Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Vegans - Bocca Burgers and Rice and Soy Cheese Alert
      #111828 - 10/10/04 12:22 PM
Sheryl

Reged: 10/04/04
Loc: PA

Hello Good People,

Just wanted to let you know that I had a very bad reaction to a Flame Broiled version of Bocca Burger as well as Rice Dream Cheese. I was up half of the night from abdominal cramping and gas, etc. To make a long story short - most Bocca products contain Wheat Gluten, Soy Protein, and Cheese products, and Sesame Oil....So if you have a food sensitivity to any of these ingredients in addition to having it prepared in a restaurant in any oil other than Olive Oil...please be careful.

Also I checked out the ingredients to my Soy (Veggie Slices) cheese and Rice Dream cheese.....they both contain "Casein" which is now becoming more well known as an allergen to those people who have a food sensitivity to cheese products in general. I never knew that Casein allergy existed...but I suffered for years from dairy products with a light gastric response but with a heavy runny nose for years...and never knew why. A friend of mine who tested her young child for allergies discovered that Casein found in most cheese products causes the exact reactions I have been having for years. It interferes with my peristalysis, creates gas and causes me to have a severe runny nose. So I always knew that regular cow products had Casein, Whey and Lactose in them....here in Heather's IBS diet books, we seem to get the idea that we are safe with going with Soy and Rice Dream products, but to all of you folks who are sensitive to Casein...and who desire to be Vegan....please be aware that some soy and rice dream products do contain Casein which is one of the main ingredients of regular cow dairy products. So for those of you who are wondering why you are still suffering....please be forewarned and read the ingredients carefully to avoid suffering as I have.

Take care.

Hugs,

Sheryl

--------------------
To every problem, the answer is love.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vegans - Bocca Burgers and Rice and Soy Cheese Alert new
      #111832 - 10/10/04 12:40 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Yes, got to watch for those pesky hidden ingredients in things that look vegan. They are mostly markerted for vegetarians who don't mind the dairy products -- I'm guessing.

Also things marked as lactose-free very often have some dairy derivative in them too. Sneaky...

My boyfriend HATES doing groceries with me because I spend 45% of the time reading labels. And he can do groceries in 15 mins... show-off!

#111884 - 10/10/04 03:28 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I hate casseine- they sneak it in everything- there is one boca and one morningstar product without it... the black bean morningstar and the VEGAN boca original- all the others are dairy included... my trick is often to look for kosher Pareve items to rule out dairy.. doesn't rule out egg, but OU-P is safe from dairy and I can have egg whites and some egg yolk in limited amounts...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#111911 - 10/10/04 05:54 PM
Sheryl

Hi Sara,

So you've encountered this yourself. I am so grateful to have happened upon this IBS forum group. I have been suffering from this condition for years, but there always seemed to be something I could eat. Now that I've decided to become Vegan for health as well as for moral reasons, it's now become more difficult to figure out what is safe and what isn't safe to eat. I was soooo proud when I ordered that vegee burger at the diner on Wednesday eveing last week while communing with my Technical Writer buddies...only to find out that my tummy was none too pleased with me. I lost sleep that night. Then two days later I made an omlet at home with my Rice Dream cheese...only to find myself experiencing discomfort from the cheese.

So I guess I'm going to have to scrutinize the labels of everything I buy and be very careful when I go out to restaurants, huh? Thanks Sara.

Sheryl

--------------------

#112126 - 10/11/04 04:48 PM
Sheryl

Thanks. I'll have to check out those versions. I tried out Annies Version of Veggie burgers. We'll see if I fare better with this one. A friend of mine told me that Boca uses GMO Soy which isn't good for anyone I'm told. So it's back to scrutinizing those labels again.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4414 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 785

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review