All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Getting nervous...Librax...Need some TLC
      #111552 - 10/08/04 05:17 PM
Jules3

Reged: 03/10/04

So I just need to vent and this is the place to go. I haven't been on in a while, because I though things were somewhat under control. I went to GI a few months ago, she did some tests, and one of them showed bacterial overgrowth which she treated with antibiotics and gave me miralax which worked wonders. i didnt want to get to dependant on the miralax, and switched to taking magensium and have been great for the past few months. Starting about 5 days ago, I got pain, not the uncomfortable gas pains Im used to, but acutaly PAIN in the middle of my abdomen. I called my doctor, and she told me to take prevacid (even though it was not acid reflux). Last night it hurt so bad I took a percocet leftover from an unrelated surgery, which took the pain away. I just got back from seeing my doc, and she gave me Librax, and the pain has ceased a bit. Which I guess means it's spasms...anyone know what that means is wrong with me???

I'm going in on tuesday for an ultrasound, and I am so fearful that it may be pancreas/gallbladder issues. I just started law school, and this is NOT helping.

Hopefully tonight will be better. I do feel a little bit loopy from the Librax, which is bad for stuying, but tummy is better I think. Any questions, comments, words of advice???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Getting nervous...Librax...Need some TLC new
      #111553 - 10/08/04 05:21 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I'm not sure that I'll help much, but I know that "spasms" can occur with IBS. Heather sells peppermint caps for that reason. Do, go to the doctor though. You'll want to make sure it's nothing serious. Good luck.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#111578 - 10/08/04 07:01 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Librax worked for me too with the pains and spasms but it made me "loopy" too. I switched to Bentyl and I'm down to two a day. One in the morning and one before lunch. They seem to be helping with my spasms and the only side effect I had was bad dry mouth for the first few days which got much better.
I've been on it for over a month now and can honestly say that I haven't had those god awful pains with IBS. I still have my usual hormonal IBS issues but I think no antispasmatic drug will help with hormones.
Something strange I have noticed lately was that my nose starts to run when I'm on the potty have IBS. What's up with that? Anyone else have this???

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Ahhhh!!! Sorry, just needed to let that out... new
      #111610 - 10/08/04 08:44 PM
Jules3

Thanks for the Librax info. I am hoping that after taking it for a while, I will get used to it like you said...but studying for my midterms is not so easy at this very moment...I took my first librax at about 4 today, and I noticed a decrease in the pain for about 2 hours, but then it came back in full force. And now it is lessened again. I don't know if this is how the medicine works, or if my pain is due to some other problem. The ultrasound on tuesday will hopefully tell me...I just feel very cloudy right now. Which would be fine, if I wasn't in the middle of first year law school midterms!

Anways, I'm trying not to psyche myself out that anything will show up on the ultrasound, but it's hard not to think about it. This pain in my gut is TOTALLLY different than what my IBS symptoms have been before. I am having no C, which is what my IBS consisted of before, and the bloating pressure I normally feel is there, but not the root of the pain that is causing me to double over. It's a different kind of pain. Anyone else have these syptoms and have them be tied to other vital organs, such as pancreas, gallbladder, etc?

At least my doctor is listening to me, so I guess Im lucky in that aspect...I have ready too many posts saying their docs just told them to eat more fiber. Mine actually told me to cut back on my oatmeal intake (the one thing that DOESN'T upset my tummy) and fatty foods - which I almost NEVER eat...

Back to the books...

Re: Ahhhh!!! Sorry, just needed to let that out... *DELETED* new
      #111614 - 10/08/04 09:02 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

Re: Getting nervous...Librax...my nose also runs new
      #111616 - 10/08/04 09:39 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

how weird, good to know I am not alone.....my nose also runs in the morning in when go, luckily I am already near the toilet paper so I just blow it and go on. weird, I have been trying to figure out the connection.

#111617 - 10/08/04 09:44 PM
angela3

I took Librax about three years ago while I was in my last semester of college. And it did make me very "confused" or "loopy" as y'all have called it. But it did help the spasms, but I did not like the constipation as a side effect and also it made it harder for me to pee. But at that time, while in college I had not found Heather's diet or website yet. After finding Heather's diet and this message board, I don't take any prescription drugs, just fiber and digestive enzymes and vitamins. But the Librax does help, if you still need some extra help.

Good luck! I feel for you, I was a Chemical Engineering major and my last semester with IBS was extremely tough, most days I just wanted to give up. But just hang in there.

#111619 - 10/08/04 09:47 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

I take Librax before breakfast and dinner. I think it took a couple of weeks to really kick in for me. It has helped tremendously with the pain and gas. It also had the side benefit of making me get a better night's sleep. I do think it is curious since you are predominately "C" though. My doctor gave it to me and said this is for patients that are diarreah predominant.

Good Luck
Leigh

Ouch new
      #111924 - 10/10/04 06:48 PM
Jules3

I am so utterly frustrated...Today was supposed to be a BIG midterm study day for tomorrow, but instead Im in tons of pain. I tried to force myself to study all day, but all the peppermint tea in the world was not helping. So I finally caved, and took the TWO Librax, and am now too drowsy to study. But the worst thing is, the pain has not dissipated at all...My entire upper abdomen from the center to the left is cramped and feeling like I'm pretty much being stabbed, and I can't get comfortable no matter what I do. Any suggestions?

Re: Ouch new
      #111936 - 10/10/04 07:25 PM
angela3

I don't have any suggestion that I really feel will help, but maybe a warm bath or heating pad, it sometimes helps me. But I am going to pray for you because I know exactly how you feel. My last semester of college is when I developed my IBS, and had many nights just like your talking about and was taking Librax also, which just made me slow and confused.

I am going to sound like I am scolding you, but here is what I had to do when i was in college. I made sure that I started studying for the test at least a week ahead of time, so by the night before I just had to review a few items and then get a good night's sleep. Cramming is just not something an IBSer should do. Also, the day before a test be really careful about what you eat.

I wish I could do something for you. Good Luck!

Re: Ouch new
      #112167 - 10/11/04 06:32 PM
Jules3

Thanks for the advice. I just took my midterm, and decided my health is the most important, so I did what I did and that will have to do. Thing is, I have another one wednesday! I go in for my ultrasound, but my boyfriend is trying to get me to go to the ER, and has been for the past couple days. My pain is so great, I can barely stand it. Laying down hurts even more, and its like someone is stabbing me in the midsection. It's so wierd, it happens in the afternoon, and goes on thru the evening, and has been that way about a week. And I have been eating carefully and eating different things everyday, so there has been no commong trigger. I dont know...it may not be my IBS. It may be some other organ...Ouch

Re: Hope you feel better soon new
      #112188 - 10/11/04 07:57 PM
angela3

A funny thing ..... when I first started having my stomach problems, I went to a general doctor and then to a gastroenterologist and had an endoscopy and a ultra sound and and they couldn't find anything majorly wrong. But I was getting a stomach ulcer and had an over production of acid so the doctor thought a bland diet and some acid reducers would help me get better, and I remember reading about IBS and thinking "man, thank god I don't have that it sounds awful". I was hoping I had something that was treatable, curable, operable, but after many tests later, I just have IBS and have to deal with it.

To get to my point, I hope you have something else and not IBS and that it is something easily treatable.

Good luck in school. I am also glad your boyfriend is there for you, he must be very considerate.

Re: Hope you feel better soon new
      #112353 - 10/12/04 12:11 PM
Jules3

Thanks...I had my ultrasound, and it showed no gall stones, but waiting for the full results. I know I have IBS...I deal with it all the time, have changed my diet, take supplements, and have discomfort most of the time. This is different though. THis isn't gas pressure pain. It isn't in my intestines, its much higher. I don't know, maybe my IBS is just progressing, and there is no answer, but the wierd thing is, I haven't been having any trigger foods, and have been eating diff every day to see if something is triggereing it. But low and behold, every afternoon, I and up curled up in the fetal position, scrounging for narcotic pain killers to ease my pain, and unable to study. I dont know, I feel like I have a pretty high pain tolerance, from my IBS and dealing with a tender tummy, so I feel like this pain is much greater than most people would know as normal problems. Maybe it's related to stress. But I have had no C lately, which is the bane of my IBS usually, and no D either...Im so frustrated...

#112377 - 10/12/04 12:49 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

hope your feeling better.. my pain and cramps is from muscle spasms, and sometimes I can feel the muscles spasming from outside just by putting my hands on my abdomen.. its not a pretty picture

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#112394 - 10/12/04 01:14 PM
Jules3

You gotta love that...I can feel that too. And it's really great when I can see bubbles in my stomach fromt he outside. But if the pain was associated with spasms, shouldn't 2 Librax do the trick? What do you do?

No news yet... new
      #112831 - 10/13/04 06:23 PM
Jules3

Well, my ultrasound came back negative, so I guess that's good. I just got back from the doctors office, where they then made me go to the hospital to take EIGHT vials of blood. My arms look like I'm a junkie...They tested for celiac, so I'll be interested to see what happens with that. My doc will also take a biopsy during my endoscopy on friday. Not too much pain today, so that is good. I'm just frustrated. And sooooo tired.

my nose runs too!!!! -nt new
      #112836 - 10/13/04 06:57 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4009 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3900

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review