All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Adjusting to Probiotics
      #104740 - 09/09/04 09:52 AM
Lynn27

Reged: 09/09/04

I just started taking probiotics yesterday morning. Following the label on the bottle, I take 2 in the morning on an empty stomach. Since starting, I've had lots of rumblings, gas and an unsettled feeling in my stomach. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this just an adjustment to the probiotics that will subside? I've never taken them before, so any help would be appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Adjusting to Probiotics new
      #104746 - 09/09/04 10:22 AM
Organic Gal

Reged: 09/07/04
Loc: Southwest U.S.

I've been taking probiotics for a year -- I have to take Zithromax every day for 18 months, so obviously the need for probiotics. I started out slowly (one a day) and have worked up to 4 a day. I took them with food at first, and now without. I don't really have any problem with them. Take a really good one, and make sure it's one that is sold refrigerated and has to be kept that way.

Good luck.

--------------------
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -- John Lennon

#104751 - 09/09/04 10:44 AM
Lynn27

Reged: 09/09/04

Thanks for your response. I'm taking All-Flora and it does need to be refrigerated. Do you have any recommendations for a good brand, if not this one?

#104774 - 09/09/04 12:28 PM
Organic Gal

Reged: 09/07/04
Loc: Southwest U.S.

I'd say go to your health-food store, and ask someone to show you what they have. If I named a brand, they may not carry it anyway. But the main thing is to look for the highest mg (or millions, or even billions) per pill, so you're getting as much as you can, and make sure it's live, hence the refrigeration note.

--------------------
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -- John Lennon

#104780 - 09/09/04 12:53 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I am not sure where you are located, USA, Canada, etc.

If you are in the USA the best Probiotic I have found is Acidophilus Plus. It has a half billion live cells and does not need refrigation. I take two a day, one with my breakfast and one before bedtime.

They are the absolute best for me! You can pick them up at any Safeway Store. I would not part with mine for anything.

Give it a try or find another brand that you like.

Good luck!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#104785 - 09/09/04 01:04 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Lynn and welcome to the board!!

The sensations you describe are unusual for probiotics. But maybe if you just switch to taking them with meals you'll do better. I take one acidophilus tablet with breakfast and one with lunch. It definitely helps my IBS and I've never noticed any rumblies.

It's also possible that the brand you got has additives or fillers that bother you. For example, I have an intolerance to corn products so I can't take one with corn starch as a binder. Every brand is different so it's easy to find one that works best for you.

Oh, also, some have dairy!! Make sure yours is dairy-free!

Hope this helps! Keep coming back, okay?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 990 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2977

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review