All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
depressed (long post)
      #104823 - 09/09/04 03:03 PM
dmosher

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: New Hampshire

Hello folks - I have not psoted in a while - this really does not have much to do with IBS at all and actually I have been doing fantastic with that aspect of my life - but lately about four times in the past couple of weeks I have been getting extremely depressed and sad most of the time have wanted to start crying hysterically - yet nothing is wrong to make me sad...I am not sure what it is and have not told anyone cause I dont want anyone to think I am crazy...I use to have this happen 5-6 years ago and I went to a doctor and he laughed at me and told me not to waste his time with this nonsense - so needless to say that last thing I wanna do is go to a doctor again...

Anyway I had noticed in previous posts a lot of people talking about depresion and medications and stuff so I was hoping someone has some advice...

It does run in the family my mother was bipolar - she ended up dying from all the medicatioon she was on along with the combination of alcohol (she was an alcoholic and was not suppose to be on all those different meds at the same time)...I am starting to see my mother in me with certians things I do and say (mood swings, severe) and well I know I shoudl probably see someone but I am so scared, I dont want ot be on medication because I am in fear of it...

Well I wont take up anymore time - just wanted to share.

Thank You

--------------------
Donell

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: depressed (long post) new
      #104828 - 09/09/04 03:17 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I would speak with your family doctor. I did so recently and am now on Celexa for depression. It might help my IBS as well but who knows. I was afraid to ask about AD's but it was so easy once I did.

Consider bringing it up but consider what you'll say beforehand ex: how it's affecting your life, health, family and friends, etc.

#104829 - 09/09/04 03:17 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

My advice to you is to see a non medical counselor first, like a social worker or a psychologist. They can help you with the behavioural/pyschological part of your depression and may be able to recommend a friendly doctor. Addressing the behavioural/psychological part is just as important as addressing the biochemical part. You need some support. By the way, you are not crazy, you are suffering from an illness that has affected many many people, including Barbara Bush, Mike Wallace, William Styron, Tipper Gore, and others.

That doctor ought to be flogged. How insensitive and ignorant. There are many doctors out there who are not like that, but I know it's hard to find one when you are not feeling well. When I was depressed my husband had to drag me to the doctor. If there is one person you feel you can trust with how you are feeling, do take them into your confidence and let them help you get help. If not, then go to a psychologist or social worker.

I also recommend therapeutic massage. When I was deeply depressed and waiting for the meds to kick in it was the one thing that made me feel better, if only for a little while. I also strongly recommend exercise, even if it is just walking around the block a few times. It is very hard to be depressed when you are exerting yourself.

Good luck.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#104834 - 09/09/04 03:27 PM
dmosher

Thank You - I know I will go see my doctor and go from there - It is just so frustrating cause things were going so well with this diet and everything and now this happens...

--------------------
Donell

#104835 - 09/09/04 03:28 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I would find a Doctor that you can trust and like. It may take awhile but they are out there. You need to rember one thing. You are NOT your mother. You may have some of the same problems she had but that does not mean you have to go down the same road she did. If you find the right doc and the right meds and take them like you are supposed to you may find that things will get much better.

That other doc should be shot. That is so not called for. i have had problems with depression in the past and know how much it can mess with your life get help and get your life back hon. I will be thinking of you and I realy hope you feel better soon
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

#104836 - 09/09/04 03:37 PM
dmosher

Thank You so much for your response - to hear someone actually say that I am not my mother...was almost releaving - I always try to tell myself that, but it always seems to do more when you hear it from someone else.

Thank You.

--------------------
Donell

#104837 - 09/09/04 03:40 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

So sorry you are depressed. Depression & anxiety does seem to run in families but that doesn't mean you have to be like your mother. You can get treated properly and do just fine. This is nothing to be ashamed about. People get depression all the time for no apparent reason.

I think you need to go to a "good" doc who will be understanding and try to help you find a med that will help you. My sister can thank Prozac for giving her the will to keep on going. And, lots of the people on the boards seem to be doing very well on depression meds. Believe it or not, I think most people are on anxiety or depression meds these days.

Don't be afraid of the meds. You may need to experiment at first to find out which one works best for you but you
can lick this. There is no need for you to suffer.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#104838 - 09/09/04 03:44 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

I think all of the other suggestions were great, and just have a couple of things I'd like to add for your consideration ...
1) Recognizing that you have a problem is an excellent start - and it's what will keep you from "being your mother."
2) There are many kind of treatments for depression, not all involving medicine. And there are many kinds of medicine. It's important to find a doctor that is willing to listen to you and work with you to determine the best course of action.
3) We will all be here for you - one of the biggest things that I found helped me was bringing all of my friends and family close to me. Set yourself up with a support group and don't be afraid to lean on them. That's why they're your friends
4) Take care of yourself, above all else!

Hope that this helps, and that you start to feel better. Always remember that we're here for you!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#104841 - 09/09/04 03:53 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Your more than welcome. I just want you to be able to be YOU again.
Good LUCK HON BIG HUGS

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: I would recommend seeing a therapist new
      #104861 - 09/09/04 06:29 PM
Carrieokie

Reged: 08/29/04
Loc: Colorado

I have a lot of respect for doctors but that is not where I would start if I wanted to get a good assessment of my mental health. First of all, doctors start with medication and there are many other options. Second, the treatment for depression and for bipolar disorder are different, so it is important to get an evaluation to figure out what is going on. If you decide to go the route of medications, there are a lot of good options, which do not generally include being on a lot of different medications. Also, remember that medication is never the total answer. Just like with IBS, there are a lot of behavioral things such as exercise, that you can do to feel better. Hang in there and let us know how things are going.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7476 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1240

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review