All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
question about things being related...
      #105233 - 09/12/04 03:13 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I've asked this of the docs before, but I keep forgvetting to ask my GI... I have bumpy skin on my arms.. used to be my upper arms only but more recently its all over my arms.. little tiny bumps. years ago I was told it was clogged pores and given stuff to do twice a day that didn't make a noticeable difference... this time my doctor siad its dry skin, using what she suggested hasn't helped either.. I'm wondering if its a dietary difficiency.. if so has anyone else experienced anything like this? I also get red bumps on my chest that my doctor called red moles, but they are tiny and hard... and raised bumps... don't know if that is related either... and very dry rough skin on the bottoms of my feet.... does anyone else get any of these symptoms?

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question about things being related... new
      #105279 - 09/12/04 07:58 AM
stephanielee

Reged: 08/31/04
Loc: North Carolina

Hi, Amie. I've had those tiny red bumps on my upper arms and rough feet for as long as I can remember, though I've never thought of it as being IBS related. I've always thought it was dry skin, but can't get rid of it. I've never gone to a doctor about it, just learned to live with it. My younger sister also has this problem, but does not live with IBS. Wish I could help.

Steph

#105283 - 09/12/04 08:06 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I get that on my upper arms and legs too. I know that if I exfoliate lots and get those bits out into the sun, then it gets better.

But vitamin deficiencies can def. affect your skin. Maybe you could get tested to see what you're deficient in? I've had that done before.

#105284 - 09/12/04 08:10 AM
khyricat

thanks Linz, I will definitely look into that... and talk to the GI about it at my next appt... she's supposed to be having me meet with the dietician then too (after I've figured out my major triggers and stuff)... but no- I asked because it was getting worse as my ibs gets better, so I was wondering about a dietary deficiency, just not sure if someoen else might know what causes it.. thanks though!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#105290 - 09/12/04 08:30 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

As your IBS gets worse, then you'll be getting less and less benefit from your food. I have to take a vitamin supplement because I know my body just can't cope well enough with healthy foods (like salad! ) for me to get enough nutrients from my diet.

#105296 - 09/12/04 08:54 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I also have tiny bumps on my arms and Realy dry and craked feet I have had this since I was a kid. My Daughter also has started to get bumps on her arms. Doc said it was dry skin. I have also been told clogged pores but the meds I was given for it did nothing. It dosen't bother it is just not very pretty.

--------------------
Heather7476

Why not see a dermatologist? - nt new
      #105299 - 09/12/04 09:05 AM
Carrieokie

Reged: 08/29/04
Loc: Colorado

#105301 - 09/12/04 09:12 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey there
i don't know if its deficiencies exactly but when my bowels are bad I get that rough skin, spots on my bottom ( ) and hives popping up. moisturising after a shower did help me quite a lot and body brushing before a shower....try a good moisturiser like vaseline intensive care and make sure you do it after you shower!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#105315 - 09/12/04 11:09 AM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

Do you get eye inflammations too? Or little white sore bumps in or on your eyelids??

These (and skin thingies like you describe) can be "extra-intestinal" symptoms of Crohn's disease. When mine flares up I get all of what you describe, plus the eye troubles. As mentioned below, try SUN. The more sun I get on my skin the less trouble I have.

#105318 - 09/12/04 11:57 AM
khyricat

hrm- this stuff all got worse when I stopped spending so much time int he sun but with working the hours I do I don't get much chance to get sun... besides I had skin cancer a few years ago so now am extra wary... thanks for the suggestion... guess I'll be in the sun more.. mom has crohns, but they keep saying I have IBS and not Crohns... so thankfully its not that bad in other ways

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Keratosis pilaris new
      #105324 - 09/12/04 12:34 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I believe what you're describing is called keratosis pilaris - hard little bumps in your hair follicles on your upper arms and upper legs/butt. I also have it on my jawline, lucky me.

I get this from my mom's side, just like my IBS, but I'm not sure there's a relationship!

The two things that I've found that help are increasing your omega-3 fats (fatty fish, walnuts, etc.) and beta hydroxy lotions (alpha hydroxy is ok, but beta is stronger). Humid weather also helps, but that also makes my IBS worse. I'd rather be bumpy than crampy!

--AC

Re: Keratosis pilaris new
      #105339 - 09/12/04 01:22 PM
khyricat

thaks astro chick- sounds very much like what I'm describing.. and hrm... I'll have to try that...

and I defintiely agree- rather bumpy to crampy....

Thanks.. I'll have to research that one...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2922 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2692

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review