All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Constipation & elimination
      #112876 - 10/14/04 04:15 AM
toffee

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: UK

This might seem a bit of a 'gross' subject, but as frankness is the order of the day on these forums, here goes…..

How do people deal with the actual physical aspect of constipation ? What I am getting at is that it is generally accepted advice that straining should be kept to a minimum due to the potential problem of hemmorhoids, fissures etc. The advice is usually that you should just wait for your body's natural rhythms to have a bowel movement and not to strain. I can't help thinking from personal experience that this is practically impossible to put into practice, though. When I am badly constipated (which is often), the only way I can eliminate is to strain long and hard – painful and time-consuming, but if I don't it just stays there.

Does anyone have any opinions on this – and what do you do ?

David

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Constipation & elimination new
      #112879 - 10/14/04 05:08 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

beign that I've never had a fissure or hemorhoid- guess I'm lucky because I have to go strain when my IBS A turns to C or else it never comes and there are times when straining is called for even when its not fully C because I can feel it there and need to go and the urge but nothing will come... like this AM... I feel worse if I walk around all day wiht something stuck in me that needed to come out!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#112923 - 10/14/04 07:48 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Try drinking something hot! If that doesn't work have you tried stool softners?? You can take these on a regular basis without problems unlike regular laxatives! If you need some immediate relief, try a glycerin suppository, this will almost always stimulate things to move for me! Be sure your drinking enough water, the longer the stool stays inside you the more it dries out, the harder it is to pass!! Worst case senerio, ask your dr about miralax. It is a prescription laxative, I have used it for use but your bowels can become dependant on it.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#113122 - 10/15/04 02:58 AM
toffee

Thanks for the advice, and yes I do use suppositories now and again to make things a bit easier. I am very reluctant to use laxatives as I do not want to become dependant and only use them as a last resort when I am severely constipated.

I had my first BM for 5 days last night, it took about half an hour and really hurt I'm afraid. Not for the first time, it got stuck halfway – but eventually started moving again, thank God !

#113273 - 10/15/04 01:48 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hey, Michele! I thought I was the only one that drinking something hot was all the help I needed! I just reach over to the sink while I'm sitting there and drink a glass of hot tap water! Works every time! Of course I'm IBS-D so I don't need much help!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#113300 - 10/15/04 05:06 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Hey Michelle! It's Jessica!... Do you use stool softeners as well? I was thinking about doing that since I'm not getting everything out.

#113335 - 10/16/04 03:12 AM
toffee

Hi Jessica, how are things with you now ? I've been reading some of your posts about trying to wean yourself off the harsh laxatives. Have you had any success ? Hope so....

David

#113348 - 10/16/04 06:42 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi again, toffee!

An SFS helps get things moving, but I need to take them regularly. When I get C, I'll take 1 citracel tablet every day, until I've completely evacuated. Then I stop. I only have to wait 48 hours before things start moving on their own. The evacuation proccess will take about an hour for me to get it all out, cos for me I usually only have a bm once a week to once every 2 weeks.

The citrucel will make you "feel" like pushing. And it's a lot easier to move old stool with an SFS. Citrucel doesn't make me shakey and heart pounding like other fiber pills. It's relatively easy on the system.

Good luck!

~nelly~

#113421 - 10/16/04 04:51 PM
LeeW

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Lancaster Co., Pa.

I have IBS-C too, but only once to the extreme you suffer from (post-partum, post-csection). I have never strained so hard in my life, I really thought I was going to have a stroke! (Pushing that hard can also cause a "vagal-response" which drops your blood pressure and heart rate- people faint this way in the bathroom at the hospital where I work) I think straining as hard as you do cannot be good- are you taking fiber supplements? I take fibercon everyday, with lots of water, with good results. Vegetable based laxatives are OK (like Senecot), that was the only thing I was allowed to take post partum (while I was nursing). I was a little dependent on them for 2-3 weeks. I think glycerine suppositories are OK too, better than stimulants. I am not sure if you can become dependent on glycerine. What about trying to "time " things better- like drinking lots of water in the 2-3 days preceding your typical BM?
Hope you are feeling better- good luck!

#113682 - 10/18/04 01:30 AM
toffee

Thanks for all your replies. In answer to LeeW, I'm only just starting to learn about different diets, treatments etc., although I have tried a few things. I generally eat healthily, I keep fit and take part in sport, and am generally healthy – except that I am almost permanently constipated. I have been constipated since childhood and am still constipated now. The doctors give out standard advice like 'eat more fibre', 'drink plenty of water', all of which I have tried but nothing really makes much difference. That's why it's great to have discovered this website where people can talk frankly about these problems, which makes you realise that there are many others with the same (and much worse) problems. Thank you all !

David

#113733 - 10/18/04 08:11 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

My dr said it was fine to use glycerin supposirtories once or twice a week. I personally don't take stool softners anymore becuase I'm using miralax and don't need them. But, you can take stool softners everyday without problems. My mom has taken 4 of them a day for as long as I can remember! I used to take them regulary until I started the miralax.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#113742 - 10/18/04 08:25 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Hi Toffee - I take Citrucel (2 caplets) 3 x per day and am now in the process of adding more fiber.

It may not be a good thing to push due to the flare up of hemorroids, but when I feel it right at the edge I PUSH to get it out!

It may not be the best thing to do, but when you are constipated all you want is RELIEF and if pushing will help me get some, I am game!

Hang in there.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#113743 - 10/18/04 08:34 AM
LittleFox

Thanks Jessica, that is a good idea. I use to take them before I new I had IBS and they did work for me. In fact, my Dr. recommended them. I don't remember the name of the ones I took, but when I get to the pharmacy I will know them by site.

I know you were responding to Toffee, but you helped me too. I an constipated as well due to an increase in fiber.

Thanks again. God Bless you!

Lene

--------------------

#113747 - 10/18/04 08:52 AM
toffee

Yes, I totally agree with you. I know that all the good advice is NOT to push, but when it's right there you just want to get it out and you just can't help pushing. When this happens I like the bathroom to be out of earshot of everyone so I can grunt and groan in private, although my last partner was very understanding !!

#113769 - 10/18/04 10:13 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I have always had to push to get anything out except when I have D occasionally. If I waited I would be full of you know what literally! I use stool softners every day. I usually take them at night to help me go in the morning. My OB told me when I was pregnant that it was ok to take them every day, so if it was ok for a pregnant person then there shouldn't be a problem taking them every day. I have for about 2 years. Also I try to go same time every morning.

Good luck!

Angela E.

Pushing & Constipation new
      #113919 - 10/18/04 06:38 PM
puddytat55

Loc: New Jersey-dont laugh!

Pushing aggravates my hemhorroids...when I feel it's right there and wont come out, I pop in a suppository and in a few minutes....it's out...such weird conversation! L

--------------------
Puddytat55-I tawt I taw a puddytat!

Re: My story, why you should not push and strain during Constipation !! new
      #113956 - 10/18/04 09:12 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I totally understand the concept of being so constipated you feel that you have to do everything possible to get the stuff out!!! You feel very uncomfortable, crampy, overstuffed...and so on. I once told my dil that I felt so constipated that it felt like someone had shoved the statue of liberty up my butt!!! She got a great kick out of that and is still laughing every time I bring it up. We have to have a little humor to keep on going.

I had this problem because of a medication I was taking. Itmight take 2 weeks to wait around for a bm. That was entirely too long. I would get so irritable and totally tired of the whole situation, I would go and sit and push and strain, then push some more, then strain, and .....on and on and on. After many months of this, I lost control of the rectal spyhincter. I had to have abdominal surgery to repair it. Let me tell you right now, it is a most unpleasant experience and very painful. Do everything in your power to keep from pushing and straining. Use me as an example, it is not the way to go even though it may seem like it at the time.

If you want to talk to me more about this, I will be around to answer any questions you may have. good luck to you all, gayla

Stevia-Plus in my tea has made any form on constipation go away! new
      #113988 - 10/19/04 06:31 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

Oh gigi! new
      #113997 - 10/19/04 07:30 AM
Nelly

That's pretty severe. Poor you! It's great advice from someone who's been there! I prommise you, NOW that's not a mistake I'll be making anytime soon!!

I hear you about going against your body. I have a little hernia that pops out in my gut when I strain too much. I got it one winter when I was on crutches, trying to go up 3 flights of stairs. Instead of stopping when I got the stabbing pains in my side, I kept going.

It feels like someone's finger poking me in my rib. At its worst, after a night of straining, I had to sleep on my stomach with my fist jammed up under my ribcage to keep it in so I could sleep.

Ahh, the mysteries of the human body. Now where's my warrantee??!

~nelly~

I would like to trade-in for a newer model! new
      #114062 - 10/19/04 11:01 AM
####

Re: Stevia-Plus in my tea has made any form on constipation go away! new
      #114066 - 10/19/04 11:19 AM
LittleFox

What is Stevia-Plus? There was no text about it.

Lene

--------------------

Stevia new
      #114072 - 10/19/04 11:35 AM
####

Stevia is a natural sweetner found in most health food stores. There is a little controversy surrounding it as it has been written that your body won't metabolize it. How many of us used to use artificial sweetners even after knowing they can cause cancer in rats?

I need only one packet in my tea every morning and it keeps me regular to the point that I go two and three times a day! This from someone who tore so badly the water in the toilet would be bright red.

I swear by the stuff.

Re: Oh gigi! new
      #114118 - 10/19/04 01:21 PM
Waverider

Reged: 10/18/04

I wouldn't be surprised if the hernia was actually a result of the straining and not from the crutches. Straining can cause hernias as my doctor informed me when I had my hernia surgery. I said it was from lifting an old microwave but he said that may have been the straw that broke the ol muscle wall's back but he doubts if it was the only cause.
Matt

LOL!! new
      #114133 - 10/19/04 02:44 PM
Nelly

Used body for sale. Some good parts left, inc. toes, arms, eyes, and part of brain. Needs work. Perfect for a med student. Call or send detailed desc. of intended use. No freaks.

~nelly~

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!! new
      #114134 - 10/19/04 02:47 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

That's a good one!!!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Re: LOL!! new
      #114136 - 10/19/04 02:50 PM
LittleFox

Now that really made me smile.

Thanks.

Lene

--------------------

more Stevia info new
      #114216 - 10/19/04 06:55 PM
puddytat55

Loc: New Jersey-dont laugh!

Stevia is small green plant grown in South America & it is ground into a powder...Stevia Plus also has Frutafit Inulin Fiber (FOS)which is a prebiotic that can nourish the good bacteria in our intestines & provide some degree of fiber. It is 200-400 times sweeter than sugar & you may want to experiment with how much you'll need to make your food/drink sweeter...start out with a tiny amount, like a pinch or two. If your local health food store doesnt carry it you can try www.wisdomherbs.com My mom is a diabetic & she can use it safely as advised by her doctor. Let me know how you make out with it! LZ

--------------------
Puddytat55-I tawt I taw a puddytat!

#115321 - 10/24/04 05:41 AM
Frankie uk

Reged: 10/24/04

I'm in the middle of my first IBS-C attack. It's about 2 weeks since anything much happened. I'm scared to take a stimulent as it could start cramps and diarrhoea which I definitely DO NOT WANT. I live in the uk and my Dr has given me sachets of MOVICOL that is giving me lots of pain and push urges. but no action. ANY IDEAS WOULD BE MOST WELCOME BEFORE i GO COMPLETELY MAD!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2825 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6243

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review