All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I need Help Please
      #111016 - 10/07/04 05:47 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

My fiance and I are going to The Olive Garden for his dad's birthday tonight and I don't know what I can eat there. Every time I go there my stomach kills me for hours! Even my acid reflux. I love the food but I dread going there! I would rather go to Chili's, atleast they have grilled chicken.
Anyone have any suggestions? Please help me. I am doing so well. I don't want to be in th bathroom the entire night! Can I eat spagetti with tomatoe sause? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I need Help Please new
      #111037 - 10/07/04 06:59 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I haven't been able to do tomato sauces -- but others can. I wasn't at Olive Garden -- but at another restaurant and had Chicken Marsala -- and that didn't cause an attack for me.... I did take all my "stuff".

The Chicken Giardino sounded safe too -- though the veggies are listed as "fresh" so you should probably skip those -- and just eat the rest. They usually give you way more than a serving anyway.

I looked at their menu on-line to find this --- and I think the Marsala was safe because the alcohol cooked out. You may have to ask them not to add on any cheese though -- because a lot of times they will add on parm as a garnish.

#111041 - 10/07/04 07:13 AM
Lefty1

Reged: 08/09/04

Hi,

I checked out the menu online, if you haven't already, you might want to do the same.

Then call the restaurant with your request to have something different done with either their chicken or salmon (plain no sauces). The salmon looks the safest but check for yourself, as you know your triggers.

Have your SFS before you eat that particular meal. Try not to go to the restaurant hungry. Eat safe all day long to be in the best shape for tonight.

Pasta is a SF so that is a good base provided it is not in a butter or cream sauce. As for tomato's everyone seems to be different. You said you have acid reflux so my suggestion would be to stay away from them for tonight.

See if they can give you plain pasta, baked salmon and cooked carrots??? Drink water.

These are just suggestions I hope it helps. Have fun time tonight and I am glad to hear that you are doing well - I hope you stay that way after your dinner!

Lefty1 new
      #111046 - 10/07/04 07:37 AM
Sweetd

Thank you for your help and kind words!
I did look on the menu as well, but everything (the very few things that were safe) I didn't like, go figure. I will have to call and see if they will be able to do that. Or, I can always have salmon true, yum! I hope I am ok.

--------------------

kshsmom new
      #111047 - 10/07/04 07:38 AM
Sweetd

Thank you. That is good idea, and it sounds yummy too!

--------------------

If all else fails... new
      #111062 - 10/07/04 08:41 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

you could bring your own butter substitute and just order some plain cooked noodles. Or don't bring the sub, and just order the noodles and add some salt and pepper to it. Boring yes, but safe.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Re: If all else fails... new
      #111070 - 10/07/04 09:08 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

The only time I've eaten at olive garden, I got plain noodles, but ended up having an attack anyway cos of the stress. The waiter's helpful curiosity about my order had me too self concious, and I got anxious afterwards when attention was diverted to me and my order.

Go for sushi instead!!

~nelly~

#111073 - 10/07/04 09:20 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I have eaten at the Olive Garden before and I was fine but my IBS is not as severe as some of yours. I don't get acid reflux but I know tomato sauce is a trigger for that. I think the others have given you excellent advice. My only thing to add would be get the spaghetti plain tossed in a little olive and the bread sticks. I could make a meal out of the bread sticks. If they have chicken breasts ask for one plain with no sauce. I know this sounds bland but I have found out I can eat out lots of places if I keep it bland. Also, my key to success in eating out is to eat very little amounts...don't overstuff which is hard to do at a restaurant. Maybe you should leave the salad alone, too. One more thing, if you have a tendency towards "D" maybe take an imodium before you go and have gas pills on hand.

Good luck and have fun tonight.

Barbie

--------------------

#111093 - 10/07/04 10:35 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

good suggestions below with a fewnotes-

marsala and other wine based sauces are fine- the alcohol cooks out- I have actually done a few here at home too...

BE UPFRONT with the waitstaff- you have food allergies. the most severe being dairy. Its amazing. If I tell the waitstaff that, they'll jump to bring somethign I can eat and warn me if I'm about to order or eat soemthing that will be a problem- more then one restaurant I've been warned when the bread came to the table that it had dairy products by a kindly waiter after I had mentioned being allergic to dairy products.. it makes it much simpler and ends things there. you don't have to explain anything more, by saying multiple food allergies you are making it clear why your being very careful with everything else you order and not just avoiding dairy, but since the big culprit in many restaurants is dairy- thats what I say.. it works well.. and since I'm MSG sensitive I change it up and mention MSG in an oriental restaurant.. works well.. no questions when I bring my own soy sauce either.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: kshsmom new
      #111097 - 10/07/04 10:46 AM
Lil' Bell

Reged: 09/14/04
Loc: South Dakota, USA

Olive Garden- YUM! it is my hubby's and my fav restaurant.

The few times I have eaten there (recently) I had the seafood primavera (not a good choice for me- I was miserable for hours, maybe it was the tomato sauce), and last time I had the chicken giardino. It tasted wonderful and I had no probs at all....another idea is to ask for the sauce on the side so that you control how much of it you use...maybe just enough for flavor (all their dishes seem to swim in sauce.)

Good luck and try to have fun!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2468 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1077

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review