All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I've got enough
      #106143 - 09/16/04 12:43 AM
Martak

Reged: 09/16/04

I'm new here and I must say I've hoped to find something to cheer me up but instead I found information that made me feel even worse. I'm 20 years old and I've had IBS for about four years now. I tried everything, diets, herbs, medicines and nothing helps. The syndromes just come and go no matter what I do. I don't have a privat life, I love sport but I had to stop training, I got into my dream university but now stusying became a horror. I avoid people at all cost, during my exams I don't think about the questions but about the time and when will they let me out to the toilet. I admire people who can lead a normal life with D and G beacause from what I've read here there's no cure and no way of getting out of this.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I've got enough new
      #106146 - 09/16/04 02:43 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

just TRY Heather's diet. It really really works. It stabilised me so that I was having no more attacks and didn't have to think about my IBS anymore.

Get a soluble fibre supplement and take it regularly. They are a lifesaver and make sure a difference. If you're D and struggling, which it sounds like you are, then I'd recommend taking Immodium everyday as a preventative to stabilise. It won't be forever, just a few months and it can really help with breaking your bodies cycle of attacks.

Sounds like you are struggling with depression as well - it's something that most of us get at some point. After all, IBS can be pretty depressing! Go and see your doctor and talk to him/her. There are some great a-d's out there and they can help the IBS as well. And maybe also check out the hypnosis program - a lot of people swear by it and it's particularly good if you have anxiety problems with your IBS, which you obviously do if you can't concentrate in exams.

Loving sport is a GREAT thing with IBS. Exercise can help the IBS and it will help you feel more in control of your life and it'll give you something fun to do! Once you've got the Immodium, SFSs and diet, you won't have to worry about D all the time and you can go back to enjoying your sports!

You're right, there is no cure for IBS and once you've got it, most people will have it for life. But it IS possible to control it to such an extent that it is no longer a problem. You just need to work at it for a while and then stuff like what to eat becomes habit and you wonder how you ever managed to eat unhealthy, greasy food!

Good luck! {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Linz

#106153 - 09/16/04 04:04 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hi, some people have it way worse than others. Like me, I'm really struggling. But you might be able to get a handle on it better. I know people that have it and it only bothers them very mildly and they can do anything they want to.

There are medications that help some people a lot. Don't be discouraged.

#106158 - 09/16/04 04:54 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

Try an SFS and Heathers diet... I'm still not perfect, but I'm still experimenting with adding foods back and finding odd trigger foods I had no idea about... for the most part I'm doing amazingly well.. except last night and I think I know what happened... I was at services (Rosh Hashona) and the sanctuary was freezing (I'm not the only person who complained) I think when I was shivering that hard for that long it caused my muscles to tighten up wierd and triggered an attack... at least I think thats what happened.. that and I missed my normal 6th meal of the day... I am packing a Luna bar in my Tallis bag this AM to slip out of the sanctuary at an opportune moment and eat... and for YK I am packing plenty of food and drink.... I know better now...

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Don't be discouraged..... new
      #106174 - 09/16/04 06:39 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I know you said you have tried diets, meds, etc. but have you tried Heather's diet yet? The safe foods can usually stabilize most people. And then you keep a food diary as you add foods in to see what your triggers are. It sounds like you have "D". I'm sure you tried Imodium but just thought I would mention it. It does help a lot of us.

Also, sounds like you might be depressed. A lot of the people on the boards are on anti-depression meds and they have really helped. Just keep searching the boards and you will find many "success" stories.

Sorry you are having a tough time but don't give up. You will get better.

You might want to check the living room board, too. It really helped cheer me up when I was down.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

Ditto on what Linz said new
      #106329 - 09/16/04 02:21 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I've had IBS about 3x as long as you & I didn't believe I'd ever find relief. Thanks to this website, my benefiber & eating "mostly" (everyone is different) the way Heather says I haven't had an attack since March!!! You can do it too !!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8387 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 673

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review