All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New User
      #107081 - 09/20/04 04:00 PM
Victorian Queen

Reged: 09/20/04
Loc: California

Hi, I am new to the boards. I have just been diagonosed with IBS. I have been struggling for years. The last 3 years have been the worst. For the last 2 years it has been a little better since I have been taking 6-12 enzymes with each meal and a colon cleanser every morning. I changed my eating and still have gas, bloating,nausea and if I miss my enzymes...dizziness. I looked at the recipes you have posted and I can't eat any of them. I can't eat breads, or fruits w/o pain & swelling. I just started the tummy fiber and fennel tea. I am not used to eating any type of soluble fiber. I usually eat tons of vegies, protien shakes and chicken and fish. I can't imaging incorporating "carbs" into my diet with out swelling so much that I can't fit into my clothes. Do I need to strip myself of alot of foods and use the basics then incorporate the recipes in? Help

--------------------
Nancy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New User new
      #107084 - 09/20/04 04:10 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Victorian Queen - welcome to the boards!

At first it might seem awfully hard that all those carbohydrates can make your tummy feel better, but they can! Definitely check out Heather's webpage that describes Soluble Fiber vs. Insoluble Fiber. It turns out that it's not actually the carbohydrates that will make you feel better, but all the soluble fiber!

Check the ingredients on the bread that you are eating. Lots of store bought breads have dairy or whole wheat in them which can be triggers. As for the fruit, most IBSers have problems with raw fruit. Try pureeing them into a smoothie with a banana and soy milk for extra soluble fiber.

Keep eating the chicken and fish! Those are good and safe for IBSers.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Also, if you haven't gotten Heather's books, go buy or borrow them from a library as they will explain much more in full detail how IBS works.

Hope you start feeling better soon.

- Jen

--------------------
- Jennifer

#107087 - 09/20/04 04:27 PM
Victorian Queen

Hi, thank you so much for replying to my call for "Help" I will continue to eat soluble fibers. I did puree and half of banana in my protien shake today and I have had cramps all day. I guess I can go back to not eating fruits at all, for awhile. I cannot use any type of sweetners except for small doses of Stevia. Yes, the breads I was eating were Eziekel 4:9 and sourdough. I printed out the trigger foods and the non-trigger foods are still more than I can eat w/o issues. The list of snacks, I can't eat without pain. I have severe issues with corn syrup. I am such a mess, I do feel like I have found a gold mine here with these site. I can eat oatmeal and brown rice finally. I would love to be able to cut down on my enzymes some day. Do most IBSers have a hard time with sugar? I get very sick! Thank you again, I will go to the library.

--------------------
Nancy

Hello and welcome new
      #107109 - 09/20/04 05:46 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

Some people do have problems with sugars, it all depends on the individual. Do a search there should be some threads on it. Even though apples are on the list of safe with the skin peeled, I am having a tough time eating them, I get D the same day! I am giving it one more try with a specific kind and hoping it works. My girlfriend drinks protein shakes, she does not have stomach problems, but even they can make her bloaty and gassy if she drinks them too fast. Could they be making your problem worse?

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: Hello and welcome new
      #107124 - 09/20/04 06:57 PM
Victorian Queen

Hi, thank you for your info. If my protien shake is too cold, I will have a problem. I will have to drink it slower to see if that helps. I need to try and eat oatmeal first and then have my shake like Heather suggests. I will do a search like you said. Thanks again, anymore ideas let me know. P.S. If you find an apple that you can eat, please share.

--------------------
Nancy

#107125 - 09/20/04 07:05 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I have no problem with sugar -- raw fruits and veggies, dairy, red meat, and chocolate are problems though.

I think you should strip your diet down to a few staples and very slowly add things from the IBS diet in. They key is to go very slow and track what you eat and record any problems.

I know at least one person on the boards has problems with sugar so hopefully she will respond (Casey, who goes by Atomic Rose -- maybe you could read her most recent posts).

Come back again!

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#107129 - 09/20/04 07:10 PM
Victorian Queen

HI, thank you for the info. I will take your advice about stripping down and then increasing slowly. I will look for Casey. I am really excited about this website and meeting everyone.

--------------------
Nancy

#107185 - 09/21/04 12:54 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey welcome!!
I can't eat refined sugar ie which you add to cakes etc, corn syrup...
but I can tolerate fruit really well...not too much in one day but up to four pieces a day!!!
so we are all individuals here!
welcome, you came to a really good place!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#107272 - 09/21/04 12:32 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Nancy, just wanted to say welcome from me, too!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#107344 - 09/21/04 04:03 PM
Victorian Queen

Thank you. Glad to be here. I have hope, fruit may be in my future It is a good feeling to not be the only one. I am sure you and alot of others have felt alone for a long time, maybe years like myself.

--------------------
Nancy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2372 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1191

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review