All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New and feeling it
      #105889 - 09/14/04 06:15 PM
Lil' Bell

Reged: 09/14/04
Loc: South Dakota, USA

Hi all. I am new to the boards as well as newly diagnosed...although in retrospect, I s'pose I have had problems longer than I realized. I think I am a IBS-A, since one week I go one way(D) , 2 weeks I have nothing (BM), then back to the original....

I also have been having trouble at work, although thanks to Heather's book, I am sure it is the one onion ring that used to sneak into my mouth a day....or maybe it is having to smell grease all day long???

A few major problems I am having are:

1. I feel my H is not really trying to understand, and thinks I am taking things too far by changing my complete diet. I wish just once I could transfer part of my feelings for one day , so that there was a clue what this is like. Or maybe it is me being oversensitive (naw- we females aren't like that at all!)

2. I am having troubles getting regulated, and still am trying to figure out the best way to work fibercon into my diet (why do they lable it as a laxative anyway if it's just fiber?)

3. I have been on Jenny Craig (with success thankfully), and am trying to work extra soluable fiber into my diet without going over calorie or exchange wise. They were awesome about going over every single ingredient of every product until we could figure out what was left to try and tolerat.

4. I consistently feel bloated (am trying peppermint tea- I never used to touch tea with a ten foot pole!), gassy (don't walk behind me!), tired and in general crappy.

I think that the workload I am under (and have been for 4 months)has a lot to do with how I feel. I am a chef in a hospital, and we have been 1 person short for months, and I seem to get all the extra hours, even when I don't want them, and let them know that. Odd that the only female is geting shafted...

sorry this is so long. It is nice to think that someone that understands the health part of it might care about the me part of it!

Teresa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi Teresa new
      #105894 - 09/14/04 06:46 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Welcome to the boards. This is a great place for advice and info on IBS. Everyone here is so helpful and supportive. We all care about how each other feels. I know when I am feeling low I can just come to the boards and someone will understand.

Good luck with the diet and your "H".

Barbie

--------------------

Re: New and feeling it new
      #105917 - 09/14/04 10:16 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I just wanted to welcome you to the boards 1st....

I understand about your hubby.... but the more you talk about it and learn yourself, hopefully he will see that changing your diet will make you feel so much better and he will then support it. Just give him time.

GAS....such a pain in the butt I tell ya!! LOL I will not walk behind you if you don't walk behind me

Your SFS's are SO important... keep us posted on how your doing with that.

Hopefully things at work will calm down real soon.

Again WELCOME!

Shell

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Welcome! new
      #105932 - 09/15/04 01:09 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hey there!

Your hubby will get there - see if you can get him to read some of Heather's books. They're great at putting across how bad IBS can be!

SFSs are very important! So persist with that.

Fennel tea is best for gas - it's just incredible! If you don't like the taste (licorice) then mix it with peppermint or lavender.

Good luck! Hope we can help you.

#105950 - 09/15/04 04:26 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

good luck... talking to your DH... umm... I know a big part of it was seeing how much it did work... also that my mom has Crohns and he knows how diet can affect her helped... and our finding ways to make many of his faves at home in safe ways- I do pizza.. just with special crust that we make here (he found the recipe and prefers it to the pizza joints now) and his gets all the toppings he wants including cheese, and mine gets small amounts of soy cheese over safe for me veggies that get well cooked either on the pizza or by sauteeing in water beforehand...

works well....

also- his learning he can help me feel better by fixing safe for me meals helps.. and knowing he doesn't have to eat what I do... I don't fix 2 meals all the time, but if we're grilling he can have steak or a burger or hot dogs.. if we're making sandwiches his can have cheese and roast beef on occasion... it doesn't always happen, but it happens enough that he doesn't feel deprived.. and he's learning to experiment and like more foods that are safe for me...

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#105995 - 09/15/04 08:43 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Hi & Welcome.
I've only been here a little while & already I'm feeling better. The people here are wonderful & reading all the posts have been sooo helpful.
Now on to your problem. I was there too. Gassy & bloated ALL the time. I even started sleeping in a separate bedroom so as not to bother my hubby. When it got that bad, he finally realized something was really wrong. (mine was like your's at first too). Anyway, here's what I tried to fight the gas & bloat. First & formost is the SFS. I'm taking Benefiber 12 grams a day. I know some people have a problem with that cause its got sorbitol but for some reason I can tolerate it. Next is Fennel. I drink tons of fennel tea (mixed with peppermint) & also take fennel pills. This really seems to help. Next is staying away from dairy & then exercise. These things have at least made my IBS bearable. I watch what I eat & make sure to ALWAYS include soluble fiber in every meal & snack. I'm just now starting to add insolubes so I'll have to see how that goes. Good luck to you & keep reading.
Meryl

Re: Hi Teresa new
      #106109 - 09/15/04 06:35 PM
amylou

Reged: 02/21/04

HI!
I am new to the boards. I have read the last few posts and I am hoping someone can help me with a few questions...I have purchased some fennel tea from Heather, how should I store it to keep it fresh? Any thoughts on how to jazz up the taste? Right now I mix it with my peppermint tea and that seems to work well.
An off-the-wall question...does anyone know if the acacia fiber is safe to use during pregnancy?
Thanks and I look forward to being apart of the boards!
amy

Re: Hi Teresa new
      #106112 - 09/15/04 07:26 PM
Lil' Bell

Loc: South Dakota, USA

Thank all of you for your help!

I am adding SF via Fibercon- 2 tabs 2x a day right now.

I am trying to eat soluble fiber before meals, and am eating any vegies at the end of the meal like the book recommends....

I feel better today, and that's a start!

Take care-

Teresa

P.S. Maybe it is safest if we all walk in a line abreast....

#106139 - 09/15/04 11:30 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

wellcome to the message board. we are all here to help you
lil bell. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

benefiber new
      #106161 - 09/16/04 05:01 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

only the pills have sorbitol.. I use the powder at 12 grams per day too... good luck

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#111171 - 10/07/04 01:36 PM
soffie

where can i find fennel pills?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8376 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1982

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review