All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chemical in Bananas ?
      #110520 - 10/05/04 09:50 AM
TerrifickFlair

Reged: 02/25/04

Heather,
I have found everything in your books to be absolutely true. There isn't anything I disagree with. You really know the ins & outs of IBS,all the way down to not being able to eat peppermint.The only thing I have a question on is Bananas. What is the chemical in this fruit that causes people to have diarrhea/vomit? I hope I have hit all the correct buttons to post,because everything is very confusing to me. Terri Sidell TerrifickFlair@aol.com

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chemical in Bananas ? new
      #110828 - 10/06/04 01:37 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

bump

anyone know?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#110871 - 10/06/04 03:09 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I cheated and googled:

Quote:

Fructose is a natural calorie-containing sugar found in fruit. It is one reason why large amounts of fruit can cause diarrhea. It may also be found in candies, soft drinks, honey, and preservatives and in sufficient amounts can cause diarrhea. Many people notice that their bowel movements are looser and more frequent in the summer when fresh fruits and vegetables are freely available. This is seldom a big problem, but moderating intake of these otherwise commendable foods should give comfort to some.

http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/chronicdiarrhea.html

HOWEVER ...Bananas are good guys...

Quote:

Bananas are also part of the BRAT diet, a diet many physicians and nurses recommend for children recovering from gastrointestinal upsets, particularly diarrhea. BRAT stands for the different components that make up the diet: Bananas, Rice cereal, Applesauce, Toast.

http://www.gulfmd.com/health%20issues/Nausea_and_bananas.asp?id=16

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#111453 - 10/08/04 02:30 PM
TerrifickFlair

Reged: 02/25/04

Thanks for the response on the Bananas! I suspected it was the fructose,since I have tried other fiber with it and mashing it,hopeing it would be more digestable,and less problematic. Terri Sidell

#111467 - 10/08/04 03:12 PM
Teresa Lynn

Reged: 09/16/04

cailin,
Bananas and avocados both make me extremely ill. I get a burning sensation in the pit of my stomach and feel very uncomfortable. I haven't had either one in years. This was even before I realized I had IBS-D. Teresa

#111486 - 10/08/04 03:37 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

That's awful, bananas are one of my safest foods, and my Mum always used to think they were undigestable. I LOVE them in smoothies or with breadrolls etc. The avocados is possibly fructose too...good luck with your google!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#111515 - 10/08/04 04:21 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

Strangely for me banannas used to hurt my stomach back when I had no IBS at all (the good old days). Anyway, now that I do have IBS, I can eat banannas just fine. However, banannas give me migraine headaches (from some chemical they have in them, don't know the name). Anyway, the point of this post, is since I can't have banannas I use mangos in my smoothies instead. They are similiar in texture to a banannas and make things smooth. I am going to research the chemical in banannas, because now I am curious.

#111577 - 10/08/04 06:50 PM
Teresa Lynn

Reged: 09/16/04

Tyramine is found in certain foods. Two foods which contain tyramine are avocados and bananas. Tyramine is a normal substance in the body that helps support blood pressure. Tyramine is also thought to trigger cluster headaches. There's a much longer list of items that contain this substance. I think I found my answer and I hope this helps you. Thanks. Teresa

Re: Thanks, Teresa. Chemical in Bananas ? new
      #111744 - 10/09/04 04:47 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

That explains why both avacados and banannas give me migraines.

thanks!

#111778 - 10/09/04 09:43 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

i agree what you metioned about fruits. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 588 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1531

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review