All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Burning feeling in stomach
      #111324 - 10/08/04 07:43 AM
Miss Pepper

Reged: 12/23/03
Loc: Delaware

I have this burning feeling in my stomach that won't go away. Is this acid reflux or gas? Has anyone had this feeling before

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Burning feeling in stomach new
      #111332 - 10/08/04 08:13 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

YEP !!! Mine was acid reflux. Cal your doctor!! He or she will be able to tell you. If it is acid reflux there are some realy good meds out there for this!!
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

Is there a special test for acid reflux? new
      #111335 - 10/08/04 08:28 AM
Miss Pepper

How was yours diagnosed? I just went through a couple of tests 2 weeks ago - colonoscopy and EGD. Would my doctor be able to tell from those?

Thanks

Re: Is there a special test for acid reflux? new
      #111338 - 10/08/04 08:36 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I am not sure what a EGD is but I don't think they can tell from a colonospy. My dotor just listened to the symptoms and gave me some meds! Shw said if the meds didn't work then we would talk about tests. The meds work when I remmber to take them so I haven't had any test for it!

--------------------
Heather7476

Thanks for the info Heather7476! -nt- new
      #111342 - 10/08/04 08:46 AM
Miss Pepper

Non-Medication Help For Acid Reflux new
      #111350 - 10/08/04 09:20 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Miss Pepper:

I had the worst case of acid reflux a year ago. It went on for ages. I got rid of it completely without meds (which could have irritated my IBS). I just thought I would share with you what I did.

The first thing I did was to stay away from any acidic and fatty foods. Since I already had IBS, I had already cut out most acidic and fatty foods from my diet. But I still drank Peppermint tea which soothes IBS, but which is deadly for acid reflux so I had to cut the tea out.

The second thing I did was change my meal frequency and portions. I switched to eating smaller portions more frequently (every few hours). This was not only good for my acid reflux, but also good for my IBS.

The third thing I did was to not lie down or go to bed right after eating. Instead, I waited about two hours after eating before going to bed.

These three simple changes brought my acid reflux (which had been acting up for months) completely under control within a matter of weeks. I have not had a single reoccurence since last fall.

I don't know if this approach would work for you, but I highly recommend it as opposed to going the meds route -- if you have acid reflux. I think we, as a society, too often turn to meds when there are common sense solutions available. Besides, any medication is always risky for an IBS person because sometimes the slightest thing in the medication can trigger an IBS attack.

Hope you feel better very soon.

Belinda

Re: Non-Medication Help For Acid Reflux new
      #111364 - 10/08/04 09:50 AM
Miss Pepper

Belinda,

Those are some great suggestions. I have to be really careful with medications anyway because I have so many sensitivities/allergies. I have still been drinking peppermint tea, so it sounds like I should cut that out? Do you drink any teas, for instance fennel? Also, what are some acidic foods I should avoid?

Thanks for your advice!

Re: Non-Medication Help For Acid Reflux new
      #111429 - 10/08/04 01:22 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yes, cut out peppermint tea immediately! Once you have recovered you might be able to add it back into your diet again. I believe fennel is fine for acid reflux.

Acidic foods would be things like tomatoes, citrus fruits, vinegar, alcohol, anything spicy, also anything carbonated -- all things that could trigger IBS attacks.

One thing I should have probably mentioned in my previous message was that medication might be necessary while the acid reflux is active otherwise you could suffer damage to the esophogus (sorry don't know how to spell it!). But, for a long-term solution, I would recommend my approach.

Yes, I am very sensitive allergy-wise too. Last year, when my acid reflux was active, I posted a simple baking soda formula to control acid levels while the reflux is active. If you do a message board search under acid reflux/baking soda on this website, you should be able to retrieve that formula. I never ended up trying it, but it sounded like it would not trigger an IBS attack while helping to control acid reflux.

Belinda

Thanks Belinda new
      #111435 - 10/08/04 01:30 PM
Miss Pepper

Your suggestions are really helpful. I did know that tomatoes and citrus were reflux triggers. I guess I've never really paid attention to that kind of stuff - some form of denial, I guess - hoping this feeling would go away on its own I'll have to be more careful and I will look up your baking soda treatment.

Thanks again!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8814 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1422

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review