All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Vegetables... don't I wish. (long post; sorry.)
      #108655 - 09/27/04 03:16 PM
blastoff99

Reged: 09/27/04
Loc: NW WA

Long-time listener, first-time caller. Thanks, Heather, for such a great board full of info and help. And thanks to all the rest of you for sharing your experiences. I really enjoy learning from *other* people's mistakes rather than my own, when possible.

Here's the deal: I consider myself very fortunate that things are under control enough that I can leave my house, hold a job, travel a bit. And I can even eat stuff that appears to trouble many of you. But... should I as much as look sideways at a vegetable or whole grain, I'm doomed. This isn't strictly true, as I can on rare occasions get away with cooked salsa (never fresh), and once ate a cooked carrot with only minor ill effects. But anything green is the kiss of death, no matter how peeled / chopped / cooked / pureed it is.

I've pretty much come to emotional grips with giving up my favorite lunch (brown rice with refried beans and salsa) and dinner (brown rice with vegetable and chicken stir-fry), but I'm getting a tad concerned about entire missing food groups from my diet. So, how to get those veggies and whole grains? The local HFS sells this green Stuff in powder form that, when taken by the 1/4 teaspoon, allegedly gives you all the nutrients you need from veggies and whole grains. I'm skeptical. Sounds like snake oil to me, but since *eating* the stuff doesn't appear to be an option... I dunno.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on how to succeed in eating vegetables when so far (6 months) everything has failed, and viability of available "substitutes." TIA.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vegetables... don't I wish. (long post; sorry.) new
      #108670 - 09/27/04 04:17 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi TIA,

That's awful that you can't tolerate vegetables, even pureed! That was going to be my only suggestion until I saw your comment.

I, like you, am very weary about the vitamins and supplements out there. Perhaps someone else will be able to provide a better solution out there than I am.

Welcome to the boards and hopefully someone can answer your question!

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

#108676 - 09/27/04 04:45 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I can handle some vegetables and seem ok with v-8 so I figure that can make up for the lack of other vegetables in my diet.. but one question for you- can you tolerate beans? there is a lot of nutrition in those.. I know I use them a lot as a way to round out my diet... if not.. I hope someone else can make some better suggestions..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#108682 - 09/27/04 04:57 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Hi....This may sound silly but I actually take the beans out of string beans and then eat the "casing" of the string bean. I love string beans but I think the beans in them are what kills my stomach. I can't eat corn on the cobb or off the cobb either. It must be those little seeds in both of them. I can eat pretty much all other veggies. I feel for you though cause I often wonder how the heck I can get calcium in my body since I can't tolerate milk products. The only thing that doesn't bother me is cheese but that certainly is not enough calcium.
I don't have any other suggestions for ya as to how to incorporated veggies in your diet. Just thought I'd mention that the seeds are what do me in. Maybe they are your problem too?

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#108685 - 09/27/04 05:31 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi and welcome, TIA

I'm in the same boat you are so I'm not going to have much advice. I have a mild case of IBS and can eat things others can't like lean beef and a little dairy but.....vegatables....no way. The only thing I can tolerate are a couple bites of cooked carrots or a few peas in my rice and a tomato on a sandwich and sometimes a salad will be OK. I wish so much I could eat veggies because I know they are so good for you. I do take a multivitamin so I hope that is helping me. I really do feel pretty good most of the time.

I have heard from others that the baby food veggies like carrots & squash work pretty good. I am going to get brave soon and try them.

Good luck to you.
Barbie

--------------------

#108695 - 09/27/04 05:51 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I can eat sweet potatoes, peas, and carrots (raw or cooked). I have heard some other people have good luck with cooked spinach. I also put Boston lettuce on my sandwich for lunch every day but it's inside a huge slice of baguette -- nicely wrapped in soluble fiber.

I can't even LOOK at broccoli. Shudder, scary. I figure I am better off being veggie deficient than having diarrhea all the time. Lesser of two evils. I take a very high quality multivitamin too.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#108714 - 09/27/04 09:02 PM
blastoff99

By the way... TIA = "thanks in advance."

Thank you for your suggestions. I will give the baby food a try. amo616, I like it that you "hide" the lettuce in a baguette. I tried this with pasta -- went for the green stuff. Figured it was just green food color, and they just CALL it "spinach fettucine." Ha! That didn't work out too well. Guess there really is spinach in there.

I also take a multivitamin. How on earth do I know, really know, that it's a "high quality" one? As with any supplement, the range of available prices is huge. I tend to err on the side of Costco....

My primary care doc is shipping me off to a naturopath. Insurance will cover two whole visits, but I'm less concerned with costs and more interested in trying to figure something out. We'll see.

Thanks, all.

#108816 - 09/28/04 11:08 AM
gopher

Reged: 09/15/04
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

That really stinks that you are having issues w/ veggies.....I dont know what I would do without them...
I am unable to eat raw broccoli (sp?) and cauliflower, however I can eat them steamed....Raw carrots, no problem, same with tomatoes and cucumber......Lettuce, not so much, only occasionaly.....I find the way the vegetables are prepared makes a huge difference....

Good Luck!

V8 new
      #108926 - 09/28/04 07:20 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I have been dinking V8. It doesn't bother me at all, and it tastes good. All veggies bother me, especially greens. I can eat carrots, but that is about it so far. I will eventually, try to add more,slowly, but for now I have been drinking the V8.

This is a safe way to get insoluble fiber. It has lettuce, carrots, spinach, beats, watercrest, tomatoes, celery and a few other veggies. I suggest buying some V8. You can stay on it indefinatley, but I would suggest later adding frozen veggies. V8 is good to have once a day, but it contains a lot of sodium, so eating actual fresh or frozen veggies would be good to eat later in the day (since you need more than one veggie in take a day). That way you won't be in taking so much sodium. Good luck!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Re: V8 -- low sodium new
      #108931 - 09/28/04 08:00 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I bought the low-sodium variety and it is yummy. No need for all that extra salt.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: V8 new
      #108941 - 09/28/04 09:16 PM
blastoff99

This brings up a really interesting point. A few months ago, when things were really bad, I simply gave up eating for awhile. (Note: I am not advocating this for everybody. My body simply seems to respond well to fasting. YMMV.) I drank lots of water, and Gatorade, and herbal tea for about three days. Of course, I was still spending all day in the bathroom... that's what five or so quarts of liquid a day will do. I felt better than I had in ages. I added low-fat chicken broth. Still fine. Long about Day 5, I added V8. Discomfort, bloating, and cramping ensued. It wasn't awful since there was at that point absolutely nothing in my colon, but I was pretty sorry I had done it nonetheless.

From everything I've read here, this should not be the case. V8 should have been fine. So what's up with that?

Re: V8 new
      #108965 - 09/29/04 06:21 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I think everyone here is advocating V8 after having soluble fiber. You pretty much had it on an empty stomach - the acidity alone would probably cause a lot of pain!

--AC

V8 way off topic! new
      #108971 - 09/29/04 07:17 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have friends that put it in beer and love it that way! Ew my 2 least favorite things in the world. Sorry for interrupting- please continue.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1789 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1946

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review