All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Is this normal??
      #108155 - 09/24/04 09:20 AM
Tanya83

Reged: 09/14/04

I went to the GI doctor yesterday ( on the request of my normal physican) to get a colonoscopy and he refused to do it! He said that I exibit the "classic" signs of IBS - and there no need for one b/c I'm young. (I'm 20 and monthly blood work from the physican shows that I'm healthy as a horse) This may sound funny - but I want a colonoscopy (sp?) Just to "make sure" everything ok. My question is - has anyone ever been "rejected" from a colonoscopy?? and/or diagnosed with IBS without one?

PS - Thanks to some of you guys and advice from my doc - I decided against colonics. Thank you for your guys advice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Normal, but not okay new
      #108164 - 09/24/04 09:48 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,
You're not alone in this, don't worry. It seems like a lot of doctors are hearing tummy ache (or whatever) and saying, "IBS!" and that's the end of it. I've had IBS for years and years and still haven't had a colonoscopy, which isn't a good thing. As much as I don't want to have one, I should have to be sure this what I am suffering from. There are a lot of more serious problems that IBS mimicks and until you have those tests there is no way to be 100% sure that you don't have something else.
I'd say you should see another doctor, and mention to him that you are aware of all the other scary things (Chrons, colitis, etc) that have similar syptoms to IBS and you will not be satisfied until you can be sure that you don't have any of those things - which cannot be proved through a blood test.
It is not acceptable for Doctors to diagnose IBS as a fall-back because they are 'pretty sure' that's what it is and don't want to have to go through all the tests with you. You have to be assertive! I know I am a bad person to give this advice to since I haven't had one done, but I have been dealing with it since 1992 when I did go through all those tests and just didn't have them re-done when it popped up again these past couple years.
Good luck!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Is this normal?? new
      #108165 - 09/24/04 09:48 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I have never had a colonoscopy either.. and I'm 23. I know that another girl on the boards.. (amandapanda) who's also 23 has never had one either. I think its very common for young people to be diagnosed without one.

--------------------

#108167 - 09/24/04 09:59 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Hi and welcome Tanya!
I am also twenty years old, well at least for another month anyways.
My GI did an upperendoscopy on me, and he almost certain that it would show a tummy ulcer or a parasite or something. He said if it came back ok that he would go through all of the tests available to rule everything out, ending with colonoscopy.
Well, he went back on his word and I have had no other tests done. He just told me that he was VERY sure that it was IBS.
So, to answer your question, it is common, but you would probably still want one done. I will probably get one done someday, but it's kinda not something I am jumping to do, even though I should.
Can't hurt ya, but it can hurt you if you don't get it done and there is something worse wrong with you.
And a friend of mine knew a girl that was about our age with colitis, so age/gender doesn't neccessarily mean that it is ruled out.
Good luck on the diet- hope to see ya around on the boards

--------------------
-Sheri

#108202 - 09/24/04 11:35 AM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

I was diagnosed with IBS at the age of 21. I didn't have a colonoscopy at the time. I don't feel it is that uncommon not to give a colonoscopy at your age. Two years ago at the age of 28 I had blood in my stool and they recommended that I get a colonoscopy. It turned out it was internal hemmeroids which I didn't know you could get that. I have been dealing with anxiety from IBS for a long time but it has gotten real bad this year. The docter decided to do a endoscopy and bloodwork to rule out anything else. Everything came back great and he put me on a antispasmadic. Please keep any anxiety you have in check. Mine got so bad I passed out in the neighbors yard trying to get help just from anxiety. Good Luck! beth

#108207 - 09/24/04 12:02 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I haven't had one either - yet. My doctor initially said that, based on the fact that I've been living with these same symptoms on and off for 17 years, it was very unlikely that it was anything worse than IBS. Her approach so far has been, "try this, we'll discuss how it works, and then maybe we'll send you for a colonoscopy". She hasn't completely ruled it out, although she initially said that she didn't think I needed one. I'm 29, by the way, not quite as young as you.

It's not uncommon, I don't think, but the general consensus on the board is that you should have a colonoscopy done. I'd really push for one if your symptoms have appeared suddenly or fairly recently, or if they've gotten progressively or rapidly worse.

If this GI doc won't do it, see if your regular doctor can order one him- or herself (mine can, some can't). Or, at the very least, get a referral to a different GI. Getting a second opinion can't hurt either.

Good luck!

#108253 - 09/24/04 02:38 PM
beth71

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

Hi! I'm 33 and have been suffering with IBS-A for 10 years and still haven't had a colonoscopy. My blood work is fine and my symptoms are "classic" IBS symptoms, so my GI doc said the procedure isn't necessary. Try not to stress over it, as that does contribute to your belly issues. Good luck.

~Beth

#108255 - 09/24/04 02:41 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I haven't had a colonoscopy but I am sure I have IBS. and stool tests for other conditions were negative and there is a DEFINITE stress component to my illness -- every time I leave town it goes away! I think that it depends on your symptoms whether you should have one or not. I feel confident, but if you don't maybe you should press for it.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re:Have you considered antidepressants? new
      #108256 - 09/24/04 02:42 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

It seems like they have helped a lot of IBS sufferers.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#108262 - 09/24/04 02:59 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I had the same thing happen. I went to my GI on the Sep 9th.
I am 28 and he refused to do colonoscopy. He said he was sure it was IBS. I also want one so your not funny or weird. I feel like I could have been the one to right your post Me and my doctor are trying to find another GI.
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

#108355 - 09/25/04 08:26 AM
Carrieokie

Reged: 08/29/04
Loc: Colorado

I am 35 and have not had a colonoscopy. My doctor did bloodwork, stool samples (lots of fun) and an abdominal exam. All of my tests came back normal so a colonoscopy was not recommended. I talked to one of my coworkers, who is a doctor. He said that as long as I keep getting better from the things I am doing to deal with IBS not to worry. But, if my symptoms do not improve to go back to the doctor for more tests. I trust him so am going to accept his advice for now. Hope this helps.

#108360 - 09/25/04 09:15 AM
Lefty1

Reged: 08/09/04

Hello,

My husband is forty and also very healthy. Blood work and labs all came back as normal. We were told that the insurance company would not pay for a colonoscopy if it were for an IBS finding. You had to have something wrong like blood in the stool for example.

Maybe that's what happened to you. I agree with your friend - not to worry. But I know that Heather says that you can't say for certain that you have IBS without that test.

My husband did have one this week, we are to call in a week for the final results. But the feedback from the Dr. was everything checked out as as normal - as we expected. Now we can move forward - even though we did not want this test. For us the Drs. were not willing to just say yes you have IBS.

Good luck to you!

#108369 - 09/25/04 12:30 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I am 28 and I had a colonscopy on my GI doc's suggestion, but my symptoms had not been there for very long so maybe that is why?

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#108383 - 09/25/04 02:05 PM
salsagal

Reged: 09/10/04
Loc: Boston, MA

My experience is a bit different.

Though 45 years old now, I did have a colonoscopy when I was a young'un in my early 30s. My symptoms were actually much milder than they are now! However, the doc didn't jump to perform a colonoscopy right away. I had to try this and that and prove that little helped.

Perhaps you need to demonstrate some persistence (show up at follow-up appts., take various fibers and meds, etc.)--and then report that nothing helped.

I have several medical issues, and my experience has been that often docs won't jump to do pricey tests--at least, not right away. But after they've seen you a while, realize that the usual tricks aren't helping, and get sick of your asking to be tested, they relent.

Good luck!

--salsagal

#108402 - 09/25/04 05:41 PM
SisterDawn

Reged: 09/16/04
Loc: Iowa.

Hi, all! Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one in this situation. I hadn't thought to post the question, so thanks for this thread! I too have been diagnosed without a colonoscopy, which I know isn't the best. However, like someone else on here said, I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to get that particular test done, and the things my doctor has recommended, as well as what Heather recommends on this site, are helping me greatly. Just glad to know it's fairly common to be diagnosed with IBS without this test!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3094 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1706

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review