All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Anyone NOT Taking Soluble Fiber Products?
      #110947 - 10/06/04 07:47 PM
Teresa Lynn

Reged: 09/16/04

I had a rather negative experience with that gross orange flavored Metamucil a few years ago and haven't really been wanting to risk taking any soluble fiber products. Some of them are expensive and I feel like like death on a cracker right now anyway. When is a good time to try them and are there any that are safe enough for a big old scaredy cat to take? I've read about Acacia, but I can't even drink peppermint tea, which I absolutely loved, without a bad reaction. Thanks, Teresa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone NOT Taking Soluble Fiber Products? new
      #110953 - 10/06/04 08:16 PM
Carrieokie

Reged: 08/29/04
Loc: Colorado

I'm sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Metamucil caused me a lot of gas and pain so I switched to Citrucel. I started slow and eventually worked up to a high enough dose that I have been pretty much symptom free for about 11 days. I don't think I would have gotten better without soluble fiber being part of the solution.

#110957 - 10/06/04 08:32 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

Hello,

Let me know if you try the Divinity Icing and how it turns out. To answer your question.....you really need to start a SFS, I feel it is the most instrumental thing that makes me almost normal. However, I don't take as much as I read about other people taking. I take a brand called Renew Life FiberSmart that also contains a bunch of other digestive enzymes and stuff. Each capsule is only 1g of fiber and I only take one before each meal. But I do make sure I eat alot of soluble fiber foods such as mangos and I always start the day off with oatmeal.

I was scared to start the fiber supplement also. In fact I bought the bottle and then just stared at it for like 2 weeks. But it makes such a difference for me, and I am IBS-D, and I rarely get sick anymore, just if I am under too much stress or eat something really crazy like a chickenfried steak (but I am from Texas and sometimes can't help it)

Where do you get Renew LIfe FiberSmart? new
      #110958 - 10/06/04 08:50 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

...and is it a soluble or insoluble fiber supplement?

#110963 - 10/06/04 09:20 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hey Neighbor,
So you can't pass up the chicken fried steak? Ever eaten at Montana's in Weatherford. I guarantee you that they would have to call the ambulance for both of us if we ate that huge platter they bring out. Oh, I almost made the Divinty Icing this afternoon, but DH has already eaten half of the angel food cake. ARGH! I definately will be making it soon.
I'm IBS-D, too, plus I have panic disorder, fibromyalgia, and sleep apnea and much much more. Lucky me! I have to be so careful with everything I eat or take because certain meds inevitably sets off one of the above. Thanks for the advice and I will check the shelves of Wal*Mart tomorrow and make some kind of decision. Thanks, Teresa

#110966 - 10/06/04 09:37 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi Carrieokie,
Thanks for your response. My life revolves around IBS-D, panic disorder, major clinical depression, and fibromyalgia. I got a double dip out of the faulty gene pool. That's my main problem with trying anything new. I'm especially stubborn about trying new AD's because Paxil almost did me in and after that I was given Effexor. Ditto. Everytime, I go to the store and look in the pharmacy aisles, I'm always leary because I don't know what I can take that will be okay with the meds I take and my assortment of ailments. Most of the time, I just suffer through whatever I've come down with at the time. I'll buy some SFS tomorrow and then probably wait until I feel really confident before taking one. Thanks, Teresa

Re: I am not taking SFS, and I need to, desperately!! new
      #110974 - 10/06/04 10:33 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

HI Teresa, nice to meet you, I am from Tx too!

I am going to try the Citrucel, everything gives me gas, and I am soooooooooooo tired of it. I also take loads of meds, one more thing to swallow and I just might @#$#@@$$!!

Hope you start feeling better soon! gayla

Re: Anyone NOT Taking Soluble Fiber Products? ME! new
      #110995 - 10/07/04 01:22 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I tried psyllium and it was so gross I gave up. I kept meaning to get another but didn't manage it yet. I am stable without it though, and I think there are others who don't take one either and rely on the diet and prescription drugs to sort them out.
Sinead

--------------------
S.

Re:Teresa Lynn- not Weatherford Montana's, but Granbury new
      #110996 - 10/07/04 03:17 AM
angela3

Teresa,

I have had the chicken fried steak from the Granbury Montana's. But if I do cheat on the IBS diet, I only do it if I take the food home, and have nothing important to do the next day. In fact, i stay most religiously on the IBS diet all week long except on Fridays or saturdays, I allow myself to cheat for one meal. Sometimes I get sick, most of the time I don't. When I am out with other people or eating in public I usually get grilled chicken and a baked potatoe.

If you live near Granbury, I get my fiber supplement at the Better Health Market near Kroger's, they also sell organic chicken and alot of other stuff that is okay for us.

Re: Where do you get Renew LIfe FiberSmart? new
      #110997 - 10/07/04 03:24 AM
angela3

I get it at a local health food store called the Better Health Market. I am not sure if that is a private owned business or a chain store? I think it is mostly soluble fiber, it doesn't say on the bottle. It works well for me.......it might not be just because of the fiber it also contains other stuff such as fennel, l-glutamine, acidophilus, and alot of other stuff I don't have time to list.

The reason I went with this one instead of Heather's acacia, is because I wanted to start a fiber supplement on the first day I read her book, so I drove right over and bought it......and stared at it for 2 weeks because I was scared, and once I started taking it, it worked so well I didn't want to try anything else.

One time they even ran out and I paniced and the ladies at the store, special ordered it for me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 775 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18074

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review