All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Cramping *after* full BM (hard to be delicate here; sorry)
      #107462 - 09/21/04 11:43 PM
salsagal

Reged: 09/10/04
Loc: Boston, MA

Hi,

I have IBS-C, and I typically don't get cramps before or during a bowel movement. What I do get is cramping *after* a full dump. The cramps can take hours to a half-day to kick in, and they last a half-day to a day.

It's almost as if my sluggish colon lies inert for days, then expels a load and goes into spasmodic shock.

(OK, this is gross, but I need to explain the problem!)

When I tell my doc, he looks at me as if I have two heads. Does anyone else experience this? Does anyone have any idea *why* this happens or what to do? If the cramps are bad, I take Levsin (hyoscamine). It generally works well, but sometimes the side effects get the better of me.

Thanks once again!!

--salsagal

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cramping *after* full BM (hard to be delicate here; sorry) new
      #107464 - 09/22/04 12:05 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I have no idea why this happens, I just wanted to say that you're not the only one (even if your doctor seems to think so ). I'm an IBS-A, and it doesn't matter if I'm D, C, or perfectly normal, I still cramp afterwards. I think your "spasmodic shock" theory sounds just about right!

Fortunately, my cramps are pretty mild, and I've found that a cup of peppermint tea usually does the trick. I have Bentyl to potentially take when it happens, but I've never used it - the peppermint works.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

#107483 - 09/22/04 03:55 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

This is one of my biggest ibs symptoms...I am very much mainly a C and if I get clogged up for days and finally it ALL comes out, I get this horrible emptiness inside, feels all churny, pain, and sometimes I fill up with wind horribly after a big BM. I usually have some carbs, cup of tea and it settles down and then I can enjoy the fact that it came out. It makes me upset though, because I work so hard just to get that BM, why can't I enjoy the relief afterwards. It DOES feel like everything has been at a stand still and the gut goes into some kind of shock afterwards!!!
I have found though that the closer I get to establishing my ideal ibs friendly diet the less and less this phenomenon occurs, leaving me more and more prone to friendlier BMs...but you are SO not alone!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#107569 - 09/22/04 10:24 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yep, me too! I get the same thing. The peppermints caps from Heather seems to help this but you needt to take a few of them. I usually do 1-2 2-3 times a day when its bad. Keep up on the soluble fiber supplements as these will help to regulate that. And as you said the Levsin, or I am currently trying donnatal, also seems to help but the dry mouth and sometimes blurry vision is a drag! I get that two headed look from my drs all the time too!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#107620 - 09/22/04 01:28 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I am an ibs-A. I used to be an ibs-C. When I was a C, I would feel the same way. Cramping, before, during (very badly) and after. Sometimes, the cramping meant that I had to go again and that I didn't get it all out.

I think after being C all the time, it backs you up sometimes and when you finally do go, it is very painful .

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#107625 - 09/22/04 01:42 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Yep, me too. I am so glad someone else mentioned it. I also get cramps before going and during most of the time, but afterwards, it's like my intestines moved to hard to get the stuff out that it just kept cramping and didn't know when to stop. Sometimes it feels like iti s quivering. I usually take some meds to calm it down. It's very annoying.

--------------------
Dana

#107727 - 09/22/04 11:47 PM
salsagal

Hi, all,

Thanks for the support, everyone! I hate to see you suffer, but it *is* nice to know I'm not alone!

The suggestion to drink mint tea sounded good--till I remembered that I have GERD (acid reflux) and my biggest triggers are coffee and MINT. (boo hoo)

In my next life, I want a better GI tract. ;-)

--salsagal

#107729 - 09/22/04 11:51 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

im glad im not the only one who has these symptoms to. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

I get this too... new
      #107918 - 09/23/04 12:49 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

... and when I explain it to my doc, I equate the explosive D to, like, projectile vomiting, and then the spasms and cramping afterwards to dry heaves. I think the comparison works. After my D attacks, I just feel like pushing, and often I'm just left stranded on the toilet, unable to stop the urge to let go and push, but there's nothing left to get out of me.

BUT! To stop the after effects, I've been taking Tylenol-3! Not for the pain, mind you, but to stop the spasming. It works great, and nights where I'd otherwise be up for hours *after* an attack, I take my T-3, and then my intestines all calm down within 1/2 an hour.

~nelly~

Re: Nelly,I get this too... new
      #108068 - 09/23/04 09:40 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I thought I was the only one who got caught in the br having spasms. They continue until I get so sore, the whole rectal tract is in pain, excuse me, but it just feels raw.

I can't take Tylenol 3, or any Narcotic, I suffer allergic reactions to all of them. I guess I could double up on the Hyoscyamine. What do you think? I am miserable tonight, this can make you feel sick all over.

Hope you are doing better Nelly!

#108072 - 09/23/04 09:50 PM
salsagal

By doubling up, do you mean two (vs. one) .125 pill? I always take two; one does little for me. I do s/times get side effects like headache and/or queasiness. But if my colon goes into spasm, the double dose usually works well.

Hope that helps!

--Susan

#108077 - 09/23/04 10:07 PM
dagenj1

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Could it be that the colon fills up with gas after having a BM? Sometimes I've noticed that I have a lot of gas afterwards that just needs to get out to finish emptying the colon. Luckily I don't have pain, that sounds awful!

#108152 - 09/24/04 09:15 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi gigi!! I'm feeling ok for now, thanks! The aftereffects are so hard after a bout of D, I'd try anything once to calm the effects. If your regular dose isn't helping ask your doc if you can have a little more.

In very rare cases, the pushing causes what in some circles, they call a "blossom"-- when the rectum protrudes through the anus. I can get this when I'm stranded after a difficult round of D without my meds. It is very sensitive, and with all the acid leaving my system, it can get pretty painful (no sitting!). But it's the sort of thing that resolves itsself after the spasms stop.

I am a big advocate or "if it works, do it." So if I find a good dose of something, I TAKE it.

Thanks for posting, btw!!! I really thot I was alone on the "dry heaves."

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5058 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1922

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review