All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Anyone NOT Taking Soluble Fiber Products? new
      #111135 - 10/07/04 12:46 PM
Teresa Lynn

Reged: 09/16/04

Hi Lene,
I keep checking my e-mail before running out the door to Wal*Mart. Am already eating the oatmeal in the mornings. My DH used to take Calan and it is very constipating. Glad you mentioned the Acacia because I'm very skittish about taking herbs and things like that. I know a man who was taking AD's and decided to add a little St. John's Wort to the mix. He woke up three days later from the little coma he'd put himself into. I felt really bad for him cause that's the kind of trouble I'd end up in should I do something similar. I have IBS-D and that was why I was initially wondering if I really needed anything at all. I read Heather's books and understand what she means about taking it regardless, but I need to check things out further with triggers. I am now suspicious of the safe fruits I've been eating. My food journal will eventually tell me what I need to know. Thanks, Teresa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone NOT Taking Soluble Fiber Products? new
      #111136 - 10/07/04 12:47 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Teresa, I STRONGLY recommend trying one. From what I've read, Benefiber or Heather's Acacia are the least goopy or gross! While some people don't need them or had problems with them, they have helped many more people than not. So chances are very good that they will help you.

As far as interactions with other meds, taking from me, the walking drugstore! It's not a problem. Heather says to think of SFS's as food not medicine. So they shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck!! And good for you!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Nope. They're a life saver for me & Acacia isn't at all gross -nt new
      #111139 - 10/07/04 12:52 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi Linz,
"Nope. They're a life saver for me & Acacia isn't at all gross." I guess everybody just have different systems and several of us have extra added problems to add to the mix. You always answer my posts and I appreciate it. I'm really gonna go look and see what I find as soon as I send this. Thanks, Teresa

Choosing The SFS new
      #111190 - 10/07/04 02:57 PM
Teresa Lynn

Well, I checked out everything they had in the place including Immodium-D. My vote goes to Benefiber, but I want to watch my food journal for another couple of weeks and see if I can spot the problem before I invest in any as it is expensive. DH was not happy to be on the safari at all which is so very helpful.

Thanks All,

Teresa

Re: Have you tried capsules? new
      #111234 - 10/07/04 04:58 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I take capsules right now because I can't face the goopy drinks either. I take 4 before lunch and 4 before dinner. I buy the psyllium capsules at the healthfood store and have no problem with bloating or anything.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Hello Teresa Lynn new
      #111235 - 10/07/04 04:59 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

From what I have read there is a STRONG link between anxiety disorders and IBS. I think that's why so many people on these boards find that antidepressants help them.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Hello Teresa Lynn new
      #111257 - 10/07/04 05:39 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi Abby,
Psyllium makes me extremely nauseous. I keep seeing you on the boards, but haven't had a chance to talk to you. Yeah, I think the same thing. IBS is an extra little gift basket that comes with the anxiety. I wasn't helped by any of the newer SSRI's, but I do take Sinequan which helped me a lot initially and still controls my depression that set in at age 15. All my relatives are on AD's so what can I say? Good to finally meet you. Teresa

anti goop here too... new
      #111302 - 10/08/04 04:11 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

both benefiber and acacia disolve fine in thicker foods- sauces, dips, dairy free puddings/ice creams, v-8 and applesauce are a few examples... I stirred it into the refried beans I had in my enchiladas yesterday for lunch.. I've stirred it into hummus... all kinds of treats... works great and yummy too..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: anti goop here too... new
      #111337 - 10/08/04 08:35 AM
Teresa Lynn

Khyricat,
What good ideas. I hadn't thought about hiding it in foods, but I shall give that a whirl. Thanks, Teresa

Re: Choosing The SFS new
      #111513 - 10/08/04 04:20 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

awww.. Benefiber is expensive- but it worked, and thats why I switched to acacia- much less expensive in the long run and seems to be working just fine!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3270 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18294

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review