All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
      #111618 - 10/08/04 09:46 PM
Bilbo

Reged: 07/27/04

Hey all, I'm a newbie here (though I think I've posted once or twice).

I'm 21, almost 22, male... would say where I was from but I've lived in Rochester, Richmond, Chicago, New Jersey, DC, and Montreal. Right now I'm in DC, looking to move up to Albany in January then back to Montreal in a year and a half or so (immigration process = fun).

I suspected I had IBS for a few months so I did the normal thing - completely ignored it. It became just plain too awful though and eventually I saw the doctor. Sure enough, that was it, and yes he did rule out the other possibilities.

I was on a med for a bit, Nulev I believe, but you couldn't exercise while taking it so I had to stop. My work is pure exercise, stocking shelves at Trader Joe's (which, by the way, is a very good grocery store for IBS folk).

I haven't had a normal trip to the bathroom in ten months now. I blame myself first and foremost - I've been absolutely terrible about sticking to the diet. But the Tummy Fiber arrived today and I'm making a strong commitment to following it. I wonder when I can expect a normal trip to the bathroom... just one would ensure me sticking to the diet.

I do have some questions. Tobacco is bad, but how about marijuana? I gradually gave up drinking over the summer but still smoke pot, and, to be truthful, quite often. I don't need to know if it's good for it (because if it's great then I'mma become a pothead ) but just whether or not it is bad for it, heh. I have found that it relaxes my digestive system but doesn't change the... "end result," should I say? So the pain is gone, but that's it. Sometimes, though, that's all I'd ask for.

What convinced me to start following the diet? Stomach rumblings, extremely loud, every five minutes in class the other night. Talk about embarassing. It was absolutely awful. P.S. The class was almost three hours long.

Oh, and a bit about me. I'm finishing my B.A. in Literature at American University. My minor is Cinema Studies which is what I want to pursue in real life. I have a girlfriend who lives in Albany (thus me finishing school early and moving there) who is quite supportive of me and my IBS-ness. I'm a hockey nut. I >STUDY< hockey, not just live it. My bookshelves are nearly all hockey books, literally. And, since I've lived in DC for a while, I'm politically-minded, extremely liberal and quite passionate about two issues, gay marriage (or civil unions for all, preferrably) and the right to choose.

So that's my long-winded intro. I work almost full-time and am a full-time student but will try to say hello to everybody whenever I can!

Edit: I just realized I might have posted this in the wrong forum. If it's a problem, can it be moved?

Edited by Bilbo (10/08/04 09:50 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newbie new
      #111623 - 10/08/04 09:56 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

Welcome to the boards.

I would encourage you to commit yourself to completely sticking with the diet (no cheating) for a few weeks. If you are like most of us you will definitely see a difference. Then when you do cheat and feel so gross you realize that it just isn't worth it. It's a journey.

Trader Joes is my favorite grocery store and you're right they really do have a ton of products that are IBS safe.

Can't help you with your questions about marijuana. Honestly I've never tried it but I just can't imagine that it could be beneficial to your health.

Anyway - good luck,
Leigh

#111633 - 10/09/04 02:59 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Welcome. Nope, this is just the right place to post this - more people (including Heather) check out the "Eating..." board and all IBS stuff should be posted here.

Stick with the diet -it's worth it. As are SFS: they're amazingly helpful.

Re. pot, I haven't done much at all since I got IBS, but I'd say it's no a good idea. Although it might help with your pain perception in the short-term, in the mid-term, it's likely to aggravate IBS. I find now that even smoky rooms make me feel rough. So take it easy, okay?

Good luck! And welcome, again. It's good to have another guy on the boards - I think all our men feel a little out-numbered!

#111636 - 10/09/04 04:33 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hey, welcome! Always nice to have new, interesting people on board, even if we all wish you were feeling better and therefore didn't need us.

Like everyone else, I'll say this: stick with the diet. I'll be honest, I followed the diet to the letter, and it still took me almost 2 months to *go* normally. Not everyone has that problem, but just a warning that it might take a little time... don't get too discouraged, stick with it, and you WILL feel better eventually... honest!

Ditto for the SFS. I didn't feel any better on it till I'd worked up to 8g/day, but once I did... holy cow, what a difference! Stick with it; it's worth the wait.

I don't know for sure about the pot either, but as a former pothead m'self, I'll say that I never noticed it making it worse in and of itself. BUT - I did find that it made me crave (and eat) a lot more foods that are bad for IBS'ers. Maybe you don't have this problem, but it's something to watch out for. Also, as I've gotten older (sigh) I've found myself getting REALLY sensitive to smoke in all forms; sometimes it triggers attacks, sometimes it just makes me feel like crap for days. Another thing to watch out for. I just decided it wasn't worth it anymore.

Anyway, welcome & hope you'll stick around!

#111642 - 10/09/04 06:14 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Hello and Welcome!!!!

I am glad you found us!!! About the pot thing. While it might help with the pain it may also be cause trapped gas and bloating. From the way you have to inhale it. I am a reformed pot head and I am sure it would help relax me but I think I would blow up like a ballon so I will stick to other relaxing methods. Just a thought!

I am starting my SFS today to so we can do it together
Hope you stick around. We would love to have ya!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#111669 - 10/09/04 09:38 AM
stephanielee

Reged: 08/31/04
Loc: North Carolina

Welcome! I'm IBS-C and have found that too much soluble fiber makes me worse, so I eat mostly insolubles. I have found that Fibercon caplets taken in the morning helps a bit and enteric coated peppermint gelcaps help a great deal with the pain; I take one pill three times a day on an empty stomach. I also relax with a hot cup of Celestial Seasoning's Tension Tamer tea, which is a blend of peppermint, cammomile, cinnamon, ginger, licorice root, lemon, and B vitamins, caffeine free. It helps the bloating when I drink it before bed. Eating mini-meals is also great. I agree that pot is not a good thing to do, not only for IBS but also for your overall health and well-being. I hope we can be of great help for you and that you start feeling better soon.

Steph

#111694 - 10/09/04 11:48 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Bilbo! Love your screen name! Welcome to the wonderful world of IBS. Glad you found us, sorry you had to!

Ya know, I think there was a long discussion about pot several months ago, and even Heather chimed in on it. Do a search for pot or marijuana with no time limit and see if you can find it.

Keep coming back, okay?!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#111780 - 10/09/04 09:51 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

wellcome newbie to the ibs board. we are all here to help you. the pot thing you metioned never tried it at all. but i did read article about what can happen takeing it some times. bloating, gas, some heart burn to. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#111796 - 10/10/04 07:35 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Hey all, I'm a newbie here (though I think I've posted once or twice). Welcome!!

I'm 21, almost 22, male... would say where I was from but I've lived in Rochester, Richmond, Chicago, New Jersey, DC, and Montreal. Right now I'm in DC, looking to move up to Albany in January then back to Montreal in a year and a half or so (immigration process = fun).

I suspected I had IBS for a few months so I did the normal thing - completely ignored it. It became just plain too awful though and eventually I saw the doctor. Sure enough, that was it, and yes he did rule out the other possibilities.

I was on a med for a bit, Nulev I believe, but you couldn't exercise while taking it so I had to stop. My work is pure exercise, stocking shelves at Trader Joe's (which, by the way, is a very good grocery store for IBS folk). Oh cool...do you get a good discount on all your IBS safe foods?? Good place to be at lunch too...if you did not bring your own...LOL

I haven't had a normal trip to the bathroom in ten months now. I blame myself first and foremost - I've been absolutely terrible about sticking to the diet. But the Tummy Fiber arrived today and I'm making a strong commitment to following it. I wonder when I can expect a normal trip to the bathroom... just one would ensure me sticking to the diet. You have to stick to the diet.... I myself have not tried the Tummy Fiber yet, so I can't answer that... but I do take another SFS 3 times a day and would not give that up for the world!! I'm assuming your IBS-D?

I do have some questions. Tobacco is bad, but how about marijuana? I gradually gave up drinking over the summer but still smoke pot, and, to be truthful, quite often. I don't need to know if it's good for it (because if it's great then I'mma become a pothead ) but just whether or not it is bad for it, heh. I have found that it relaxes my digestive system but doesn't change the... "end result," should I say? So the pain is gone, but that's it. Sometimes, though, that's all I'd ask for. I'd say it's time to give that up....and speaking from experience.... those "munchies" CAN'T be good for you following the diet.... I don't think when you are in that frame of mind that IBS safe munchie foods exist! IF, your going to keep doing it....keep a "pot diary".... what what did you eat before smokin it, durring, what kind of munchies, and then after.... how did you feel...tummy, bathroom trips etc.

What convinced me to start following the diet? Stomach rumblings, extremely loud, every five minutes in class the other night. Talk about embarassing. It was absolutely awful. P.S. The class was almost three hours long. I totally understand where you coming from.....glad you were not a stuburn male for too long and went to the Dr.

Oh, and a bit about me. I'm finishing my B.A. in Literature at American University. My minor is Cinema Studies which is what I want to pursue in real life. I have a girlfriend who lives in Albany (thus me finishing school early and moving there) who is quite supportive of me and my IBS-ness. I'm a hockey nut. I >STUDY< hockey, not just live it. OK, hockey nut.... you stay in touch and let us know your progress..... My bookshelves are nearly all hockey books, literally. And, since I've lived in DC for a while, I'm politically-minded, extremely liberal and quite passionate about two issues, gay marriage (or civil unions for all, preferrably) and the right to choose.

So that's my long-winded intro. I work almost full-time and am a full-time student but will try to say hello to everybody whenever I can!

Edit: I just realized I might have posted this in the wrong forum. If it's a problem, can it be moved?

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#111943 - 10/10/04 08:33 PM
Bilbo

Reged: 07/27/04

I do get a discount, a nice 10% off, which REALLY adds up quick...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2583 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 937

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review