All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
OK, I'm back from my GI appt!
      #112793 - 10/13/04 03:50 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

This new GI doc was great! He asked me a million questions which were all helpful for him to figure things out. I told him about my terrible experience with the other GI doc and he smirked. Hmmmm....maybe I'm not the first to complain about him.

Anyhow, he thinks that I might not have IBS. He also suspects Crohns disease (like the other doctor) but the fact that my AD is working wonders puzzles him. If it was Crohn's it shouldn't have ANY effect on my 'd' and cramps (which it has).

I am to go for a "small bowel follow through test" soon and he said that if I'm not better in 3 months that he might consider a colonsocopy but NOT YET. Bless him for that!!!

Has anyone had this "small bowel follow through" test? I did a quick search and it involves drinking barium and them x-ray-ing your bowels as it passes through them over a long period of time. He said that this test should show if I have Crohns or not and isn't painful at all. YAY!

I am relieved but at the same time kinda worried that two GI's have both suspected Crohn's. Sigh... I mean, if it's what I have, I want to start getting it under control but I hope that's not it as it's WAY worse than IBS.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: OK, I'm back from my GI appt! new
      #112794 - 10/13/04 03:57 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Well I am glad this doc was good!! Gives me some hope!! I hope it's not crohns either but if it is we will all be here to help you get through it!!! The test your having sound like an upper GI. I had one when I was 18 after a nasty bout of alcohol poisning YIKES!! It was not that bad at all the Barium is kind of gross but not bad!!
Hope you feel better about everything now!!!!
Good Luck!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#112795 - 10/13/04 03:59 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I had an upper GI with small bowel follow through several years ago. It isn't too bad. You have to drink some icky yogurty stuff and have lots of xrays. Then they make you wait til the stuff hits the small intestine. The worst of it is you can't go to the bathroom for awhile and I had to pee! Also the doctor was an *ss. The only other inconvenience besides it taking so long is that you can't have a bra on. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#112797 - 10/13/04 04:02 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks so much Heather!

If it's Crohn's I'll have to deal with it and try to treat it as best as possible. I know two people with it actually. Two close friends' fathers. One I sat with and talked to for over an hour after my first GI doc told me he suspected it. I think the talk scared me though as he has it pretty bad and had to have operations and the drugs have NASTY side effects.

Anyhow................none of that thinking...

I am dreaming of a bubble bath and my bed right now.

#112799 - 10/13/04 04:04 PM
Sara-Sage

What no bra? But you have a gown on, right? That's freaky!

I can handle the chalky taste. I had an upper GI swallow test (which is apparently different) and I survived it.

#112801 - 10/13/04 04:09 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

its nto that bad.. the barium does taste gross and it seems like forever- take reding or knitting or something.. and no bra because underwires and even metal hooks can interfere with some of the x-rays... actually I thought this test was better then the barrium enema they gave me, though both of them left me with wierd stuff coming out for awhile...

Good luck.. I hope its not Crohns, but if it is - knowing is half the battle and you are already on a diet that works for many crohns patients...

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#112803 - 10/13/04 04:11 PM
Sara-Sage

What about my wireless bra? Tank top? Oh boy...

Yes, I'm already eating a great diet so, I agree, that will help.

Thanks Amie.

#112808 - 10/13/04 04:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes you have a gown or something on. I think this test is the same it just takes longer since the stuff goes further down than the basic test.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#112811 - 10/13/04 04:31 PM
Sara-Sage

Thank god. I have a thing about being topless while getting a test done. Talk about being vulnerable!

Oh yes, makes sense.

THX!

Not doing well today new
      #112874 - 10/14/04 03:56 AM
Sara-Sage

Ok, when my BF came home from work I told him how my doctor's appt. went. I told him that this doc also suspects Crohn's disease. We talked a lot about the symptoms that I have that do indicate it. It started sinking in that I might find out soon depending on when the test gets scheduled.

I am a TOTAL mess today and feeling very sad and upset. I really do think that I have Crohn's and it's very upsetting. I called work and took a "personal" day which will probably floor my boss. I'll go in tomorrow and don't know if I'll tell her what;s going on. She doesn't know that I even have IBS (can I even say that anymore?). Oh well, I need it as I look and feel awful today.

Oh boy...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2353 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1592

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review