All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How can I check if it's celiac?
      #107475 - 09/22/04 02:32 AM
Martak

Reged: 09/16/04

I'd like to know what do I have to do to check if I tolerate gluten and is it possible to have celiacs disease if I had no problems with digesting it when I was young. I always thought gluten intolerance is a baby thing.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How can I check if it's celiac? new
      #107485 - 09/22/04 04:05 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

gluten intolerance isn't just in kids, and it tends to get worse as people age... no I'm not celiac but I have relatives who are... there are blood tests and they can do an endoscopy to see if you have it- eat gluten regularly before BOTH to see accurate results... if you think its an intolerance rather then celiacs it may not come back positive the best test is just to go gluten free and see if you feel better.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#107487 - 09/22/04 04:11 AM
Martak

Reged: 09/16/04

Thanks. I'm not sure what it is but I know I don't like the IBS diagnosis. The gluten thing seems easier to control, so I'd like my problem to be it.I'll try going gluten-free for a few days and see what happens. But I must addmit it seems unlikely to do me any good, so I guess I'll have to accept the fact that I have IBS.

#107689 - 09/22/04 06:15 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Martak, just wanted to say welcome! I sure can understand you not wanting to admit it's IBS, but as you know chances are it probably is. The good news is that the IBS diet is really WAY easier than going gluten free. You'll get the hang of it in no time, just keep coming back, okay?!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#107711 - 09/22/04 08:46 PM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

There is a Guten Sensitivity lab test that you can take-
I had it done and it came back negative--you can ask your doc to see if that would be advisable for you..
good luck
carol

#107746 - 09/23/04 03:50 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

going gluten free isn't easy (its in a ton of hidden things) and in order to clean your system out I was told you need to do it at least a month before you can expect results.....it might be easier to keep gluten in your diet and go for the blood tests! and btw: being IBS is easier to control eating with others and eating out then being gluten free.. because you have to be concerned about contamination from other things in the kitchens, etc...

Good luck

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#107900 - 09/23/04 11:39 AM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Hi,
I'm gluten intolerant but thus far test negative for celiac. If you go to www.celiac.com and read the message boards there, you'll find that the symptoms for celiac are often similar to IBS--there's a lot of crossover. Many people with celiac take months and months to start feeling better after going gluten free, just like many people have difficulty feeling better right away on the IBS diet. I do both--I'm gluten free and I follow the IBS diet. This seems to help, though I still have attacks for reasons that I can't explain.

Anyway, to answer your question, celiac testing has gotten much better in recent times. You can get a gene test to find out if you have the celiac gene (it's just a blood test). There are other blood tests to check for antibodies that indicate celiac disease, and they are supposed to be fairly accurate. You get these done before ever having an endoscopy (in the past you had to have the endoscopy, although it wasn't always a sure thing--nothing may show up on the endoscopy in the early stages of celiac). There is also an interesting website ( www.enterolab.com ) for a lab that does stool testing for gluten sensitivity, as well as milk, egg, and yeast sensitivity. Many people on the celiac.com message board feel this is the best testing possible to determine celiac disease and other problems.

I completely understand that you would just as soon have celiac disease as IBS. IBS always seems like a catch-all syndrome, and I don't feel doctors take it very seriously. I often find myself wishing I had a more "respectable" diagnosis so someone would sit up and take notice (and give me a pill or something that fixes the problem!). If you have something like celiac or colitis or Crohn's, doctors seem more apt to pay attention. But be careful what you wish for -- going gluten free is not easy, trust me. You have to be a sleuth about every single thing you eat, it's very difficult to eat in restaurants, it's hard to eat at friends' homes, it changes your whole life.

Personally, I think anyone with IBS symptoms should at least be tested for celiac and gluten sensitivity. Many experts feel that it is likely to be present in as much as 30% of the population. In many countries, routine screening is done for it at a very early age. It's more common in people of English and Irish ancestry, and I just recently read that there is a very high incidence of it in Italy! Since it has symptoms similar to IBS, it's worth ruling it out.

Get it checked out, but cross your fingers that you don't have it. Good luck!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6864 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 812

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review