Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Hi I'm not new...but I want to start over... new
      #112401 - 10/12/04 01:29 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Quote:

What's the best mayo to get? Try not to use mayo, but if it's absolutely necessary, use Fat Free Miracle Whip

If you are near a health food store, check out a vegan mayo. There is absolutely no dairy in it.

Quote:

I am oredering Heather's acaia fiber...how much should I start with? I don't use Acacia, but I can tell you to use the smallest dose possible and work your way up. I think she's actually got that type of info on the packaging.

Here is what Heather says on the site:
"For the soluble fiber powders (Acacia Tummy Fiber™, Citrucel, Benefiber)
Start at 1/2 - 1 level teaspoon twice a day and over the next week or two (or three or four) work up to 2 tablespoons twice a day, or the equivalent of 12-15 grams of soluble fiber supplement per day. If you stabilize at a lower dose, simply stay there."

Quote:

What's the best tea if you have heartbirn? Fennel, chamomile or ginger.

Fennel should help the best, but I would watch out for the ginger. It has been known to cause problems in GERDS and heartburn.

Quote:

hoe much water per day? 8 8oz glasses... I buy the Liter containers, and drink two of those a day.

Here's a thread about how much water with an excellent link: web page.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Food For Thought new
      #112406 - 10/12/04 01:32 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ruchie:

Is this ALL the food you can eat, or just ALL the veggies and starch you can eat? By the way, I thought yams and sweet potatoes were the same thing!

I have a severe case of IBS, but I can eat many more veggies and starches than you list. Please read Heather's website front to back again! She gives great tips on how to prepare some of the trigger foods so that they are safer to eat. I've tried her tips and unbelievably I've been able to add gads of food (real variety!) to my diet!

My latest additions include organic tomatoes (peeled and most seeds removed) and organic mushrooms (peeled). One of the tricks is to not eat too much of the trigger foods. For example, I can tolerate a teaspoonful of organic brocolli every night for dinner without any trouble at all. But anything more than a teaspoonful would be too much.

Another trick is puree some of the trigger foods. For example, I just bought pureed corn in the babyfood section.
I'm going to try a little for dinner one of these days.

The trick is also eating the trigger foods with lots of soluble fibre.

Does this help at all? If you have IBS, I highly recommend you stick with Heather's diet. I've had IBS all of my life (46 years) and I know from personal experience Heather's diet is 100 per cent correct.

Belinda

Tinkyada brands, sweetie... new
      #112415 - 10/12/04 01:52 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

The Tinkyada brand of all kinds of pasta is amazing. All made from rice. It's from Canada. See if the smaller HFS or Whole Foods carries it. Trader Joes is unlikely to. It's better than any American made wheat alt. pasta I've had to date, and believe me, I've tried just about all of them. I understand if you can find a good Italian GF pasta they too are incredible. Sometimes little local Italian markets carry that, since eating GF out in Italy is very easy to do, or so I'm told.

I feel so bad for you Ruchie. You'll feel better once you stay on this diet, once and for all. Fibro is no fun, but you have probably the best fibro people in the world to help you...LS, Linz, JenX and others. Amazing and caring they are.

But I have to ask..just how do you know you are allergic to wheat? What tests proved it? Or, are you eating GF because of the fibro?

And about potatoes...do you test your blood after eating them. Is that how you know it spikes?

I suspect there will be alot of things that you can't handle now that you will in the future, once you are a bit more stable.

Good luck to you sweetie, You can do it!!!
Kandee

--------------------

#112417 - 10/12/04 01:54 PM
chigal

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

Ruchie,
I'm so sad to hear that you are struggling so much! You've been an inspiration to me in the past, and I know you will get back on track again.

I've had good luck with Hellman's "2 Good" Mayo. It doesn't have egg yolks, and if I throw some dill in it, it's pretty good!

I don't have the resource I need to check this out, but when you look at how much insoluable fiber is in brown rice, it may still be low enough to tolerate. I used to think it was super-high in insoluable fiber, but in small amounts it may be well tolerated. I've mixed a couple of different cooked rices together -- kind of a pilaf without the butter! That can be good as well.

I hope OA works well for you. I've tried that a couple of times, and I found them to be too tough on food issues. That just led to more stress and more problems for me. However, any spiritual system like OA can be very helpful.

I've seen a book at Whole Foods that has diets for all GI issues (GERD, IBS, etc.). When I get it, I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Hang in there, Sweetie! Glad you're back!

#112430 - 10/12/04 02:23 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Ruchie,

Seen you around alot, but never really had a chance to talk to you, so I would like to say 'hi'!
I also hope that you make it through this tough time okay, just remember that figuring out your key foods is the tough part, than you just have to worry about sticking to them and concentrating on getting better.

Maybe brown rice is okay for you, heather has posted before that it is okay, but I think that it is one of those things that vary per person. I have been eating brown basmati rice, and haven't noticed a bad reaction, but would prolly not dare to eat it if I wasn't stable.
You seem like you have a somwhat decent list of veggies
going on, maybe could you try throwing them together in a stirfry and making brown rice with it? (If you find the rice works for you). Water chesnuts are soooo lovely in stirfrys.
Can you tolerate chicken ok? I am a vegetarian, so I don't eat it, but if you do maybe grill/bake/ whatever your chicken to go with rice/veggies.
You are going to need protien to regain strength, I assume (but I am no expert, I admit!)
Can you eat amaranth? It is a grain that can be used as a hot cereal, I beleive, I know that it is a wheat-free alternative., and can be found at the HFS. maybe a trip to the HFS should be in order, to ask the staff there for their suggestions on products they may have.
If there is a WHole Foods Store by you, check it out. A couple of celiacs people I know shop there all of the time, lots of gluten free alternatives.
Are you okay with soy? Not to eat on an empty tummy or anything...
About mayo, I bought Nayonaise a while back (vegan, but still quite a bit of fat) and only used a drop. I am sure that after ahile you will not miss mayo. Try using mustard as a new condiment. I thought I hated mustard til I started this diet and tried it.

Also, I found that fennel and chamomile are my only teas of choice with heartburn. Chamomile calms the nerves and tummy spasms (even menstrual cramps!) just nicely, and is very easy to find. (I use Twinings tea bags) It sounds like a soothing choice given your current state of things.

You definately do have lots of things working against each other, so it is gonna be tough. You might find that you have to either make trade offs, or to just stick to a couple of key foods.

Oh, another thing, I have found that smoothies are pretty filling, so if you can handle soymilk, toss that, a banana, and maybe a mango in the blender.
I am gonna look up more grain info, so I might post again on this thread.

Good luck,
Sheri

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Thanks Becky!!!! new
      #112448 - 10/12/04 03:21 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I forgot you were gluten free.. there are gluten free pastas out there, and btw- I am hypoglycemic.. if I eat protein with each meal it makes a huge help to that.. and I also eat 6 small meals a day.....

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Aw honey! new
      #112549 - 10/13/04 12:21 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Here's Heather's trigger list

Hey, I weigh 146lbs (that's 10 stone 6 right?)! Nearly snap!!! I've given up on losing weight for now, I want to be good with the IBS diet and do stuff for the Fibro and losing weight as well is too much for me atm. But then, the IBS diet is so low fat, I'll you'll lose weight anyway (why can't I be tolerant of veggies, not fat? ).

I get Hellmann's lowest fat mayo, but then as I said, I'm more tolerant of fat than others.

I'd start with 1/2 tsp Acacia three times a day. Do that for 2 weeks and then add a bit more. If you don't get any gas, you might be able to add more quicker (fortunately, I'm also tolerant of SFS - something useful!).

With heartburn avoid mint and ginger. Chmomile and fennel are good. I mix fennel seeds with dried lavender - that's yummy!

Try for 2 litres water a day. It's good for the Fibro as well. At least, the negative effects of NOT drinking enough water are extra bad with Fibro as we're so sensitive. I've only started doing this myself again since the support group meeting.

With all those veggies you listed, there's loads of stuff to eat. I'd really recommend risottos. You might find you can handle half and half brown and white rice, maybe? If you only have a very small portion, it shouldn't spike your blood sugar. I'll post some more risotto recipes when I work them out! Mushroom risotto is already on the recipe index. You can do great risottos or stews with rice using squashes. Can you have soy? If so, you could add soy protein powder to meals to give you the protein to help with the hypoglyceamia (sp????). If you can get GF pasta, you could also make Heathers' Butternut Squash Linguine which is yummy - just sub the linguine for whatever pasta you get. Can you have zucchini? I'm just about to post a zucchini risotto recipe Simon invented! Can you have pumpkin seeds as you can have pumpkins? Another thing I've started on since the support group meeting. They're good for essential fatty acids (just don't ask me which one as I forgot before I'd even left the meeting! ). And they're yummy!

Being good on the diet will really help I bet. I know that my Fibro and IBS are so linked that if one gets bad, it can trigger off the other one! Which is really why I'm trying to be extra good again. You can do it! Good luck!

white basmati has the same glyceamic index as brown rice -nt new
      #112839 - 10/13/04 07:10 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: HELP!Diabetic#2 new
      #112852 - 10/13/04 10:23 PM
MiMiLu

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Subs of Detroit,MI.

reading these posts and sooo confused!!!! I have diabetes2 and this IBS diet list of soluble fiber has only 1or2 items I can eat without my sugar soaring!!!I eat any white anything and I am at 300/I am taking the Acaia fiber(just started)but what can I do about my diet???? PLEASE

--------------------
Mary(MiMiLu) I have ibs,diverticulosis,diabetes,
HBP, and a lot of weight to lose.

Re: Rice and Potatoes new
      #112855 - 10/13/04 11:12 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi Belinda,

tried organic too....something about potatoes bothrs me (maybe from the fibro?) i had white rice last night with tamari sauce and fish...and you know what? it was OK!!!!!!!

i'm glad ya'll keot telling me try white rice...it was jasmine...

Belinda, if you tin of anything else...please let me know....

love,
rcuhie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5423 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5617

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review