All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
What are your worst D trigger foods?
      #104093 - 09/06/04 09:14 AM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I just wanted to do any informal survey to find out which 2 or 3 foods people with IBS-D absolutely avoid. Conversely, which nutritious foods are winners for people with IBS-D, besides bananas, rice, applesauce and white toast (boring!)?

Here are three no nos for me:

1. Broccoli, green pepper, and other gassy green veggies. I used to think I just didn't like the taste of broccoli but now I realize that it has always bothered my gut. I always felt guilty for not eating broccoli because it is so good for you. But I just can't eat it, even when it's cooked. I get a yucky broccoli hangover. Occasionally I can eat small amounts in a stir fry.

2. Fried foods. A local restaurant serves amazing vegetable tempura but it always kills me, even when I avoid the onions and peppers. French fries get me too.

3. Restaurant pizza. I think it's tomato sauce, but maybe it's the cheese, or a combination of the two. Homemade seems better, even though I use real cheese (part skim mozzarella) and tomato sauce.

4. Any commercial canned soup. They all kill me and I am not sure why. Maybe it's all the salt and MSG they insist on using. I now buy extremely expensive homemade soup that comes in glass jars and is in the refrigerated section of the deli.

Three winners:

1. Baked potato/sweet potato. Only takes a few minutes in the microwave.

2. Ryvita white snackbread. It's lowfat and salt, very crunchy, and tastes good. I break it up in a bowl and munch on it like popcorn.

3. Stirfries. Having lots of rice seems to counteract any trouble with the meat and the veggies.

Look forward to other people's picks and pans!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What are your worst D trigger foods? new
      #104096 - 09/06/04 09:27 AM
turrtle

Reged: 08/22/04
Loc: Hartsville, SC

It's the tomatoes! Most canned soup contains tomatoes. The only exception I found was campbells split pea and the original chicken.

As for my 3 main foods to stay away from, tomatoes, milk, and be very wary of fruit especially citrus. Even bananas upset me. Caffeine and carbonated soda will give me cramps and gas so I stay away from them too.

#104099 - 09/06/04 09:59 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

My worst trigger foods:

1. Dairy. I can't even CONSIDER it.

2. Anything high-fat. This isn't even just fried food, but anything that's been cooked in oil or butter, anything with a creamy sauce, too much chocolate, etc.

3. Believe it or not, sugar. I can't eat anything that's very high in sugar, which makes NO sense, because it's not a GI tract stimulant or irritant, but regardless, that's how it goes. I can't even eat angel food cake, which is safe for 'most everyone else.

4. Anything heavy. Dense, heavy baked goods (quick breads, muffins, etc) are out.

My winners:

1. Pasta! Without pasta, I would starve to death.

2. Chicken breasts, grilled on the Foreman. Sliced up and put on the pasta, with a bit of spinach, "butter" spray and some fresh herbs.... mmmmm!

3. Graham crackers - my favorite snack, by far.

4. These little oriental rice crackers I found in the produce section of our grocery. They're not overly salty, but they have enough salt and flavor to satisfy any chip craving I ever get.

#104100 - 09/06/04 10:02 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

1. Coffee! I occasionally lapse when my Fibro's bad, but it always hurts!

2. Salad. Not that I ever eat it these days. Also, insufficiantly cooked peppers and zucchini.

Dairy makes me nauseaos (sp?). I can tolerate higher fat foods than others, but too much fat makes me ill all round!

#104105 - 09/06/04 10:35 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I'm an A, but I lean towards D heavily at times...

my biggest triggers-
anything fried/heavy in grease/oil (pizza out has tons of oil in the crust)
anything dairy
RED MEAT! this one has set off cramps since long before i remember anything else doing it.

The biggest goodies:

potatoes
pasta
fish/chicken on the grill with a side of rice/pasta/potato, and grilled veggies.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#104107 - 09/06/04 10:57 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

Triggers are: Sorbitol, High Fructose Corn Syrup, most veggies, and most fruits, too much dairy, lactose, spicey foods, barbeque, onions, any kind of beans, hot dogs. That's all I can think of right now.

Can eat: Pasta, rice, potatoes, grilled chicken, chicken fajitas, fish, sliced tomato, salad with lettuce & tomato, cooked carrots & peas, some dairy with lactaid pill, peanut butter (eat that almost every day), oatmeal (eat that almost every day) Little Debbie snack cake, Tofutti Cuties frozen treats, Tootsie rolls(carry in purse).

I am going to get brave soon and try to add more veggies & fruits. I know I need to.

Barbie

--------------------

#104115 - 09/06/04 12:20 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Fettucini alfredo and crab legs with butter.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#104116 - 09/06/04 12:23 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

#1 trigger- dairy, hands down. Which has proven to be a pain, since it seems to be the hardest food group to avoid in the US. Even if it is the last ingredient in a prepackaged food I will get D from it.
#2- fried foods, anything greasy and ultra high in fat
#3- green salads - but I can usually counteract this by eating soluble fiber first and not eating a large portion.

I listed those as my top three cause they are three things I most usually can NEVER get away with eating. I have other triggers, especially when I am not stable. Even though they don't always bother me, I avoid them all of the time nevertheless.
Aside from salad, I have the ability to tolerate most fruits and veggies (as long as the veggies are cooked and I have been eating lots o solubles), which I know most people can't.

--------------------
-Sheri

#104118 - 09/06/04 12:36 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

Like almost everyone else:

- Fried foods/high fat foods. Burgers/ice cream bad, boca/skinny cows good.
- Very spicy foods. I'm still working on what levels I can tolerate, since I really like spicy foods, but if I overdo it I'll pay for it later.

The good:
- Rice, rice, rice. Unfortunately the white seems to do me better than brown/basmati, since the latter have a lower glycemic index, but I switch it up from time to time and it ususally works out.

#104119 - 09/06/04 12:39 PM
Evan

Reged: 04/03/04

Worst: tomato sauce, raw peaches, anything greasy (especailly grilled salmon with butter), dairy, salads w/out S.fiber before

Re: spicy foods new
      #104129 - 09/06/04 02:28 PM
amo616

I have pretty good luck with spicy foods!! I tolerate spicy Asian food very well, since it usually has lots of rice and little fat. Had spicy curried chicken, potatoes, and rice last night -- passed on the broccoli -- and tolerated it fairly well.

--------------------

#104130 - 09/06/04 02:30 PM
amo616

I had crab legs with butter when I was on vacation last week and NO PROBLEM. It's only when I am in my "real life" that I have IBS. grrrr.

--------------------

#104131 - 09/06/04 02:31 PM
amo616

Do they have Dare digestive cookies in Maine? I had some of those and they were a lot like a graham cracker. Quite tasty. I think Dare is a Canadian brand. But they may sell other digestive cookies in the states.

--------------------

#104132 - 09/06/04 02:34 PM
amo616

Good luck with the fruits and veggies thing. I am reluctant to eat most of them too.

--------------------

#104169 - 09/06/04 06:48 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Worse: DAIRY products. (Milk, sour cream, cream cheese.) Mozzerella & white american cheese's are ok though.) Salads and corn on the cobb, onions and anything with garlic. Soda/iced tea with caffiene. ALCOHOL of any sort-Nadda!

I can have just about any cookies, brownies, cakes and chocolate and candy.(thank goodness cause it helps keep my weight on.) Pizza is also fine for me.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: spicy foods new
      #104179 - 09/06/04 07:36 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

spicy food as long as its with a soluble fiber is fine for me too- thankfully since DH is a pepper farmer and has burned out his taste buds... I don't tolerate exteme heat, he uses XXX hot sauces sometimes and I don't handle those, but the regular stuff I'm fine with.. in my pasta sauces, sprinkled on potatoes or in a homemade BBQ sauce...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#297017 - 01/17/07 01:38 PM
Lummi Beader

Reged: 08/25/05
Loc: Bellingham, WA

I do not get it???? You said you had crab legs last week on vacation???? Then you said something about a real life????

So did you take the vacation in an imaginary life???? if so I guess you could probably eat just about anything in your imaginary life, right??????

Just wondering about Cheese. Like when I was growing up my mother always said do not eat too much cheese cause it will bind you up???? So why does cheese now have an opposite effect on me?????

--------------------
Honor the Creator... Seek peace!!!

Lummibeader
IBS-D with pain
and bloating

What's wrong with tomatoes?-nt new
      #297053 - 01/17/07 05:39 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Re: What's wrong with tomatoes?-nt new
      #297059 - 01/17/07 06:10 PM
Lummi Beader

Reged: 08/25/05
Loc: Bellingham, WA

Tomatoes are an acid based veggie and causes many to have excess gas from it. If I am cooking and adding tomatoes I usually also add some sugar to counteract the acid of the tomatoes, but make sure you can handle tomatoes before you just grab a handful and gulp them down.

--------------------
Honor the Creator... Seek peace!!!

Lummibeader
IBS-D with pain
and bloating

#297112 - 01/18/07 08:08 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Wish I can figure it out. What triggered D a few months ago, dont trigger any more. I eat tons of bread before and during meal. That might be what helps.

#297114 - 01/18/07 08:15 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

I do worst with:

1. highly acidic foods (coffee, tomatoes, vinegar)

2. high-fat foods (cheeses, anything fried)

3. popcorn

Favorite "safe" foods:

1. Baked potatoes with topping(s) of the day and Tofutti "sour cream".

2. Lowfat hummus w/pita triangles.

3. Spicy Thai noodles with chicken or tofu + veggies

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Re: What's wrong with tomatoes? new
      #297115 - 01/18/07 08:17 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

I can't vouch for tomatoes being a gassy food, but they sure do give me D. Adding sugar changes the taste, but I guess chemically it's still too much acid present for me... same thing with coffee.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Edited by GaiasSong (01/18/07 08:40 AM)

#297131 - 01/18/07 10:24 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

My worst triggers are heavy foods that are high in fat. Such as fatty muffins, snack cakes and such. Also, Coffee is a huge trigger for me as are raw veggies.

My safe foods include mashed potatoes, bagels with soy cream cheese, cream of wheat, grits, rice, grilled chicken breast, spaghetti, pretzels, rice cakes, saltines, capn crunch peanutbutter cereal and angel fod cake.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3650 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5503

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review