All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Wine anyone?
      #111142 - 10/07/04 12:53 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I know from reading your posts, not so much here as in the LR and Vegas forums that there are quite a few of you who have the odd glass of wine or some alcohol from time to time.

I have read the guidelines and the sneaky sins but am looking for some personal experience stories about tolerance etc. I am not a big drinker and have had no alcohol at all since my diagnosis but love the idea of having a couple of glasses of red wine when we go out later this month for our anniversary dinner and maybe some mulled wine as the evenings get darker and colder.

If you are someone who can tolerate a glass of vino or some alcohol PLEASE share...don't be embarrassed that you break one of the sneaky sins! (and no comments about the Irish girl asking questions about alcohol either!!!)

Thanks,

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wine anyone? new
      #111144 - 10/07/04 12:56 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Sinead! I love red wine and after I'd given up all alcohol, I convinced myself that a glass or two of red wine with dinner once a week wouldn't bother me. Unfortunately it did in a sneaky way. The day I drank it, I'd be fine. But a day or two later I'd have a problem with something I could normally eat fine. It was like a delayed effect. So watch out for that. Once I gave it up again, I finally got completely stable (8 months and counting!!).

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#111145 - 10/07/04 12:57 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well, I wouldn't touch Guiness! Sorry, couldn't resist!

I'm fine with a glass or two occasionally, but most of the time I play it safe and just have half a glass. These days I rarely want more! Red wine is usually better than white, as long as it's not very heavy. And on an empty tummy is asking for trouble (never mind the IBS, I'm such a light-weight now it gives me a hangover! ).

Experiment!

#111192 - 10/07/04 02:58 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I couldn't touch Guinness either! BF had surgery recently to have his appendix removed and about two months later he went on a stag weekend (bachelor party) and consumed quite a few Guinness. When he got back his stomach was so swollen he thought he had burst his scar and he went to his consultant who said it was perfectly normal! Apparently Guinness is really hard on the colon and the nearest hospital to Dublin airport has dozens of tourists admitted each year with stomach cramps after it.

I know myself that alcohol hurts my tummy, and am quite a lightweight too. Its really just the cosy glasses of wine that I will miss rather than boozy nights out!

I am certainly not brave enough to try it out but might have a glass on a full stomach for our anniversary at the end of the month.

Thanks for replying,

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#111214 - 10/07/04 03:51 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Quote:

I know from reading your posts, not so much here as in the LR and Vegas forums that there are quite a few of you who have the odd glass of wine or some alcohol from time to time.

I have read the guidelines and the sneaky sins but am looking for some personal experience stories about tolerance etc. I am not a big drinker and have had no alcohol at all since my diagnosis but love the idea of having a couple of glasses of red wine when we go out later this month for our anniversary dinner and maybe some mulled wine as the evenings get darker and colder.

If you are someone who can tolerate a glass of vino or some alcohol PLEASE share...don't be embarrassed that you break one of the sneaky sins! (and no comments about the Irish girl asking questions about alcohol either!!!) That was the first thing I thought of to!! LOL The Irish Girl needing advice on acohol. Sorry i know it is a bad stero type!!! Just struck me as funny!!! I don't drink very often and haven't had a drop since the IBS started. It tore up my tummy before I wouldn't want to see what it would do now YIKES!!

Thanks,

Sinead

--------------------
Heather7476

#111215 - 10/07/04 03:53 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

I will occasionally have a few glasses of wine if I feel like imbibing a little. I will make sure that I don't have anything importasnt to do the next as the chances of it bothering me are higher, and it'll be on a full stomach, while eating french bread or rice crackers.

Ditto with the red! new
      #111224 - 10/07/04 04:38 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I find that red wine is usually easier on my tum than white too. I like red better anyways. Go with a sweet red rather than a dry bordeaux. And eat well BEFORE you imbibe. If I know I'll be drinking later, I'll make sure not to skip any meals beforehand!!

I have to take like 6 immodium advanced as a preventative when I drink a glass of wine, tho. I wouldn't recommend it though (pay no heed to the drunk girl!!), because my IBS is pretty severe, and I really shouldn't be drinking!

~nelly~

#111230 - 10/07/04 04:46 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

I can tolerate a glass or two with my dinner once a week. My family and our "extended family" get together for Sunday dinners and have a great evening.Its our time too relax,and enjoy each others company; kind of like a destress time after a long week and before a new week!! The wine I usually like is a Rose wine (# 2) not too sweet and not dry. Try a glass and see what happens. Like LauraSue says it may not affect you right away, so if something happens later you will know it was the wine. Take care Sue

Re: Hey, fellow northern Ontario girl!!! new
      #111233 - 10/07/04 04:56 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

What's your experience with the medical system been as far as treatment for your IBS goes?

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#111262 - 10/07/04 06:38 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I can tolerate it ----after I've eaten something, but not on an empty stomach! Drinking it on an empty stomach makes my tummy cramp. I've gotten used to having a glass after my meal, and it doesn't bother me at all then.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 449 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1650

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review