All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Newcomer
      #112125 - 10/11/04 04:47 PM
puddytat55

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: New Jersey-dont laugh!

Hi Everyone-I am new to this site/board and find it interesting. I've had IBS all my life-even at a time when the meds didnt know what IBS was! I am confused about 1 thing....as a naturally constipated IBS'er, removing high fiber grains, breads and beans from my diet and replacing with white bread and potatoes is going to be a severe upset to my digestive tract & I fear I will become severly constipated again. I KNOW some of you know the pain that involves! I have never experimented enough to know if this high fiber diet I am currently on is causing me attacks. I often have "delayed reactions" to stimuli...what to do?

--------------------
Puddytat55-I tawt I taw a puddytat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newcomer new
      #112153 - 10/11/04 06:15 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi and welcome, puddytat! I like you already just from your username!

Heather does NOT suggest that IBS-C'ers replace everything with white bread and rice, etc. That's ONLY for two to three days MAXIMUM when you need to break the cycle. She considers it IMPERATIVE that people with C get plenty of insoluble fiber, but in an IBS safe way, mixing it with soluble fiber as a cushion.

There's a thread recently called "Calling All IBS-C'ers." There's a lot of great info there, just do a search!

The three golden rules for IBS-C'ers are:
1. Plenty of insoluble fiber
2. Plenty of water
3. Plenty of exercise

Good luck and keep coming back, okay?!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#112191 - 10/11/04 08:12 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Hello and Welcome!!
Glad you found us. Sorry I can't be much help I do get C sometimes but it doesn't last for long. I am sure other will be able to help you more.
Good Luck and WELCOME!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#112227 - 10/12/04 03:22 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Hi, Lauren! It sounds as though our symptoms are similar - I am very C unless I eat insoluble fibre (fruit & veg, brown rice, beans, etc) and then I get D. I have been that way for 15-20 years, off and on to start with but pretty much all the time in recent years. I found this site 2-3 weeks ago and had the same worries as you. I had already worked out that if I cut that stuff out I wouldn't have D but didn't know how to cope with the C that would result - laxatives only caused more D.

I have made some changes to my diet, cutting out red meat and dairy, starting meals with soluble fibre (bread, pasta, potatoes, white rice), replacing tea/coffee with peppermint and fennel, drinking water too (didn't used to at all) BUT what has made the most difference is taking a soluble fibre supplement. I have been taking this for just over a week and already have a big improvement - not normal - but nearer to normal than I have been in years. If it never gets better than this, I will still be happy. I haven't been eating much fruit & veg etc, only things I know I can cope with, but plan to start adding that back in gradually.

The supplement I am taking is methylcellulose (brand name Celevac, but I think it's the same as Citrucell), but there are quite a few different ones and other people here are taking a wide range, so look at the list on the main website or do a search on the messageboard to find out more.

I nearly delayed starting taking the supplement because I will be away from home for a couple of weeks this month - thought it would be too difficult to cope - but now I am so glad I didn't wait. I feel better already and will find it easier to travel now not more difficult.

So don't be afraid to try something and do tell us how you get on.

Josephine

Welcome to the boards! :) -nt- new
      #112280 - 10/12/04 08:11 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

--------------------
- Jennifer

#112299 - 10/12/04 09:10 AM
stephanielee

Reged: 08/31/04
Loc: North Carolina

Welcome aboard! I'm glad you found us. I also suffer IBS-C. In the beginning of this diet I also took out ALL insolubles and replaced them with the other; BAD IDEA!! I was more C than ever! Instead, work in some insolubles but still eat mostly bran, wheat, veggies, ect. Also, eat mini-meals/ snacks every couple of hours to avoid overloading your system, eat fruit without other foods, take fiber supplements, drink hot herbal teas (peppermint, mango, fennel), drink LOTS of water, nix the caffiene, and get at least 30 minutes moderate exercise DAILY. Also, for the pain I found that enteric coated peppermint gelcaps taken 3 times a day one hour before eating helps lots with the painful colon spasms (the one I take also has ginger and fennel oils, brand called NOW, from the health food store, $11 for a 90 pill bottle). I hope this helps you and again, WELCOME!! Hope you feel better soon.

Steph

#112327 - 10/12/04 11:04 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Hi puddytat and welcome!

I am an IBS-Aer prone to C, which is where I am now. I might go 2-3 times per week. I am in the process of incorporating more soluble and insoluble fiber into my diet therefore, I know my tummy and colon have to adjust to more fiber.

For C people lots of fiber is a good thing!!!!!! But make sure it is incorporated correctly.

Follow Heather's diet, get an SFS, exercise at least 30 mins. per day and you will see a change.

Again, welcome aboard. I'm off to eat a bowl of oatmeal (soluble and insoluble fiber) with a full glass of water!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3807 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 611

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review