All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Re: What would you do? new
      #105589 - 09/13/04 01:15 PM
Organic Gal

Reged: 09/07/04
Loc: Southwest U.S.

I have to say up front that I didn't read all the replies (although I read several, so if this has already been said, my apologies.

I'd try something else COLD and see if it does the same thing. Then, I'd try just drinking some rice milk at room temp (maybe when you are ready to open a new carton, and it's not chilled yet -- pour a glass, drink it, then refrigerate the rest). That should tell you if it's the temperature, or the rice milk.

I can't do rice (and obviously, not rice milk), so I use the almond milk. Of course, being allergic to wheat, I also can't eat most breakfast cereals, so it's a moot point anyway. (One of my students just turned in a paper where they said something was a "mute point." Always a chuckle.)

OK, I'm losing focus . . . See if that helps?

OG

--------------------
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -- John Lennon

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

It could be HFCS or... new
      #105596 - 09/13/04 01:31 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I would try something else cold and see if that's what is bothering you.

If that is not it, maybe you have a food allergy or another possibility is (before I read a post and you said that you had an attack from a marshmallow) HFSCS. Marshmallows, have High Furtose Corn Syrup in it. Which I am sure you have read before is a gi irritant for a lot of people, even if they can eat corn. Check the Honeycomb box and see if it has HFCS in it.

Most likely it is that or you could be allergic to rice. I would just to be on the safe side after trying everything else, go to an allergist and see if you have any food allergies. Food allergies can also cause gi upsets. Also, I have been told that any food that contains Partially Hydrogenated (anything) is bad, it is a cheaper faster way to make food and it isn't the easiest to digest. Good luck!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Re: It could be HFCS or... new
      #105605 - 09/13/04 01:55 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I really don't think it's an allergy. I've been eating Honeycomb all along, dry, just fine. It's a corn and oat cereal, and there's no HFCS in it.

Also, marshmallows don't have HFCS in them, at least not the brands I buy. A lot of people on here can eat them with no problem (hence the popularity of the rice krispy treats!).

I've been eating rice all along too, so I really don't think it's a rice allergy, either. But it is a good thought, and if this keeps up, I'll consider going to an allergist - I can't go unless my insurance will pay for it, because I can't afford stuff like that, but it would be worth looking into, at least.

I still think it has to do with the cold. The only other cold thing I ever eat is turkey sandwiches... and although I've only had a full-blown attack from one once, I NEVER feel well after eating one (I get nauseous or crampy), no matter how much I've craved it or how incredibly tasty it was. I can eat hot poultry just fine, with no problems.

Frustrating stuff, this food business! It's a good thing I keep a diligent food diary *and* that my attacks almost always happen immediately after I eat something, otherwise I'd be a lot more confused than I already am! LOL

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Re: It could be HFCS or... new
      #105606 - 09/13/04 02:00 PM
Sweetd

Really what brand Marshmallows do you buy. The ones I had at a BBQ last weeken had it in them which I thought was strange (I love them). Good I don't have to give them up now!

Your right it does sound like the coldness that is doing it to you. I hope you feel better soon!

--------------------

Well... new
      #105612 - 09/13/04 02:19 PM
atomic rose

I bought the store brand, whatever store I happened to be in - I think it was Shaw's. Is it you who's allergic to corn, or am I confusing you with someone else? If so, you'd be out of luck - there *is* corn syrup in them, just not the high-fructose variety.

Re: Well... new
      #105615 - 09/13/04 02:23 PM
Sweetd

Yes, unfortunately, it is me that is allergic to corn . Good memory .

Sorry, my bad, your right. It was corn that I saw in the ingredients, not HFCS. I thought it was HFCS. Sorry, for misinforming you. Thanks!

--------------------

#105624 - 09/13/04 02:32 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Something just doesn't seem right.
My first bet is that it is from the AD, that kinda stuff can wreak havoc on a person, but it is good that you are on it, and I would most definately not stop taking it just because it MAY be affecting you.
I am also worried that you are losing so much weight. When I was suffering really bad with IBS-D and not being able to keep ANYTHING in for months, I gained weight. Not much, but I definately didn't lose any. The gaining of weight might have been coincidental with graduating high school and becoming less physically active, driving more, etc, but I still think IBS had something to do with it.
I do not know of anyone that has IBS-D and has lost alot of weight. Hopefully you can get a proper diagnosis soon, and verify that you actually have IBS, and not something else (not trying to scare you- just giving my honest opinion).
I really hope for your sake that you don't have something worse.
maybe other members would be able to let you know if they had lost weight from IBS, I am very well aware that my body may have just been a fluke.
Hope you are feeling better- here's a smilie to cheer you up, those little suckers always do it for me----

--------------------
-Sheri

#105631 - 09/13/04 02:57 PM
atomic rose

Well... a proper diagnosis would be good, no doubt. But I'm not actually losing weight from the IBS, I'm losing weight because I'm not eating. I'll try to explain without being too long-winded. I developed a LOT of anxiety about eating, as a result of the IBS, and basically *stopped eating*. That's part of the reason I ended up on the AD's. I've only been on them for not even 2 weeks, so it's too soon to really see any good effects from them, but they're already increasing my appetite and reducing my fear of eating... so of the things I *can* eat safely, I'm eating a lot more, and a lot more often.

But I've only been doing it for about a week, so I haven't gained any of my lost weight back yet. I'm eating about 1,000 calories a day, which is a huge improvement, but I know I need to start adding some higher-calorie food so that I can put a few pounds back on. Unfortunately, all the high-calorie sweet stuff seems to be bothering me still.

I know there's a couple other people on here who lost weight with IBS for similar reasons, so I haven't been too worried about it - I just don't like the way I look right now. In the past, when I'd have an attack, I'd deal with it by not eating for the rest of the day, and usually the next day either. I don't do that anymore, but it's taking a long time to recover from 6 months of refusing to eat.

Ok, so much for not being long-winded - sorry about that!

Oh! And I wanted to add... new
      #105632 - 09/13/04 02:58 PM
atomic rose

I have a follow-up doctor's appointment on the 27th. I'm going to bring all of this up with her, and I'm 99% sure she's going to schedule the colonoscopy and all that. So I guess I'll know soon enough!

#105633 - 09/13/04 03:00 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I know what you mean about losing weight. I'm so thin now that I think that's why I ate ice cream on the weekend. I knew it wouldn't agree with me but didn't care. I had 1/2 a chocolate bar too. Oy!

I was taking a protein shake for a while on the advice of a nutritionist that I saw. I guess I'll have to start that back up again. She also said to eat as much protein as possible and to eat things high in good fats: salmon, advocado, nuts, etc.

Tomorrow'a gotta be better than today. Hey, have you noticed any AD positive side effects yet? I haven't but do seem a tad more relaxed. Still not Marry Poppin's though.

Have a good night!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2821 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 37070

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review