All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'm a Newbie.. HELP!
      #112917 - 10/14/04 07:34 AM
LionHeart

Reged: 10/14/04

Hi, i guess i am one of the few guys on this board, but i guess we are all one with the same problem. Although I have not been officially diagnosed with IBS, I am fairly sure that is the problem.
In any case, I hate this syndrome, but i have to minimize it the best i can (i am sure you all feel me on this point). I was wondering a few things, and I hope Heather can help as well. If these questions have already been answered, sorry for being redundant

First question: Water with food. I know that Heather says to "limit water with food" for digestion problems, but does this mean that I can drink right after and right before eating?

Second Question: I have been on the "boring" diet for about 5 or 6 days now (rice, bread, dry pasta, dry cereals). I was wondering how long that I need to stay on this diet? I would really like to start expanding to other things such as soy and other things, but I wanted to make sure I reap the full benefits of this diet before expanding. Any help??

Third question: This may be a bit weird of a question, but i was wondering if anyone can help. A lot of the time when I have a bowel movement, I have to use exertion to "release" the stool. Most of the time, after using this exertion, the back of my head starts hurting and my vision feels blurrty, and i feel lightheaded/dizzy. This usually takes a few hours to go away. The other side to this is if i don't use exertion, I feel really full and uncomfortable. Any suggestions??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm a Newbie.. HELP! new
      #112921 - 10/14/04 07:43 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Welcome welcome welcome..this site is a lifesaver and I am so happy for you that you found it!!
I don't drink before eating (like 15 mins), during, and only tiny sips for an hour after if at all...it really really helps.
You can start expanding your diet as soon as you feel that your bowels are more stable...shouldn't take more then a few days....expand slowly and gently and keep a food and symptom diary...everything should be documented.
As far as the exertion goes...I never push my poos out, even if it means leaving them right at the 'exit' if they don't want to come any further, having another cup of peppermint tea and trying again...they always end up coming out on their own. exertion can induce hemarroids which is something I never want to experience!!! the dizzy feeling is common....I believe IBS is neurological, so we are going to get all these weird fuzzy feelings when our bowel does something big, like a poo. these feelings should minimise as you stabilise.
Good luck and keep asking questions!!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#112932 - 10/14/04 08:22 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't have anything else to add, I think Daliatree hit all the important points. Just wanted to say hi and welcome!!!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#112940 - 10/14/04 08:36 AM
shelley29

Reged: 08/25/04
Loc: Northeast, USA

Hello & Welcome!
As far as advice goes, I agree with Daliatree as well. I try to drink a while before and a while after meals & only sip a bit during the meal. And-once you start feeling better, expanding the diet is good. I wouldn't go crazy & I'd also recommend getting a little notebood & keeping track of what you eat day to day& about what time you ate, so if you should have a bad day, you can look back at what you ate & see if there's a trend. I've done this and it's been beneficial.
Good luck & don't worry, it will get better!!!!

--------------------
-shelley
take it one day at a time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1759 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 538

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review