All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New here with questions...
      #111319 - 10/08/04 07:14 AM
Angie22

Reged: 10/08/04

Hi! I am new to the message board but I've been reading all over the site. I started the diet a week and a half ago and it's helping. I still get some of the symptons, so i am still trying to figure out my body reactions to the diet.
It is a bit overwelming, learning how to eat, what to cook and it's funny how people feel sorry for me!! I keep telling them i am ok.
I do have a question about soluble fiber, I usually take it with my peppermint tea, it's that ok? I mean for the Benefiber to dissolve in a hot liquid? I read in other post that it might be better to dissolve it in food for a lesser chance of gas (which I have A LOT)
Also, i am trying to incorporate calcium, I do not like tofu or soy milk (but i am trying it) is it ok to take calcium pills? i do worry about osteoporosis.
Thanks for all you help, this is site is GREAT!
Angie

Edited by Angie22 (10/08/04 07:36 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New here with questions... new
      #111330 - 10/08/04 08:05 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Hello and Welcome!!!
I am trying to figure out the SFS thing myself right now so sorry I can't help you there. Hopefully someone else will by soon and be able to help you more. I just wanted to say Hello!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#111340 - 10/08/04 08:44 AM
Miss Pepper

Reged: 12/23/03
Loc: Delaware

Welcome to the boards! You've come to a really great place for advice and support. With regard to soluble fiber, I've never tried Benefiber as I tried Acacia and found I was allergic to it (a very rare thing, apparently). Anyway, I think I remember reading that Acacia is cold water soluble, meaning it might not dissolve so well in hot liquids - but I am not sure about this since I didn't take it more than a couple of times. Personally, I use Citrucel powder and that seems to work for me. You say you have gas, so you would probably want to stay away from Metamucil which has psyllium (sp?) in it and is known to cause gas in some people. For gas and bloating, fennel tea is really good. If that doesn't do the trick, I take 1 or 2 Gas-X.

It took me awhile to get used to soymilk, but now I love it My favorite kind is Silk Vanilla - the Silk Chocolate is also good for a treat. For a calcium supplement, I take Caltrate and have not had any problems. You might want to read this from Heather's newsletter articles "The Seven Sneaky Deadly Sins of IBS" Vitamins .

Hope this helps and good luck

Fiber and osteoporosis new
      #111344 - 10/08/04 08:49 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Welcome!

I don't know about Benefiber, but I put acacia in hot peppermint tea all the time (dissolving it first in tepid water to prevent lumps). You might want to check the label of your Benefiber to see if there's any restrictions that they list.

Calcium pills are fine, but you have to take the right one *and* balance out the calcium with magnesium to keep you regular (too much calcium leads to C, too much magnesium leads to D). There have been tons of posts about this - do a board search for calcium and magnesium to find 'em. My favorite is called "CalSnack", and it has both calcium and magnesium.

Also note that, per Heather's book, exercise and reducing the amount of animal protein in your diet will probably do more to prevent osteoporosis than chugging calcium will! Fortunately, what's good for IBS also turns out to be good for your bones as well.

--AC (recently got an off-the-charts high bone density reading!)

#111380 - 10/08/04 11:19 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I use benefiber and I take 4tbsp a day in two doses of 2tbsp each. I usually dissolve the first dose in my hot tea in the a.m but the second dose I dissolve in food in p.m. to reduce risk of excess gas. I also take a calcium pill on top of my multi vitamin b/c I can't do the soymilk unless I am cooking with it, but I can't drink it straight. I discussed this my GI and she said I should be getting enough calcium this way. But you have to be careful b/c I know that a certain type of calcium causes D. (I don't remember if you said if your C or D, but just be careful.) I am IBS-D and I think I take calcium carbonate?? You can do a search on the boards to make sure which calcium is the best. Or maybe someone else knows.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#111427 - 10/08/04 01:18 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, again, Angie!

You got some good responses here, so I just wanted to chime in on the gas. As Heather says, the most important thing is to avoid gas producing foods (there's a list somewhere, could someone find the link for me??). Or take Bean-O when you eat them. Other things that help are fennel tea (it tastes like licorice, so if you don't care for licorice, you can combine it with peppermint or ginger tea, or just hold your nose while you chug it).

Finally, there are over the counter gas remedies such as Gas-X, Phazyme and store brand equivalents. I take two extra strength capsule every morning as a preventive and I can't remember the last time I had bad gas!

Keep coming back, okay??!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Welcome to the boards Angie!! -nt- new
      #111447 - 10/08/04 01:59 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#111930 - 10/10/04 07:06 PM
Angie22

Reged: 10/08/04

Thank you for the welcome and your help. I do not like fennel tea, i always drink peppermint, but i guess i can mix it? I read in another thread about fennel capsules, i wonder if those also work?
I am IBS-C and at the moment i am a little confused with the foods, i am trying to incorporate soy milk (so far i just use in a strawberry banana shake)so i am eating a lot of rice, pasta, bread and bananas
Anyway, thank you for your help, i really like this site, it helped me alot!
Angie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4819 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 994

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review