All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Still need help! (Please don't let this get bumped down!)
      #108721 - 09/27/04 10:32 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Okay, I had mentioned in the past about how I have severe constipation and have been stupid and taking laxatives for some time now. Well, I was taking dulcolax about twice per week (because it was the only one that worked) and a few weeks ago started my gradual intake of soluble fiber. I started very slow and I just now got to 15 grams per day a couple days ago. Over the course of the last month I have done this, no bm's, so I still took the dulcolax, but now I'm just doing it once a week (but that's the only time I poo poo!) I'm taking a health store soluble fiber called Fiber Rite, which contains Apple Pectin, Oat Bran, and Guar Gum two to three times per day and sometimes will throw Heather's fiber onto a meal to make for a dose as well. I last had a BM a week ago from dulcolax. Sunday night (yesterday) I was pretty bloated, but actually got a little bit out after dinner! Wasn't much, but means alot since it wasn't done by a laxative. I can't even remember the last time something came out of me without one. I was so bloated and tight though still today from not really going in a week I had to do the dulcolax. My question is....is the dulcolax slowing things down? With all that fiber I"m now taking I feel like it's a waste. Shouldn't I be going everyday??? I would think most people with all that fiber would be running to the bathroom! I was thinking that maybe I couldn add a psyllium husk drink to the mix, since it contains 7 grams, would that on top of the SF be TOO much, or would it maybe speed things up? I'm fed up! I've added so much fiber to my diet as well and just get bad gas. Help guys!!!!

Constipated in Phoenix.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Still need help! (Please don't let this get bumped down!) new
      #108726 - 09/28/04 01:09 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'd try switching the Fiber Rite for a psyllium based SFS. I know some other people on here with C have better results with psyllium, although it does cause bloating. I think Kandee takes psyllium before bedtime so she's bloated at night, not during the day!

Btw, Oat Bran will not be SF. I know Guar Gum is one of the SFS that can be problematic.

Are you getting plenty of "safe" insoluble fibre?

PS. With all these SFSs, make sure you're drinking LOADS of water!

#108743 - 09/28/04 06:25 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I second that - soluble fiber alone will not cure you of C. You must get some insoluble fiber in your diet. Are you eating enough fruits and vegetables? I seem to do best with at least one serving per meal.

--AC

#108787 - 09/28/04 08:59 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree, more INsoluble fiber!! And tons of water and exercise!! Since your stool is staying inside you for so long, it gets dried out and makes it harder to pass. The water, TONS of water and exercise will help this!

It doesn't matter how much solible fiber you take, if your prone to C and don't get enough insoluble fiber with it, it will actually make you worse! I learned that the hard way!!! Hummus, pickles, fruits, veggies, beans-get some insoluble fiber going!! I even have a small salad or bowl of raisin bran on occasion! Start slow and be aware of what your eating and how often. If I were to eat raisin bran everyday, I'd be in trouble but once or twice a week is fine! Its all about balance and what your body needs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#112637 - 10/13/04 09:16 AM
toffee

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: UK

I know it's a while since this thread, but just wondering how things are for you now, Jessica. I hope things have improved since you pasted this thread. Let us know.
Take care,
David

#112667 - 10/13/04 10:14 AM
MissyB

Reged: 07/22/04

Hi,
I hope this won't be taken the wrong way by anyone, but I have personally tried everything under the sun and get no results so I have been there, (other than from a harsh laxative like dulcolax, which the GI Dr says DO NOT use as it creates dependency) Anyway back to my point, there are other problems you could have aside from or including IBS. So, in my mind, if you feel like you have tried everything having given it sufficient time to work, and the only purpose it serves is to bloat you, build up and make you sick and you will not budge, you should go back to the Dr because it isn't right. I am being sent to Mayo (in Scotts) for this exact reason, to have motilty testing. You should be aware that there are conditions, neuro and auto immune diseases that sometimes appear as IBS in the beginning, maybe even for years (which it looks like *might* the case for me) I have been told by 2 GI Dr's, "You have IBS, that's IT" but it's turning out that is is certainly not the only thing I have. Sometimes the Dr's are wrong (you can't tell them though, lol) I've been diagnosed with a nerve disease that normally appears with MS or Lupus. I have been made to feel like a hysterical housewife for 2 years now. Thankfully, I found a nicer PCP who sent me to a sharp ENT for a persistant ear pain and swollen glands, which he determined NOT an infection, but a nerve disorder, then from there to a good neurologist who has begun some serious testing. Fortunately it looks like MS is probably not the case, so they are moving on to some auto immune diseases, like Lupus. All this has coincided with my GI Dr finally exhausting his measures and sending me to Mayo. I just knew that drinking any more goop or ingesting any more fiber of any kind was not helping and adding more wasn't going to help because my intestines for whatever reason just aren't functioning right. So hang in there, and remember, if something doesn't feel right, it usually isn't!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4774 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 960

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review