All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is it IBS?
      #105365 - 09/12/04 07:07 PM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

I've been reading through the posts and I can certainly empathize with the miserable quality of life this condition can create. My question is that I tend to only have problems with D (or urgency) in stressful situations, in particular where I have to use a public restroom or a person's home bathroom that I am not very familiar with. Traveling (esp. flying) is a major problem as well as is school. I've noticed that at work I really don't have any problems. I don't have any trigger foods (although if have a lot of caffeine it is a problem) and I know that I am lactose intolerant, but that is easily remedied (avoid dairy or use Lactaid--it is a godsend). I also have a lot of gas most of the time. I am definitely going to try the IBS diet since my diet it horrible, but I am interested in the usefulness of medication (antidepressants, etc.) Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is it IBS? new
      #105373 - 09/12/04 09:08 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Hi there~

If you're having doubts as to the cause of your symptoms, the best possible idea is to see a doctor to get it diagnosed properly. As many on this board can tell you, IBS can mimic other, more serious problems, and vice-versa. Please don't put off a doctor visit.

Everyone has different situations and symptoms, and many notice that stressful situations are big triggers for them. You may notice that once you start this diet that you are feeling a great deal better, just by getting rid of foods that you didn't even know were hurting you. Plus, if your diet is "horrible," then this one can only help

Others could tell you more about their results with medications, especially antidepressants. If you do a search, you'll find quite a bit, as there was a recent thread about anti-depressants. But it is also something that you can discuss with your doctor.

Sorry this is so long, but I hope that it helps! Take care!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

And don't forget the hypno programs! new
      #105460 - 09/13/04 08:00 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

IBS can definitely be stress-based, but having good, non-trigger food in your system can't hurt. Have you checked out the hypnotherapy program here on the site? Look at the left-hand link for "Hypnosis for IBS" and the discussion board of the same name.

I've just started the program, and have great hopes that it will help with my occasional stress-related D attack. (I'm IBS-C the rest of the time, and the diet is doing a lot of good with that.)

--AC

#106097 - 09/15/04 04:24 PM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

Thanks for responding. I will work with my doctor, right now he's playing it off since I tend to only have symptoms at stressful times. I've ordered the self-hypnosis cd's from this site. Hopefully, with a better diet and the hypnosis program, I can make it through a semester w/o too many problems. Thanks again.

Steve

#106128 - 09/15/04 09:03 PM
dagenj1

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Oh my! You sound exactly like me!!! I only have my attacks in stressful situations and in cars (for some reason - I think the seat belt pushes on my intestines and causes it to spasm). I have some trigger foods, but they only seem to affect me when I am in public - I can eat anything at home. I am also lactose intolerant and I've known that for years.

I started taking Effexor and doing the Hypnosis CDs and I haven't had any problems for several weeks now, no matter what I eat when I am in high stress situations. I have also been drinking tea (Tummy Mint) to make the bloating and gas go away which have been my worst symptoms of IBS.

You're probably like me and your brain and stomach are just more insync with each other that most people's.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7643 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 639

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review