All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
peppermint caps - help please! + funny symptoms...
      #112958 - 10/14/04 10:26 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hello lovely people
well the latest thing that seems to characterise my attacks over the last few months is this:
my poos are now a good consistency, however, as soon as I poo my body feels so unpleasantly empty, it induces horrible nausea, and what feels like my bum doing dry retches...ie I call them empty urges because it feels like I desperately need to go and nothing comes out. The nausea is so yucky and is often followed by INSANE shakey hunger...like hypoglycaemic feeling. Of course I always put something soluble in as soon as the feeling hits. What the hell is going on???
The only thing I can think is that my gut must be spasm and that is induced by the action of pooing (there we spend years of our lives praying for normal logs and when they come the body introduces something else to irritate us!!)...so I was thinking maybe peppermint caps would help....I haven't tried them for ten years and when I did I didn't take them obediently, plus was living on a typical 15 year old diet of junk...am a good eater now (not that I can eat much variety at the mo). Please give me your thoughts and if anyone else experiences this..is getting me down....
So, how do I take peppermint caps...is it a gradual process?? or do I just pop some in? I don't get reflux or anything...with food? without food? before? after? how many?
Thank you!!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: peppermint caps - help please! + funny symptoms... new
      #112962 - 10/14/04 10:34 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

LOL!!! Logs??? I haven't heard that expression in many years.

Hmmm, I haven't actually had that serious of a reaction when I empty completely, although it's been sooooo long since I've actaully emptied, maybe I just can't remember. I also suffer from Hypoglycemia. Do you eat every 2 or 3 hours?? If not, maybe that would help.

If you do try the peppermint caps, try taking one cap at least 1 hour before your meals. That's what Heather recommends.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#112963 - 10/14/04 10:36 AM
daliatree

thanks!! so does that mean like one cap three times a day? or just before I have my breakfast, like with my pre morning log (LOL) cup of tea? hahahha...not sure how many to take...don't want to overwhelm the holy bowels that insist on ruling my life!

--------------------

#112964 - 10/14/04 10:38 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

You could try just one in the morning with your tea, and see how it goes for a week or two. If you do well, then add one to lunch, and so on...

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#112971 - 10/14/04 11:20 AM
melissa01

Reged: 10/13/04
Loc: Scranton, PA

I am sure there are many other people out there who have more experience with peppermint caps, I personally have never tried them, I occassionally have some peppermint tea. I too experience some nasty "cramping" about 10 minutes after a nice, bulky BM. My GI doctor said that was the colon going into spasm from pushing the bowel out. regardless of wheather I push or not it still hurts afterwards. ??? It is amazing to read all this stuff and truly see that people experience the same stuff I do after thinking I was so alone in all this.

#112975 - 10/14/04 11:34 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I take Heather's Peppermint capsules 3 x per day before each meal, they really help my spasms. I also take 10mg of Lexapro before bed.

I drink one cup of Organic Peppermint with my breakfast. If you can tolerate the tea, it is better. Heather's Peppermint tea and all others that I have tried give me GERD.

The caspsules are really great for me.

Good luck.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Re: Empty urges new
      #112987 - 10/14/04 12:39 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I call them dry heaves, cos they keep me glued to the toilet seat, although nothing's coming out, like the dry heaves after you puke. I take a narcotic to stop it. One Tylenol-3 makes it stop within minutes. Like a miracle, that is. The empty urges are even worse than the attack, cause i can't go to sleep until hours afterwards, even tho everything's out of me!! That's so not fair!

I also get *ravenous* after an attack. Stoopid body making me hungry after being so sick! The agonizing thing is I have to force myself to not eat afterwards, or else it'll restart the cycle. I'll fast until the hunger goes away, then allowing myself a teensey bit of soluable fiber only. It's so hard after a bad attack, because the littlest overindulgance can keep me sick for days.

Good luck to you!!

~nelly~

#113981 - 10/19/04 06:08 AM
Noixdecoco

Reged: 10/11/04

Yes, I get the same thing too - nausea after having a good poo and then major hunger. What the???? Before IBS I never had this. If anyone out there can shed some light on how to prevent this or a way to deal with it when it occurs we wuld be most grateful.

#113998 - 10/19/04 07:34 AM
daliatree

Thank you so much for replying everyone...this nausea is definetly the worst symptom I have....if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it....

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6907 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1712

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review