All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I have questions about Bentyl
      #106810 - 09/19/04 09:44 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Hello everyone I was give an RX for Bentyl yesterday and I took the first one today. It is the generic form of bentyl and it is 10mg. I still am having pain but had a normal Bm with alot of gas about 2 hours later. I was affraid I was going into C mode so this was good. My pain is still pretty bad. I also feel realy nauses S/p?

Does anyone else take this and what was your experince with it. 10mg doesn't sound like alot. Does it take time to work like SSRI'S do. Will the nausea get better after I take it for a while? I may end up going to the doc on tuesday anyway if this pain doesn't get better.
I posted somthing similar to this question in another post but decided to post it on it's own to.

I would love to hear any feedback about this med
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I have questions about Bentyl new
      #106827 - 09/19/04 12:07 PM
kemulvey

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: Mass.

I took it for 3 years and have just recently stopped because I don't need meds anymore.

I don't think it's what caused the gas and I never had nausea associated with it in 3 years and I am very sensitive to medication. She started you on the lowest dose-- it does not take time to work like SSRIs. You may need to take 2 (20 mg) at once until you're feeling better.

Karen =)

#106830 - 09/19/04 12:25 PM
heather7476

Thanks Karen
I don't think it caused my gas either, but I am so Nauseated Everytime I try and lay down I feel like I am going to be sick. The pain has not lessened at all. It is as bad as it was in the begening of all this. It is so frustrating I was doing ok. I had no pain yesterday and now I am doubleing over. I was realy hopeing the Bentyl would help. I may try and take 2 in a litttle while. I just don't want to get more upset to my tummy.

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Laura Sue???? new
      #106837 - 09/19/04 01:13 PM
heather7476

Laura Sue
I was doing a search on this med and seen that you take it daily. My doc also wants me to take it everyday. She said to take two a day but I can go up to four if I have to. I was just wondering what your experince is with this and if you can anwser any of the questions below.
Thanks

Quote:

Hello everyone I was give an RX for Bentyl yesterday and I took the first one today. It is the generic form of bentyl and it is 10mg. I still am having pain but had a normal Bm with alot of gas about 2 hours later. I was affraid I was going into C mode so this was good. My pain is still pretty bad. I also feel realy nauses S/p?

Does anyone else take this and what was your experince with it. 10mg doesn't sound like alot. Does it take time to work like SSRI'S do. Will the nausea get better after I take it for a while? I may end up going to the doc on tuesday anyway if this pain doesn't get better.
I posted somthing similar to this question in another post but decided to post it on it's own to.

I would love to hear any feedback about this med
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

#106839 - 09/19/04 01:35 PM
kemulvey

Heather,
I took it EVERY DAY 4 times a day for 3 years. So it can work for some people. I am working on a response to your email. We'll get you through.
Karen =)

#106848 - 09/19/04 02:21 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Heather! Yes, I take Bentyl every day and I'm VERY happy with it. It's an antispasmodic so it helps with the cramps and pain. I wasn't able to get stable until my doctor insisted that I take it every day (I had been taking it only when I felt bad). I currently take 20mg in the morning and 20 mg at night. It works RIGHT AWAY, no waiting like with SSRI's! YAY!! I don't get nausea from it, but it is listed as a side effect. It should go away as your body gets used to it. In the meantime some ginger tea or peppermint tea might help you feel less queasy.

Hope this helps. Glad you're giving it a try. And don't hesitate to go up to four a day if you needed it. That's what I take.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#106849 - 09/19/04 02:32 PM
heather7476

Thanks Laura Sue
I am going to try and take two 10mg in the morning. One 10mg did NOTHING to help with the pain today. UUGGG I will figure it out. I refuse to feel like this forever!!!!!!!!!
Do you know if there are other meds like this one or is this my only opption. Just wondering so i know weather or not to call my doc after a few days if still not working.
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

Not LauraSue but... new
      #106859 - 09/19/04 04:23 PM
kemulvey

I know there are other meds also....
Try taking 2 at once first and see what happens.
We'll be in touch. I hope I can help.
Karen =)

Re: Not LauraSue but... new
      #106864 - 09/19/04 04:34 PM
heather7476

Thanks Karen
Do you think I should take two tonight or wait till morning. I have only taken one so far today.

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Not LauraSue but... new
      #106869 - 09/19/04 04:55 PM
kemulvey

Take 2 tonight just to see if it will help.
Email me in the am to let me know how you are.
Karen =)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8035 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3167

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review