All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Casey, how ya doing? And an update on me.
      #105976 - 09/15/04 06:48 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hi, I haven't checked in with you for a while. I'm on day 12 and am not enjoying this AD. It started out so well. But the nausea is still really annoying. Plus, I am starting to feel down because of feeling sick. I thought this was supposed to help my mood. Nothing so far.

But I am told that it can take 2-6 weeks. But still...

I hope you're doing better and seeing some improvements. I wonder if I should see my doctor about this nausea and see what he says. Are you still having side effects?

I just looked through my food diary where I also list my symptoms and whether it's been a good or bad day. Here's the scoop. Out of the past 29 days, 14 of them have been bad. That's 48% of the time. And the longest stretch of good days in a row is only 3!

If anyone has any words of encouragement, I need them.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Aww, that blows... new
      #105979 - 09/15/04 06:58 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I was SO hoping you were going to be lucky and just not have side effects, because you started out so well! Did the nausea start when you increased to a full dose? Maybe the dose is too high for you - someone mentioned that as a possibility for me, back when I was feeling so awful, because I'm so tiny now. I know you have the same weight issue, so maybe that's part of the problem? I'd talk to the doctor, for sure. I know the side effects are part of the deal, but if it's making you *more* miserable, that defeats the purpose of the AD, I'd think.

Poor thing. Hope you get it straightened out and feel better.

I hate to admit it now, because it's going to sound like I'm gloating, but I'm doing GREAT. I still have a few of the side effects - the D and cramping, and my sleep schedule is still completely screwed up (although now I'm not sleeping, instead of sleeping too much). I wouldn't say my mood has improved, but I'm 1,000 times less anxious already - I'm so much calmer. I feel like my old self again! And if I'm not feeling the full effects yet, because I've only been on it for 2 weeks... well, I can't wait to see how much better it's going to get!

The only real problem I'm having is that I'm also trying to get used to birth control at the same time, and the BC side effects are messing with the positive effects of the AD. For a week, I WAS hungry all the time, and I was loving it. Then I started a new cycle of the BC, and my appetite is gone again. I may just quit the BC and take my chances... I can't afford to stop eating again!

Hang in there, Tina... maybe the Celexa isn't the right AD for you, but don't rule them all out yet. I'd call the doctor. Good luck, and hope you feel better!

Ya, it does blow! new
      #105982 - 09/15/04 07:18 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks for the pep talk and I'm very happy to hear you're doing so well. You're not gloating at all!

You might be right about the dose being too high for me. I think it did start when I increased it. I'll have to call my doctor and I'm sure he'll want me to go in. I've just been there once a month for quite a while now.

I also think that maybe I need to give this another week or so and see what happens. I guess that should be my doctor's call though. he might take me off it or tell me to hang in a bit longer. Who knows.

Anyhow, I'm so happy you're doing better. YAY!

Re: Casey, how ya doing? And an update on me. new
      #105983 - 09/15/04 07:24 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Aww, sweetheart. Hang in there. iT really sucks that AD's take so long to work. But if it's the right one, it's worth the weight and you'll feel worlds better. I should know - my Effexor took over 12 weeks to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Try to focus on the good days for now, and don't make much of the bad. The AD's take time. From now to then, do the best you can.
Hugs, Han.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#105984 - 09/15/04 07:32 AM
Sara-Sage

Oh thanks for your kind words.

I just don't know if the nausea will go away and if this AD will fix what's wrong with me. I know I should relax more and not get so upset but I've been through a real tough time for the last 8 months now. I just need a break for a month or two, or three...

Do you think it's worth calling my doctor about the side effects or should I wait another week? He might just tell me that it's normal and will go away. I'm so new to this that I really don't know.

I even did yoga last night and this morning I woke up with bad cramps and 'd'. I just feel like all my efforts are in vain.

Maybe tomorrow will be better. I really hope so! :smirk:

#105999 - 09/15/04 08:55 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

<<<<<<<<<<<BIG HUGS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I am sorry your having such a rough time with the ad's . I am on week 4 of zoloft and I am starting to see a postive change. I can only hope it gets even better from here.
Don't lose heart hon you will fnd the right med for you, I would talk to your doc if it is a concern for you.

It can be so frustrating when you have a few good days then have some bad ones I know. I just realy apprecate the goods so much more now. I realy hope you start feeling better soon hon.
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

Sara Sage new
      #106001 - 09/15/04 09:07 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hang in there! It took 2-3 weeks for my a-d's to start working so it does take awhile, but they're so worth it. I do think you should talk to the doctor about the reflux though.

#106025 - 09/15/04 11:40 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks that's sweet.

I think I'll hold on a bit longer and hope it improves.

Re: Sara Sage new
      #106028 - 09/15/04 11:42 AM
Sara-Sage

Yes, I will have to. Maybe he'll give me something better than an OTC med. I just want to avoid seeing him so often. I do want him thinking I'm a hyprochondriac or anything.

Thanks.

Sara Sage new
      #106149 - 09/16/04 02:58 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hey, you're ill, NOT a hypochondriac! Get your meds sorted and you won't have to see the doc so often!

Re: Sara Sage new
      #106151 - 09/16/04 03:59 AM
Sara-Sage

Yes, I know. It just seems like it's never-ending. I went to him about 7 months ago for help with my IBS and nothing's helped so far. I almost feel like he won't really be able to help me with this.

As far as the reflux goes, yes, he'll be able to prescribe Nexium or something that would probably work.

I guess you're right and I need to go se him again... The women in the office know me so well and I feel like when I go there they think "you again, so soon"? But like you said, I'm sick and have a chronic illness that's nowhere near under control. I have to remind myself of that.

Thanks.

#106175 - 09/16/04 06:48 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

So sorry about your symptoms. I understand that you raised your dose. Could this be the problem. Maybe you just need to be on the lower dose longer for your system to get used to it.

I'm sure your doc will give you some good advice. I know lots of people have to change meds several times before they find the right one. My sister has IBS, too, and is on Prozac and she had no side effects.

Nausea is the worst!

Sending you hugs
Barbie

--------------------

Casey, so happy you are doing better! -nt- new
      #106176 - 09/16/04 06:49 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

--------------------

#106180 - 09/16/04 07:22 AM
Carrieokie

Reged: 08/29/04
Loc: Colorado

I have been taking AD's for 3 weeks now. The nausea has decreased substantially. One of the things that helped was to make sure that I was not taking them on an empty stomach. So, I take them with my SFS and then try to eat something for breakfast shortly after. Has made a big difference. Hang in there!

#106196 - 09/16/04 08:31 AM
Sara-Sage

Yes maybe that's what it is. The low dose was completely fine. I don't like the idea of changing meds again though.

I think I'll give it another week and see if it improves.

#106197 - 09/16/04 08:33 AM
Sara-Sage

Ohooohhhhh, that's SO good to hear. i'm hoping that will happen to me too.

Thanks!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1910 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1664

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review