All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does IBS ever go away? FRUSTRATED IBS-C!!!!
      #110919 - 10/06/04 05:14 PM
Lauriea

Reged: 08/18/04

Hello all; I'm fairly new to this website and have recently been diagnosed with IBS-C. I'm following Heather's diet with pretty good results. I wonder, though, if IBS ever goes away or are with stuck with this diet and good and bad days forever? Is thewre anything that we can do to help ourfself along? A heath food store owner wants me to purchase probiotics, essential fatty acids, and flaxseed oil to "heal the bowels." Is he full of bologna(definitely NOT on the diet haha!) or is there some truth to his encouraging words. All replies are welcome as I feel very frustrated that I will have to deal with this forever. Thanks kindly. Lauriea

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does IBS ever go away? FRUSTRATED IBS-C!!!! new
      #110922 - 10/06/04 05:15 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I don't know if it ever goes away but I doubt it. I think it is probably chronic. I would move cautiously on any kind of supplement and add only one at a time so you can tell if it helps or hurts.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#110930 - 10/06/04 05:30 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Sorry but I don't think it every goes away!!! I sarted taking a probiotic about two weeks ago and I realy do think it helping. I am alot less bloated and have been having alot more good days!! I don't know about the other ones but I recomend trying a probiotic!! You could do a search with no time limits and you will find alot of other posts about this!!!
Good LUCK

Oh and WELCOME

--------------------
Heather7476

#110944 - 10/06/04 07:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Good idea to add one at a time. I have heard some people say they had IBS and they do not have ANY symptoms anymore. I guess it is possible. I worked for a woman who said her IBS was cured.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#110955 - 10/06/04 08:20 PM
Carrieokie

Reged: 08/29/04
Loc: Colorado

I have had quite a few people tell me that they used to have IBS and now are fine, including my doctor. I was originally diagnosed about 10 years ago. At that time my doctor did not tell me it was a chronic illness. I took fiber for a short time and then was fine for 10 years. This time I have been a lot sicker ... and for longer ... so imagine that it could be a part of my life for a while.

#111050 - 10/07/04 07:57 AM
shelley29

Reged: 08/25/04
Loc: Northeast, USA

Hi. I'm pretty new too, been following the diet a little over 2 months now. I have the IBS combo, if you will. I can't answer your question, as I believe everyone's different. From my own experience, I started low dose anti-depressants at the same time as the diet (I went on WEBMD to look up the medication, because it didn't come with any literature, that there was Heather's web site). I'm having more and more better days & I'm not 100% sure which it contributes to,... the diet or medication,... I believe it's some of both. I'm always hi-strung & I notice I'm a little more at ease these days & my body seems to like these diet guidelines.. I miss a lot of foods, especially dairy, but I'm much happier feeling GOOD. It's been so long since I could say I feel GOOD!!!! -Shelley

--------------------
-shelley
take it one day at a time.

#111071 - 10/07/04 09:16 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

The supplements that the health food store recommended should be fine, they may help but I don't think there is such a thing as a "cure" for ibs!!

I have had IBS for a long time about 19 years!! I have good days and bad. I used to go sometimes for a month or two without a problem but the least 5-6 years it seems to have gotten worse despite the diet and medications. I really think it varies from person to person.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#111231 - 10/07/04 04:54 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

A guy I work with had it for a year and had all kinds of tests and it suddenly went away.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#111454 - 10/08/04 02:46 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

IBS does not go away, there is no cure for it. We can, however, control it by following the diet, taking our SFS, exercising and coming to this board to help relieve stress that me might be feeling.

your HFS person was not full of crock, some of the things he told you are mentioned on this board.

We all wish it would go away, we all suffer individually. We all must accept the fact that we have IBS and do what we can to help ourselves.

Hang in there, once you start to feel better you will see that it's okay to have IBS as long as we follow certain standards, with it.

BIG HUGS TO YOU!!!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Prednisone and IBS D new
      #111458 - 10/08/04 02:57 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Has anyone ever had to take Prednisone that has IBS? I have to be on it for a week and was wondering how it affects the IBS. I'm not thrilled about it, but I have two buldging discs in my neck that are causing nerve problems and the Dr. wants me to try this. Any help would be appreciated. Cheryl

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5351 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2660

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review