All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
breakfast, anyone?
      #113071 - 10/14/04 05:11 PM
LeeW

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Lancaster Co., Pa.

I have never done this before- bear with me... I have finally gotten a two month flare up under control (IBS-C)... I am still a little afraid to eat, and breakfast has been the hardest. I used to eat cereal, but am prepared to give that up forever! Any suggestions, other than bagels?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: breakfast, anyone? new
      #113088 - 10/14/04 06:20 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Welcome, LeeW!! Glad to have you here! I'm not big on breakfast (I get morning attacks) How about some toasted french bread w/soy butter, and a cup of chamomille tea with sugar? That's all I've got. I'm sure other people will have great ideas!!

~nelly~

#113092 - 10/14/04 06:56 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. There's lots of things that are safe! For starters, the good news is that you can still have cereal. I don't know what kind you used to eat, but safe cereals such as Honeycomb and Rice Chex are great with vanilla soy or rice milk.

Hot cereals are good too. Some of us like oatmeal; I prefer cream of wheat. Cream of rice is very safe. Another tasty hot "cereal" option is to take leftover cooked rice and reheat it with some soy/rice milk and whatever sweetener and spices you'd like... a dash of vanilla and a sprinkle of cinnamon is heavenly.

English muffins are a good alternative to bagels. Just be sure to read the ingredients; a lot of them do contain dairy, but I find that store-brand ones do not.

Pancakes are also an option. Do a search on the recipe board for safe recipes, and skip the butter for serving! I posted a recipe for Orange Juice Pancakes a couple months ago; I've found them to be very safe and very tasty.

The quick breads - banana bread, zucchini bread, etc - are also a good option, if you prefer a smaller breakfast.

I have even more ideas than that, but that's probably all I can think of for someone who's just stabilizing... hopefully that was a little bit of help.

#113093 - 10/14/04 07:07 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I really feel that breakfast is sooo important, esp for ibs c, it always initiates a bowel movement for me if done well...and it sets you up for the day! I swear by oatmeal...perfect combo of soluble with a touch of insoluble....its my lifeline....good luck!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#113132 - 10/15/04 04:46 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

breakfast is what gets me under control.. my issues last until I get my SFS in me and sometimesuntil I eat after... I always keep breakfast to 2 stages... first- my SFS in tea or applesauce along wiht my peppermint capsule and then cereal with rice/soy milk, or some low fat quick bread, or some other high in soluble fiber snack... then I'm ok all day pretty much... normally I wait about 15 minutes to a half an hour between stages to get my stomach more settled...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#113139 - 10/15/04 05:24 AM
melissa01

Reged: 10/13/04
Loc: Scranton, PA

I do the oatmeal thing myself. I also do english muffins with jelly.

oooh, good point... new
      #113141 - 10/15/04 05:27 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I do the same thing - well, kinda. About 15 mins after I wake up, I have a small glass of water (not cold!) and my SFS. Then I wait 1/2 hour and have my redbush tea w/ rice milk and usually a bagel with blueberry babyfood. Then I'm usually going after something else to eat within an hour - sometimes something sweet (quick breads, mmm), sometimes a bowl of cream of wheat. I never eat my entire breakfast all in one shot, though, and I think that's what's been key to keeping me mostly stable.

#113162 - 10/15/04 06:17 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Lee,

I eat Quaker instant oatmeal (french toast or cinnamon & spice flavor) with a piece of toast every morning. I don't feel good if I don't have something in my tummy. It has agreed with me just fine but I do know some can't tolerate the oatmeal. If you decide to try it, I would just eat a few spoonfools to start and see what happens.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#113178 - 10/15/04 06:51 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

You don't have to give up cereal at all, a lot of cereal is safe!! I love oatmeal with a little (ok, sometimes a lot )of brown sugar and cinnamon krunchers is my favorite cold cereal. I prefer the rice dream vanilla "milk" over the soy "milks."

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#113219 - 10/15/04 08:30 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

First thing in the morning I have my peppermint capsule about 30-40 mins later I take my SFS with lots of water. I usually wait another 30 mins or so then have Eggbeaters with sourdough muffins and a cup of StomachEase tea. I wait for another hour and have my bowl of oatmeal and a cup of Motts applesauce with a cup of Mint tea.

I found that if I have my eggbeater omelet, two sourdough muffins and a bowl of oatmeal I am too full, so I space it out.

Good luck!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 640 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2362

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review