Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS and Aikins
      #109702 - 10/01/04 06:39 PM
Cynthia Anne

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Henderson, Nevada, USA (Las Vegas)

HI I am new here
My husband and I both have IBS-D his started about 5yrs ago and mine about 2 yrs ago (after I had my 4th son).
His has finally been controlled with Probiotics, but I tried the stuff and got violently sick.
I have been trying to avoid dairy, as it certainly is a trigger, though everything seems to bother me now. I am very overweight after all my births and so I tried Atkins last summer (2003). I got violently sick then, though I had lost 17 pounds in 2 weeks.
Now, in desperation to lose weight and feel better, I have started atkins again- 4 weeks ago and have had constant diarehia- it wakes me up every morn about 5am and the cramps are horrible. It goes on until about noon. Don't get me wrong, I had the problems before the Atkins, but they are 20 times worse now.
I have read the IBS diet and am going to start with my husband, who only has bouts about once a week since being on the probiotics.
I grew up eating healthy- fruit and vegys- no red meat and only started chicken when I was 21 (I am 40 now).
I also grew up with constant exercise and the best I have ever felt in my life was during the times when I worked out.
I have the IBS, daily migraines, fibromyalgia, and thoracic outlet syndrome. I just want to be healthy and that does include losing the weight. My boys are 8 down to 2 and we want another child still. My pain level is so high that I have trouble getting to exercise.

Anyone have any wisdom or tips- hints- or even motivation, I'll listen, otherwise we're starting here with the IBS diet and we'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and Aikins new
      #109714 - 10/01/04 07:51 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hi Cynthia Anne! Welcome to the boards!

I'm so glad to hear you're starting with the IBS diet. You might notice improvements right away, with how you feel, or it might take a month or so or maybe even longer... but either way, stick with it & don't cheat. It really has been a lifesaver for a lot of us, myself included.

I did the Atkins things too, back in January. Long story short, I ended up so sick that I couldn't eat ANYTHING without diarrhea and cramping. I was living on imodium, not eating anything but crackers and water, and really was almost hospitalized because of it. Atkins is bad news anyway, but especially for people with IBS. You WILL feel better; just stick with it.

As for the weight loss... it sounds like you already know, in your heart, what you need to do to get healthy. You can do it!! The IBS diet may even help you along your weight-loss goals. Years ago, eating a similar low-fat diet, I lost close to 100 lbs and kept most of it off permanently. Just watch out for the sweets - they're tempting!

Anyway, I'm just kind of rambling... welcome to the boards, I do hope you'll keep coming back, and please feel free to ask any questions that pop into your head - we love to help!

Re: IBS and Atkins new
      #109717 - 10/01/04 08:06 PM
Cynthia Anne

Hi Atomic Rose-
thanks for the encouragement!
Cynthia

Welcome! new
      #109737 - 10/02/04 05:28 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If you're really strict about rarely eating the sweet stuff, then you should lose weight on this diet anyway. I think it'll be so much easier if you don't START eating the sweet-comfort-food we're allowed -that was my downfall! I ate loads because it was so wonderful to have "naughty" foods that didn't make me ill. But now I'm 24 pounds overweight! So don't go there! It doesn't help me that I'm more tolerant of higher fat foods than a lot of IBSers. Darn stuff! Why does it have to be LETTUCE that I'm afraid of and not fries!

I also have Fibro so I sympathise on not being able to exercise so much. It sucks. If I went to the gym 6 days a week like Shell, I'd just die. But keeping active is very important for both IBS and Fibro, even if it's only walking and yoga. Oh yes, yoga! It's so cool. [Note to self, MUST practice more! ].

Good luck to both of you with this!

Welcome Cynthia Anne! new
      #109752 - 10/02/04 07:23 AM
Kimmy

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Upstate New York

You are definetely in the right place. The people here are great and Heather's diet is not only good for IBS but for your overall health also.

I am also 40 years old, IBS A, and have been on the diet since May. The only time I have any trouble is when I try something that unknowingly has triggers in it. Unlike most of the people on this board I can only tolerate minute amounts of table sugar (fruit sugar does not bother me at all). Because the diet is so low fat, and if you limit the amount of sugar you have, you should have no problem losing weight. I can tell you that I eat all day long and have no weight problems.

Also, you mentioned how good you felt when you were exercising - I use pilates work out tapes called Winsor Pilates. My energy level is not real high and these tapes are only 20 minutes long, low impact, relaxing and do not make you feel exhausted. The exercises make you feel great and really do help tone your body. My favorite Winsor Pilates tapes are "20 minute Total Body Sculpting" and "Bun & Thigh Sculpting" which is also 20 minutes long. The tapes can be purchased on line www.winsorpilates.com or by calling 800-747-3503.

Anyway, hope this helps and I hope you feel better soon.

Kim

Hi, Cynthia Anne! new
      #109759 - 10/02/04 07:56 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Welcome to the board! I too am trying to lose some unwanted pounds and am struggling to do so because I'm unable to exercise like I used to because of health problems. It is so frustrating!

I have not tried Atkins, but I think it would kill me! All of the things on the Atkins diet (high fat and protein) are the biggest IBS triggers for me. Heather's IBS diet is just the opposite of Atkins---it suggests lots of bread, rice, potatoes, etc. and fat in minimal amounts. More than WHAT I eat, I find my biggest problem is WHEN I eat something. For instance, I can tolerate a small amount of chocolate on a full stomach (like after a meal), but eating it on an empty stomach causes problems.

Hopefully, you can find some suggestions here that will help you. And you will have a lot of people here to "talk" to that have the same problem as you! Good luck!

Re: Here are some ideas for how to get started!!! new
      #109765 - 10/02/04 08:11 AM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

My advice to you is start with a very stripped down IBS diet and slowly add foods to see what you can handle. So for several days eat nothing but high quality white bread (I use butter flavored cooking oil spray instead of marg -- it's lower fat and many margarines have dairy ingreds!), plain potatoes, rice. Then slowly add other safe foods like cooked carrots, sweet potatoes, applesauce, bananas. Then try chicken or fish, no skin. Some people can tolerate peas and spinach fairly well. Always eat safe foods first. Also try a soluble fiber supplement -- I have three or 4 psyllium capsules before lunch and dinner and always eat a white roll, plain pasta, or rice first. I have life cereal with soy milk for breakfast. The soy milk took a little getting used to but I read while I eat breakfast and that helped distract me till I was used to it. I am lucky as spicy foods don't bother me. A new Indonesian restaurant has opened up here and I love it!! No dairy, low fat, and lots of rice and spice.

I avoid:
beef
all dairy
carbonated beverages
caffeine
margarine
broccoli!! Just killer!!!
cauliflower
chocolate
high fat cookies (I eat loads of cinnamon grahams and gingersnaps)
bran (I have IBS-D so I avoid this unless things are going well for me)

You might also talk to your dr about antidepressants -- they have helped a lot of us. And try yoga and/or relaxation exercises. At least half of IBS sufferers also have an anxiety disorder. It's really important to work on that.

Take it one day at a time, good luck!!!

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#109778 - 10/02/04 09:00 AM
Lefty1

Reged: 08/09/04

Hi Cynthia,

We have four children. Our kids are 13 down to 5. My kids are very good kids. I love our family and the size of our family. I respect that you want more children.

IF stress is a trigger for you I just wanted to share with you from my personal kid/family experience - it is still stressful. (My husband has IBS-A).

It is a different kinds of stress for the parents as the children get older. In the begining your tired from lack of sleep and doing everything for each child. Then each child emereges into their own person with their own struggles. friends, choices, grades, acne, making the team, not making the team, after school schedules, worry, fears, etc....

Our life when they were younger was crazy busy two of my girls are 11 months apart. Now I find they need me and my husband in such a different but no less demanding way.

I am sorry that the Atkins diet made you so sick.

I hope this helps I hope the pain goes away for you so you can ge out and exercise. It sounds like that really gave you energy and peace.

I do know that when my husband feels ill. He goes out and rides his bike no matter what at first it was scary for him. Being away from home when not feeling well. Now he knows that he can deal with what every might come his way.

I don't know if any of this helps...I found that I am talking more about me then you. Sorry about that!

Take Care,
Lefty

#109854 - 10/02/04 05:12 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Ohmigoodness another fibro friend! You poor thing! There's several of us with fibro, including me. And you have daily migraines!!! That's so not fair!

To give you some hope, Heather's diet got rid of my IBS-D! I haven't had an attack for 8 and a half MONTHS -- YAYAYAYAYAY!!! I've also gotten my migraines controlled down to about two a month. So it CAN BE DONE!!!

Good for you for starting the IBS diet. As far as hints and motivation, I think your being violently ill is better than any motivation we could come up with. You poor thing!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#109944 - 10/03/04 08:50 AM
Cynthia Anne

HI Lefty,

Thanks for your support and note. Anything helps. I guess misery loves company, as the old saying goes. It's nice to have people who can understand.
Stress is definately a problem- with four little boys and the daily migraines that are worsened by noice and activity, but yes, I still want another child??? I ask my husband if I am crazy and if I can survive another pregnancy (I get SOOO sick the whole time) He says I always manage to pull off anything I really want.
Hopefully, the IBS diet will help. It's a start. (I love cheese- that will be hard- and butter- and salad) I grew up eating no meat (including chicken) so my Mom pushed cheese and eggs and dairy for the protein. Cream cheese on white bread was my sack lunch daily sandwich ( i hate peanut butter!)
Well, I guess I'll adjust- if I can change the IBS, that's one less pain to worry about!
Thanks for the support!!!
Cynthia

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2068 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2651

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review