All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'M SO SICK OF BEING SICK!!
      #106224 - 09/16/04 10:04 AM
ohmystomach

Reged: 09/16/04

i'm so happy i've found this board, now i know i'm not alone. i was dx with IBS/GERD about a a year ago. the doctor gave me some meds (which i don't take) and sent me on my way. he told me read his list of foods, exercise and loose weight. i have started exercising and i could stand to loose about 40lbs. i wake up running to the restroom with diarrhea, then lay back down with a sick stomach and try to start my day. today i am just at wits end.

HELP!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'M SO SICK OF BEING SICK!! new
      #106226 - 09/16/04 10:26 AM
Tanya83

Reged: 09/14/04

Your definity not alone - it has gotten to the point where I'm jealous of people that have "normal bowls" I know that's ridiculous - but I can't help it. I'm newly dx, but have the problems for about a year now, and I'm 20.

#106228 - 09/16/04 10:28 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hi and welcome! Yeah, you found out one of the unfortunate universal truths about doctors: when it comes to matters of diet and lifestyle, they're rarely very helpful. I don't know what kind of diet he recommended, but I've found only a very few who actually recommend what really helps - figures, right?

I really recommend Heather's diet. You can start to read about it here and get the basics. Start out with "what to eat when you can't eat anything" for a few days, and then gradually start to add foods back in. Make sure you understand the difference between soluble fiber and insoluble fiber - a soluble fiber diet makes all the difference in the world!

Since you have GERD, I'd probably skip peppermint tea, but ginger is wonderful for an upset stomach, and chamomile and fennel are calming as well. Herbal teas really do help. I'd also recommend starting on a soluble fiber supplement ASAP - it's done wonders for most of us.

Hang in there... it may take a couple weeks, but you'll feel so much better! We're here to answer any questions you might have along the way, too.

Just out of curiosity, what meds did your doctor give you, and why won't you take them?

#106232 - 09/16/04 10:35 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Welcome. You have come to the right place for support and good info. I have IBS A, but just before starting Heather's diet it was mostly IBS D. I also have GERD.

What type of IBS are you? What meds did your doctor suggest? They may actually help. Are you taking a fiber supplement?

If you can't break the cycle of bouts of D then you should check "What to eat when you can't eat anything" on this site. Try to link to it here: what to eat when you can't eat anything

After you get stable you could begin Heather's diet. I got her recipe book and also her book "IBS The First Year". I was always running to the potty and just like you would get sick to the stomache afterwards. Her diet has made a world of difference. Along with my daily fiber supplement and meds. I had to try a couple of fiber supplements to find one I like. I currently take Benefiber. But I know that some of the others on this board take Acacia, Citrucel, etc. I also take Nexium for my GERD and NuLev for when I feel an attack of D coming on. But I rarely get attacks unless I stray from the diet or forget to take my fiber for a day. And the diet has also helped to lessen my GERD symptoms signifigantly, but I do still need to take the Nexium.

Good Luck
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Hi and Welcome new
      #106244 - 09/16/04 11:07 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I really can't add anything to the advice that you have already been given but I just wanted to say welcome.

This is a great place and it has really helped me.

Barbie

--------------------

#106261 - 09/16/04 11:34 AM
gopher

Reged: 09/15/04
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Hang in there, I think we can all say that we have been in the same boat.....I had about 8 trips to ER w/ severe D that would cause extreme naseau and prefaints before one of the ER residents gave me a referal to their gastrointestinal clinic and within a few days I had my appointment then a colonoscopy. Wow, I finally had a name for what I had.....still, I tried to control it by diet for at least 6 months and it just was not working, I went back to my GP and she prescribed me Dicetel....My Lifesaver.....I still stick to my high fiber diet, but when I do cheat (and everyone does) I will still get D, but without the pain and nasuea and prefaints.

I am curious as to why you wont take the meds prescribed and what meds you were given? Hang in there, we are all here for you!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 886 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 763

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review