All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Dieting and IBS
      #109537 - 10/01/04 10:23 AM
Jo1515

Reged: 08/22/04

I already posted this once but think I did it wrong. I need some pointers on the best way to lose weight and maintain the IBS diet. I really probably need to start out with a total elimination diet and stick to breads? I am not sure can someone help me? I have gained 20 pounds in two years and think I just was using food for comfort when it really was the problem.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dieting and IBS new
      #109560 - 10/01/04 11:57 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If you try the diet and don't eat too many sweet things (including Heather's veggie breads), then you'll probably lose some weight anyway. Just be very careful of sugar - alot of us start eating more of that to compensate for what we can't eat and it piles the pounds on!

Read this information on the diet: Diet

#109611 - 10/01/04 01:08 PM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

That is exactly what I am afraid of. I need to lose 5 more lbs. and I will be at my ideal weight. However, now after discovering this website, ordering Heather's books and supplements, I still have no idea what I am doing. I do NOT want to eat all those sugary cereals for snacks. It goes against everything I have ever learned. Could some of you post what you eat on a couple of days so I could get a better idea. In the books, it's always the breads (sweeted with honey or sugars), sweetened cereals for snacks....... a normal day for me now is:
Breakfast: 3 egg whites, one piece of whole wheat bread
Snack: Cottage cheese and yogurt
Lunch: Salad, grilled chicken breast and no fat or low fat dressing
Snack: Mozzarella sticks and apple
Dinner: Grilled salmon, brown rice and asparagus
Snack: Popcorn
Yes, I have a problem with IBS and want to ease the problems but I just seem to have a real problem with my mindset to this new way of thinking that white rice is ok, no dairy, pretzels and Honeycomb cereal is good.......Can anyone help me or point to a previous post on this subject?
Thank you!

#109618 - 10/01/04 01:17 PM
CindyC

Yes, I lost my 14 lbs. following the Body for Life way of eating and exercising. I will continue to do the exercises. But the eating is not working for me obviously or I would not be here on this message board. I really want to learn this way of eating but it is so foreign to me. Please bear with me as I continue to learn.

#109661 - 10/01/04 02:40 PM
Linz

Are you C? You don't have to eat processed food and lots of sugar on this diet! In fact it's best for you if you don't, but you do need to come to realise that stuff like white rice, white bread, etc are still good for you and better for your IBS. Your current diet would be great without IBS, which is a good thing as you'll have less to give up (fast food, pizza, etc). However, your current diet would totaly kill me. Okay....

Breakfast: egg whites are really good, just try to change the whole wheat bread to fresh white. Note, NOT stuff filled with additives, but as fresh as you can get it.
Snack: Change to a soy yogurt and rice cakes
Lunch: The grilled chicken breast and no fat or low fat dressing is great, just cut down on the salad and eat it AFTER a something like a baked potato.
Snack: Change the mozzarella to soy mozzarella on crackers and the apple to applesauce (cooked apple) or at least peel it first.
Dinner: Have your grilled salmon, but with white, not brown, rice and eat most of that before you start on the asparagus (yummy!).
Snack: Try and cut down on the popcorn (although some people can tolerate a bit) and switch it for rice cakes or crackers sometimes.

Hope this helps!

Btw, for all people wanting to lose weight, WeightWatchers can work with the IBS diet. You just need to make all those "free" veggies into soups before eating!

#109664 - 10/01/04 02:51 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I know how you feel. I also used food for comfort and I feel like that is why I am having a problem with depression right now. I lost my secertiy food. But I have lost 40 pounds on HEATHER'S DIET. Cutting out the fast food was a huge step. Cutting my dairy intake to almost nothig also made a huge differnce. You will get there I promise!!
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

#109666 - 10/01/04 03:01 PM
heather7476

Don't worry your not alone. I am having a hard time changing my diet to but every day it is a bit easier. I have NEVER ate healthy in my life so this a huge change for me. Congrats on the weight loss!!! I have lost 40 pounds on Heather's diet so it can be done!!
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

#109668 - 10/01/04 03:10 PM
CindyC

Thanks for the substitution ideas. I have gotten so ingrained into the BFL way of eating that I simply find it impossible to imagine eating any other way. Your ideas were great. It still hurts though to think about eating white bread instead of whole wheat. I guess I have to think about my gut instead of my waist!!

Weight Watchers and IBS new
      #109703 - 10/01/04 07:02 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I am depressed because I need to lose a lot of weight, and I've lost some in the past on Weight Watchers. But when I followed WW, I always ate a lot of fresh fruit, raw vegetables and high fiber foods (which WW pushes!!!). Another problem is most of my WW recipes are for things made with artificial sweeteners (such as FF Cool Whip and Jello). Now I realize all of these things were huge IBS triggers for me!

How do you eat low point foods on WW---and it not be high fiber ones or fresh veggies and fruits????

Anyone with suggestions? Please help because I've got to do something about this extra weight. It is affecting my health.

Re: Weight Watchers and IBS new
      #109741 - 10/02/04 05:36 AM
Linz

I'm not saying it wasn't hard, but it can be done. I just got really bored of doing it! Now I'm getting really bored of looking at photos and my hubby saying I looked really slim then! I found the key was to do regular exercise to get the extra points needed! On WW I usually ate...

Breakfast: bowl of cereal with soy milk (measured of course).
Snacks: 2 plain rice cakes.
Lunch: One tuna sandwich made with tuna in water and a little low-fat mayo, plus "free" cucumber.
Dinner: Mushroom risotto or pasta with tomato sauce (homemade so minimal fat) or grilled fish with rice and veggies.

It is possible, I promise! But obviously the more exercise you do, the more bonus points you get, so the more SF foods you can eat! I need to do this too.

Bread new
      #109742 - 10/02/04 05:38 AM
Linz

Well, they're usually the same amount of calories, it's just that one has more insoluble fibre, so it's healthier for non-IBS people. But we have to be so careful how we get our insolubles that wholewheat bread is usually a no-no.

I'm like you - I've lost 48 now new
      #109747 - 10/02/04 06:52 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

It was slow and steady - between 1 - 3 pounds a week. I lost 45 pounds and 54 inches the first year --- and during that year I did some sort of workout 3 times a week only for 9 weeks. (I kept a log) The rest of it was just Heather's IBS diet.

Linz,. I agree new
      #109748 - 10/02/04 06:58 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I agree wholeheartedly about the exercise thing. But for the first time in my life, I am unable to exercise because of health problems. Every time I do, I strain something in my back----last night I was in such pain, I had to take 2 Celebrex before bedtime. (which has caused C this morning).

I would love nothing more than to go to a gym or at least walk around my neigborhood. But between the problems I've had with my feet while walking (structural problems I have---doctor has tried everything!) and my back problem now, I can't go more than several days of exercising without having to stop.

I didn't know how fortunate I was in the past to be able to go to the Y every day and work out!!!! I will never lose this weight without exercising!!!

Exercise new
      #109815 - 10/02/04 01:10 PM
Linz

Have you tied swimming or something like water aerobics? Both would be pretty easy on both your back and your feet. Remember to stretch before you do any exercise - it's especially important when you haven't been exercising regularly.

But I know what you mean. I used to keep fit and keep the weight off going to the gym 3 times a week. Now I might get to the gym, but I'm not up to doing a tenth of what I used to do.

Re: I'm like you - I've lost 48 now new
      #109826 - 10/02/04 01:50 PM
heather7476

Way to go. Good For You!! Doesn't it feel great to lose some weight. I just wish it wasn't because of IBS
But hey lost weight is lost weight
CONGRATS

--------------------
Heather7476

#109867 - 10/02/04 05:45 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Jo and welcome!! I have found it pretty easy to count calories and maintain the IBS diet, because it's basically a very healthy diet. Low fat, emphasis on healthy filling foods, and safe ways to get our fruits and veggies. Just stay away from sweets! I find that I absolutely HAVE to write down the calories I'm eating and keep track. Otherwise I forget and fool myself into eating larger portion sizes than I should.

So good for you! Oh, the best pointer is keep coming back here and reporting in on how you're doing!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#109868 - 10/02/04 05:48 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Doberdogs, just wanted to say hi and welcome to you too! Have you tried cracked wheat bread? It's made with half white flour and half whole wheat, so the white soluble fiber flour cushions the whole wheat flour. It's important to get both for general health as soon as you can eat it without an IBS attack.

Any IBS safe food is okay for dieting, except maybe our "Antidepressant Brownies!"

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2590 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2006

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review