All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Anyone NOT Taking Soluble Fiber Products? new
      #110999 - 10/07/04 03:45 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I didn't for a long time- metamucil and citrucel both caused me major problems.. but my GI pushed the issue and benefiber works.. but I did feel gassy the first week or 2 and chewed generic gas-x like no tomorrow... now I'm fine with it except I'm switching to acacia and did too much at once yesterday- so I need to cut back this AM and should be ok from here on in.. one reason I'm switching- acacia will stay liquid in a bottle for hours so I can put it in my water bottle and take it with me.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#111009 - 10/07/04 04:42 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Yes and no. I *was* taking 8g/day of Fiber Choice, and I found it really was very helpful. However, I fell off the wagon about a month ago, when I started an antidepressant, and I haven't really gotten back on since. I take it when I remember to, but that's not very often. I found that the antidepressant I'm on made such a HUGE difference in my IBS that I don't exactly need the SFS anymore - at least not in the dose I used to. (A smaller dose makes a difference now, if I happen to swing to the C side of things.)

I've heard that Benefiber is pretty good. If you found Metamucil gross, I'd probably skip Citrucel - I had a lot of problems with Citrucel, though, so maybe my opinion is a little biased. I really like the Fiber Choice, but inulin (the fiber in it) can be a little hard for some people to digest (I've had no problems with it). I've heard good things about the acacia too.

The benefit to the Benefiber and Fiber Choice is that you can usually find trial-sizes of them, so you can try them and avoid the expense if they turn out to not be for you. You'll probably have to talk to a pharmacist or doctor and see if they have samples of Benefiber - a pharmacist gave me a couple, so if you can't find them, I'll gladly send you mine. You can email me - my address is in my profile. A trial-size tube of Fiber Choice chewables should be pretty easy to find; I've seen them at Wal-Mart.

Oh yeah, one more thing - be careful with chewables. Some of them contain artificial sweeteners, which are a no-no!

Good luck!

Re: Anyone NOT Taking Soluble Fiber Products? ME! new
      #111012 - 10/07/04 04:49 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I took different ones (Citrucel the longest) for almost a year, and then was suffering from such severe bloating that I quit them cold turkey! I have been better ever since.

It's nice to not feel like I'm 9 months pregnant. My stomach is actually flat somedays. I had forgotten what that was like.

For me, it's better to just eat sensibly. My body just doesn't tolerate the SF. But everyone is different.

#111054 - 10/07/04 08:13 AM
Teresa Lynn

Reged: 09/16/04

Thanks to everyone who answered my posts. All of your answers were very helpful. Just as soon as my DH applies my natural hair color, Loreal Lightest Ash Blonde, and my hair dries, we are off to Walmart for the big SFS safari. I will let you know if I was able to overcome my fear of fiber and what I got. You're all the greatest! Purrs, Teresa

Hello Teresa Lynn new
      #111065 - 10/07/04 08:55 AM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

Welcome to the boards, I have been here for sometime I just not on the boards as often as I like. I take Heather's Acacia and I am IBS-D. I started in early spring and am now finally at the 2Tbsp. My advice whichever SFS you decide to take start with a small amount and work yourself up gradually. I think I read on here that you can get acacia at a health food store. I just order it from Heather, it is easier for me. It has really helped me keep things stable. I see you have panic disorder, are you taking meds for it and do they work for you? I have panic attacks which usually lead to a bout of D. In fact I am going into Phila. at the end of the month with friends and I am already dreading it! I keep thinking what if I get sick?

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: Hello Teresa Lynn new
      #111080 - 10/07/04 09:39 AM
Teresa Lynn

Hello Heather Robin,
Yes, I do take a benzodiazepine for my panic disorder. I refused to take it and my doctor had a difficult time convincing me that it would be in my best interest. That was 10 years ago and I am still on the same dose. My family says it's made all the difference in the world as far as they can tell. I've had IBS-D and panic disorder since I was 7 so it's been a lifelong problem for me. Traveling drives me wild, so I can certainly understand what you are feeling. You know what made the biggest difference for me? I found a "safe" person with whom I could share my panic problems with. Now, I just announce that I'm having one and go on with whatever I'm doing. With the meds, they are less intense and go away very quickly if I do have one. I've always wondered if I have IBS-D because of the PD or is it a seperate issue. You are free to e-mail me if you'd like and I'll answer anything you want to know about PD. Thanks for your input on the fiber. Teresa

Hi Teresa, new
      #111094 - 10/07/04 10:35 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I get panic attacks, too. I have been on Librax for several years. I take it before meals and it relaxes me and relaxes my tummy, too. I was taking 3 a day and then 2 a day. Now I try to take only 1 a day but on stressful days I go back to 2. I think it has really helped me.

Usually after my panic attack I get very nauseated. Sometimes get "D", too. Fortunately, my attacks have become less severe lately.

I don't take fiber, either. My IBS is mild and I don't have a lot of the severe pain that others describe. SFS's don't agree with me. As long as I watch my triggers and that helps, I'm going to stay away from them. A lot of people have been helped by SFS's, though. So, you need to do further research before you decide.

Good Luck
Barbie

--------------------

Re: Hi Teresa, new
      #111111 - 10/07/04 12:07 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi Barbie,
You're lucky that you can take them on an as needed basis. Wish I could, but my doctor made a schedule out for me to follow and I'll be taking them the rest of my life. My grandmother had PA until the day she died at 97. She took Librax too. I tried it, but it didn't work for me. My health problems are so complicated that I have trouble sorting out what is causing what. Thanks for the heads up on the SFS because I always have to take my other meds into consideration before taking something as simple as OTC drugs. Nausea is usually the sign that I'm getting ready to have a panic attack so I know what you mean. What I really hate are the ones that wake me up out of a sound sleep. I am so much better, but I'm still not where I want to be. I've had to accept my limitations, but that only happened four years ago. Good to hear from you. Teresa

Nope. They're a life saver for me & Acacia isn't at all gross -nt new
      #111117 - 10/07/04 12:26 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

#111125 - 10/07/04 12:35 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Hi Teresa, welcome to the Boards.

Some people are fortunate to not have to take SFSs, then there are people like me who really need an SFS. I take Citrucel, six caplets a day (3 grams) of fiber. I also eat a bowl of oatmeal everyday (3 grams) of fiber and incorporate soluble and insoluble foods into my meals.

I take a med called Calan which causes C. I will probably be on them for a while longer. I am trying to incorporate more protein, soy, rice dream and those sorts of things into my meals.

Citrucel has not been a problem for me lately, when I first started, I was gassy and had C almost everyday. But as I increased the dosage, I began to get some relief.

I cannot take Acacia, something in it invades my allergen system.

Good luck on finding one that works for you.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4374 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18294

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review