Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
the bad stuff
      #104699 - 09/09/04 06:51 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi everyone,
So all this time (about 6 months now) that I've been on the boards, there is something I've been avoiding bringing up, even though it's like one of the biggest issues that makes my IBS worse - it's also something that I feel is just so disgusting and gross and I know that we talk here about the gross and yucky all the time and it's okay - but somehow this just seemed too far gone and I didn't want to bring it up, but it's getting bad again - so here goes. If you're squeemish, I'm warning you - STOP reading NOW!! So alittle over a year ago I was going through awful times of stress and not really knowing how to take care of my IBS. I was having D attacks about 2 - 3 times a day and every time I went all that was in me was D and I had horrible cramping to go allong with it. After a couple months of this, the D was really aggravating my hemmerhoids. I've problems with hemmerhoids for about the last six years now to lesser and greater degrees. But with the continuing D and just not taking care of myself, things got worse. I ended up with an anal abscess (I hate that word! - I will call it AA) from the hemmorhoids and the D. Having the AA lanced and drained was about the most painful and humiliating thing I have ever been through in my life! When they did the surgery, told me I had not developed a fistula, this is a good thing. But I do still have an opening down there where the AA was lanced. Since I recovered from that there have been two other times that I started to have small amounts of drainage from the area and I got worried and went on antibiotics to clear things up. Both times the antibiotics worked and I didn't have to get surgery, but any antibiotics horribly aggravate my IBS and I will not digest my food while I'm on them. I eat nothing but rice and dry cereal and pudding and the like and I drop weight like crazy (good to a certain extent, but it got a bit out of hand last year when I went down to 115 pounds at 5'7 feet tall)! So earlier this week I noticed the drainage again. There is also a bit of blood in it now, just to add to the fun and I feel that marble hard lump poking out of my skin and I am almost certain it is AA that will have be lanced. I'm really almost ready to cry as I write this becaue I DON'T want to go through that again - that surgery was just SO awful! Maybe I'm just a wimp but I'm not dealing with this well. I havn't even been all that sick recently, so I don't know why this has flared up like this. I've been pretty gassy for the past two weeks and I've had a couple attacks, but nothing like what I was going through when I developed this before! Why is it happening again? It makes me feel like I've done something bad so my body is being bad back at me and that makes me all depressed. I've made a doctor's appointment for tomorrow morning and I am so worried! I don't know the doctor (my primary care physician was not available - she hardly ever is so she rarely sees my anyway - I hate hospitals!). But I'm so worried about going in and dealing with this again! I havn't heard anyone on the board talk about issues like this - another reason I was hesitant to write about it - but if anyone has any advice, or just some support, I would so appreciate hearing from you guys. I'm a mess about this, in more ways than one! Sorry for the long and wining post. Thank you for listening.

Min

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: the bad stuff new
      #104706 - 09/09/04 07:41 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh Sweetie, I'm so sorry you are having to suffer through this! Luckily, I have never had this problem but I did have a girl friend who had an absess like you are discussing. She had her's lanced and did the anti-biotics about a year ago and it hasn't bothered her since. I can only inagine how painful its got to be.

I would grill your dr tomorrow on ways to prevent this from happening agin in the future. Maybe there is a cream antibiotic you could use instead of pills, that may not upset your tummy as much. There seems like there should be some sort of medicated wipes you could use daily for a while until it heals all the way to prevent further infection.

Please don't be so hard on yourself. This isn't anything you caused or could have prevented. Its no fun when we have to let the drs go probing around down there but just remember the drs are there to help you. Please let us know what they say tomorrow after you appoitment. Hugs to you!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#104719 - 09/09/04 08:23 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I am so sorry you are having such a rough time right now.
Don't be so hard on your self you didn't do ANYTHING to make this happen. I would ask the Doc why this keeps happening and how to prevent it from happening again. It is no fun to have Doc's poking around down there but if it will help you ya gotta do it.

BIG HUGS & GOOD LUCK

--------------------
Heather7476

#104724 - 09/09/04 08:42 AM
Living Waters Ranch

Reged: 07/23/04
Loc: Georgia, USA

So sorry you are having such a difficult time. I too have hemorrhoids, although not to the extent of yours. I have IBS-D mostly, and sometimes switch to C. I found that using Preparation H medicated wipes help to relieve pain and help with cleansing. Also during an active hem., I sit on a pillow wherever I go. No one has ever made a comment about using it, and I found it really does help (especially if you must sit a lot). The acacia seems to be helping as it has made me more regular. I too am uncomfortable writing about this. I hope this helps.

#104852 - 09/09/04 05:09 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Min,

Soooo sorry you are having this problem. I know it must be very painful. Fortunately, I have never had this but my sister has had boils in that area. She has to have them lanced & go on antibiotics, too. It has happened to her several times and I know she is in great pain. She heats up a damp (clean) towel and sits on it. Sometimes that will automatically pop the boil and it will drain itself.
She sits on a pillow that is hollow in the middle so her underside doesn't touch the chair and that way it is not so painful to sit.

If you do have to go for surgery again, you might try asking the doc for some Xanax or something to relax you. It might really help the anxiety of going through this type of surgery.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#104859 - 09/09/04 06:13 PM
Carrieokie

Reged: 08/29/04
Loc: Colorado

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time. Good for you for speaking up and talking about it. I don't know a better way to get the support you need. Hang in there and good luck with your doctor appointment.

#104874 - 09/09/04 09:28 PM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

wishing you well on your appt tomorrow--I share your hemorroid problem and bleeding-- y our doc may have some suggestions that can help with your comfort level--like soaking in a warm bath, moist heating pad,--I don't have an abcess but for hemorroids, what helps me most when I am in a bad patch--is vasoline--helps protect the rectal area from moisture and calms the irritation--it works really well--anyway, good luck tomorrow--hugs
carol

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1018 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1086

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review