All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sushi question?
      #11261 - 06/10/03 11:55 AM
gator

Reged: 05/26/03
Loc: Florida

Is Sushi totally safe to eat? My friends keep trying to get me to try it and I was always scared, thought it might bother me.. I see the "CAlifornia roll" at my local supermarket.. is it ok? can it give me "D"?? any advice or past experiences would be appreciated...

--------------------
Thank You

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sushi question? new
      #11262 - 06/10/03 12:05 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I LOVE Sushi! I have had NO problems with it. I even think that Heather mentions it in one of her books. I am sure that it is ok...but you may need to test the waters for your own tolerance. I am looking for recipes actually...if you have some!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#11263 - 06/10/03 12:15 PM
2sweeties

Reged: 06/04/03

My husband and I eat it all the time, he's the one with IBS-D. Make sure you go to a clean restaurant though, if the fish is bad, it can make anyone sick. Fridays and Sat are good days (they stock up on firsh for the weekend) - I would avoid Monday (if it is open) and Tuesdays just in case.

Sushi recipe new
      #11264 - 06/10/03 12:19 PM
2sweeties

TMCHAWK ~

Got this from gourmet.com - great website. I would use only a bit of the wasabi - and get IBS friendly vegetables. Have a sushi party - put cooked salmon inthere, anything goes! I toast the nori (seaweed) a bit before eating, brings out the flavor, you have the stand there and watch it though, this thing burns easy, for a few seconds will do, don't leave it in like bread.

SUSHI-ROLL RICE SALAD

Active time: 40 min Start to finish: 1 1/2 hr
1 1/2 cups short-grain sushi rice
1 3/4 cups plus 1 1/2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 medium carrot
1 1/4 teaspoons wasabi paste (Japanese horseradish paste)
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 large seedless cucumber (usually plastic-wrapped), peeled, halved lengthwise, cored, and chopped (1 cup)
3 scallions, thinly sliced diagonally
3 tablespoons drained sliced Japanese pickled ginger, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
1 firm-ripe California avocado
8 fresh shiso leaves (optional)
1 (6-inch) square toasted nori (dried laver), cut into very thin strips with scissors

Rinse rice in several changes of cold water in a bowl until water is almost clear, then drain in a colander 30 minutes.

Bring rice and 1 3/4 cups water to a boil in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan, then simmer, covered, 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let rice stand, covered, 10 minutes (do not lift lid).

While rice is standing, bring vinegar, sugar, and salt just to a boil in a very small saucepan, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved, then cool 2 minutes.

Spread rice in a large shallow baking pan, then sprinkle with vinegar mixture and toss with a wooden spoon.

Shave thin lengthwise slices from carrot with a vegetable peeler, then cut slices diagonally into 1/4-inch-wide strips.

Whisk together wasabi, remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons water, and oil in a bowl, then add rice, carrot, cucumber, scallions, pickled ginger, and sesame seeds and toss gently.

Halve, pit, and peel avocado and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange 2 shiso leaves (if using) on each of 4 plates. Top with avocado and rice mixture and sprinkle with nori strips.

Makes 4 servings.

Gourmet
July 2002

Gourmet Entertains

Sushi - again new
      #11265 - 06/10/03 12:21 PM
2sweeties

One more thing, it might look hard to make, once you've tried it - easy as making a sandwich!

Re: Sushi recipe-THANK YOU! -nt- new
      #11266 - 06/10/03 12:36 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#11267 - 06/10/03 12:38 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!!

I would ask what's in it first. I have a prob with cucumbers...so I ask them to leave it out. Just a thought. Welcome to the board!!!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

cucumbers new
      #11297 - 06/10/03 03:26 PM
2sweeties

Ruchie - Put anything you like, leave it up to your imigination - buy some seafood, blanch spinach, put zucchini, boiled carrots, boiled shrimps - I had a party at work once where I asked each co worker to bring an ingredient from the recipe and we had such a fantastic feast which people still talk about after many years! MUch cheaper, by the way,not that it means anything, I am asian, that that's the recipe I use. After the first time, you may add / reduce ingredients to your liking

Edited by 2sweeties (06/10/03 03:27 PM)

#11304 - 06/10/03 04:53 PM
gator

Reged: 05/26/03
Loc: Florida

Is there a good kind of fish to start out with. since it's my first time, i want to try an easy fish and work my way up.. also, do you dip the sushi in anything??

--------------------
Thank You

#11318 - 06/10/03 07:30 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I've only tried to make sushi once (at one of the sushi-making parties thrown by the international dorm, but that's another story), but I'd say for your first try, vegies are probably easiest. As for dipping sauce, pour some soy sauce into a saucer or shallow bowl and mix in as much wasabi as you like. Enjoy!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2673 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2724

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review