell happened in the 9 hours of sleep??? So I know how that feels.

Ok Food. Do you know if you are sensitve to HFCS? If so you may want to check the ingredints and make sure it is not in them. Some people can't, some people can eat it. I am one of the ones that can handle little bits of it I try to avoid it if I can!!

Your breakfast sounds ok but you might want to ceck the dairy in the english muffins!!
Luch you may want to change the ham to turkey (lite and lean) and the Rye bread to french bread!!
Snack- the fruit might not be such a good idea untill you are stable.
Dinner sound great maybe smash the carrottes instead of slicling them!!

And YIKES IS RIGHT maybe you could try and spread your ceral out over the day so you are not getting slammed with so much fiber at once. You may want to try taking SFS instead of the ceral. Start slow and work your way up. i am taking Heather and I am only taking 1/4 tsp a day right now. ( I plan to increase this weekend) Try drinking some peperment tea or fennel tea for gas and cramps.
If you are looking for snacks try baked lays and such!!

I hope this helped. I f you have any more questions just ask. I will be back on line later today!!!!
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

#113224 - 10/15/04 08:37 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Just to let you know there are at least three of us! I also get a lot of undigested food and that "grainy" feeling is very familiar to me ... usually after eating wholemeal bread or anything with bran in it.

I was advised last year to take a supplement with hydrochloric acid to increase levels of stomach acid and it did improve things, before that I was passing all sorts of food undigested, afterwards only the obvious stuff like peas, beans, nuts etc.

I don't usually get cramping - used to, but in those days I hadn't heard of IBS and always thought it must be my fault for eating too much/too quickly.

Heather's advice sounds great - you are eating quite a lot of insoluble fibre, replacing it with soluble fibre for a while might give your poor insides time to settle down.

Good luck!

Josephine

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2044 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 861

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review