All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Doing alot of reading
      #112631 - 10/13/04 08:39 AM
melissa01

Reged: 10/13/04
Loc: Scranton, PA

Thanks to everyone out there who shares such helpful information. I am 34 years old, and was diagnosed 8 months ago with IBS-C. Went for a second opinion and they said the same thing. I went to a nutrionist to help gain weight and start eating low fat foods as not to upset the tummy. I have been on a low fat diet for 3 months now, oh and I'm lactose intolernat, which from what I read is very common in IBS persons. Basically all I eat is fish and chicken.
Potatoes, carrots, soy crisps, graham crackers, red beets, rye bread lean ham ... No matter what I eat I get bloated and then the feeling like I need to go to the bathroom comes on about 45 minutes after eating. NO MATTER WHAT! Is this normal for IBS?? Even when I am eating the Godd foods??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Doing alot of reading new
      #112668 - 10/13/04 10:19 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Have you tried taking digestive enzymes with your meals?? You can get them at any health food or vitamin store and they help to break down your foods. Also, try using gas-x on a regular basis.

I also have IBS C and almost always feel bloated after eating. Its very frustrating!! Be sure to drink lots of water and get exercise, they really do help!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#112686 - 10/13/04 11:08 AM
melissa01

I was on the medicine Zelnorm for 12 weeks and that didn't seem to do much but produce tons and I mean tons of gas. On top of the fact I was on a high fiber diet to try to keep things as close to regular as could be. I did take one gas-x pill and while it did relieve the bloating/gassy feeling but then I didn't take anymore because I thought it would have interferred with the Zelnorm in some way. (although I'm sure it didn't, I think that was my mind playing tricks on me). I am now off the Zelnorm but am still on a high fiber diet. The gassiness isn't as bad anymore but I am physically bloated 100%. As the day wears on and I put more food into me. I take one dose of Citrucel each afternoon and have a bowl of very high fiber cereal in between supper and bedtime. Along with my normal food during the day. I never did try enzymes to break down my foods- Can you give me a name of one that you could recommend from personal experience...Thanks for replying. It's comforting to know I'm not the only person with this very frustrating problem...

#112695 - 10/13/04 11:44 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hmm, my bottle of enzymes is at home and I'm at work. I have used several brands and they all seem to work equally as well. The gas-x won't interfer with zelnorm or anything else. I find that I have to take them regulary for a couple of days to really get good relief. I mean take the maxium dose! When I'm bad, I'll take 2 up to 4 times a day. It really helps break up the gas so you can pass it.

The bloating is one of the hardest things to get rid off. Mine seems to vary in severity. Be sure your not getting too much insoluble fiber into your diet, that will casue extra gas. But than again, too little causes C! Its a fine line for sure! A lot of the girls swear by fennell tea! Personally, I can't stand any tea but it is supposed to help!

Maybe try switching from the citrucel to a different fiber supplement. People react differently to the different brands. Personally, I did ok with it but I now take Heathers Acacia. Also, you may want to consider trying pro-biotics. They will help restore the good gut flora and can help reduce gas and bloating. The best pro-biotics are found in the refridgerator at the health food store. The ones on the shelf don't contain live cultures, so only get the refridgerated ones! Bifidus and acidifu-something or another is a good combination! Sorry, I can't remember exactly but you'll know what I mean when you see it!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: I second this new
      #112827 - 10/13/04 05:43 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I would consider another fibre supplement. Acacia, Equalactin, Benefiber are some of the favourites around here.
Are you drinking fennel tea or peppermint tea? They help immensely. Fennel for bloating and I consider peppermint tea my miracle drug. It can even stop an attack for me.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#112882 - 10/14/04 05:18 AM
melissa01

Well Thank You for taking the time to throw out some suggestions for me... I am so thankful for your response. I needed someone to talk to about this other than a doctor who really has no idea how "I" feel. I just celebrated my one year anniversary and although my husbad "tries" to understand it is so hard unless you are in the persons shoes. I have tried peppermint tea, it helps for the most part. I would say it kind of takes the edge off the cramping after eating. As for the fiber supplements I originally was on Metamucil and I felt that caused ALOT of gas so I switched to Citrucel. I have been on that for about 2 and a half months. Thanks again for talking to me about this.

#112979 - 10/14/04 11:52 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

Basically all I eat is fish and chicken.
Potatoes, carrots, soy crisps, graham crackers, red beets, rye bread lean ham ... No matter what I eat I get bloated and then the feeling like I need to go to the bathroom comes on about 45 minutes after eating. NO MATTER WHAT! Is this normal for IBS?? Even when I am eating the Godd foods??

Ham is not a safe food! Have you read through the IBS diet guidelines? Are you getting 10-15 g of soluble fiber supplement a day?

I know it's a pain, but I think you have to keep revisiting the IBS diet until you have it memorized forward and backward. I can't tell you how many times I have rediscovered that something I'm eating is definitely a Bad Thing.

--AC

Question for Michele new
      #112986 - 10/14/04 12:33 PM
Miss Pepper

Reged: 12/23/03
Loc: Delaware

When you get a chance could you post the name/brand of digestive enzymes that you take? I would really like to try this but I have no idea what to look for Same thing with the probiotics. I just don't know what to look for (and I didn't know that you were supposed to buy the kind in the refrigerator!). I tried Heather's Acacia but I am allergic to it So Citrucel is basically my only option.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2440 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1529

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review