All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: researcher thinks bacteria a factor in IBS new
      #104809 - 09/09/04 02:29 PM
Organic Gal

Reged: 09/07/04
Loc: Southwest U.S.

The bacteria in your kidneys would have to be the same as the one in your gut for the antibiotic to work on both. There are lots of different bacteria, and different antibiotics to kill them.

Also, GI upset is a common side effect of most antibiotics.

--------------------
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -- John Lennon

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#257950 - 04/12/06 07:12 PM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

Bacteria seems to me to be the front runner as the cause of IBS. If it is the cause to IBS, hopefully they can figure out a way to eliminate it without the bacteria continuing to come back over and over again.

Is anybody up for a visit to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, to visit with Mr. Pimentel and Lin? Has anyone read A New IBS Solution To IBS by Pimentel?

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#257973 - 04/13/06 05:15 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I had a bacterial intestinal infection while I lived in Italy in 1993 - maybe there is a link from that to my IBS, very interesting article. I'm going to print it and bring it to the GI with me in May.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Bacteria hypothesis..How about the gut-neurology hypothesis new
      #257974 - 04/13/06 05:19 AM
kmk

Reged: 01/11/06
Loc: NY

Although the bacteria hypothesis is compelling, I do not think that is can be considered the cause of the problem. I think it just exerbates it. I suggest taking a look at the gut-neuro signaling hypothesis. The gut has the highest number of neurons ourside the brain as compared to any other organs. There are numerous papers showing that neuro signaling is altered in the gut of pts with IBS. Specifically with 5-HT and H3 signaling. The research is stronger in this area than in the bacteria. Now don't get me wrong, I think that excessive bacteria could have a role in the disease, but I don't think it is the underlying cause. There is currently not enough evidence to support it.

--------------------
Here...there....everywhere

I agree new
      #257981 - 04/13/06 06:09 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I think everyone is different. I had a breath test done to test for bactaria overgrowth and it was fine.

I believe I have a dysfunction between the nerves that connect the brain to the gut.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I agree new
      #258040 - 04/13/06 12:17 PM
kmk

Reged: 01/11/06
Loc: NY

It may not be a problem between the brain and gut, but maybe be a problem within the gut. Just something to ponder.

--------------------
Here...there....everywhere

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4801 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2873

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review