All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ovulatory pain
      #103967 - 09/05/04 10:50 AM
paulina

Reged: 09/05/04

Hello. I am a 45 year old woman and have been an IBS sufferer since the age of 15. For the past 8 months, I have been experiencing a severe pain in my lower left abdomen between 8 and 13 days after the start of my period. The pain usually presents itself on 3 to 4 separate but not consecutive days each and every month, and lasts 3 to 5 hours. Because of the timing of the pain, I am thinking that the pain might be ovulatory in nature, but I wanted to be sure before beginning birth control medication again (which makes me ill for the first 3 months), so I complied with the IBS diet for a month. The good news is, I've experienced a noticeable improvement in my IBS symptoms in the form of regular (daily) bowel movements. The not-so-good news is, the 'ovulatory' pain was just as bad as always this month. My next course of action will be to go back on the pill to prevent ovulation, but I was wondering if any other women with IBS have had a similar experience.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ovulatory pain new
      #103979 - 09/05/04 11:31 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

To ease your mind, you might want to get an ultrasound from your gyn to rule out ovarian cysts. Ovulatory pain can definitely come on approximately 10 days into your cycle, more or less, and since it goes away, it's probably that.

Like you, I get sick from birth control pills. So to control my erratic cycles I was put on the birth control vaginal ring which doesn't cause any nausea whatsoever because it "doesn't go through your system" according to my doc. The only side effect is an annoying discharge. Otherwise I loved it!

It's a new product, so your doctor might not be hip to it yet, but ask anyway.

#103989 - 09/05/04 12:37 PM
mek

Reged: 09/04/04
Loc: Northbridge Massachusetts

Hello. Maybe you should have a ultrasound to make sure that the isn't anything else going on like a cyst or a fibroid cyst. I had the same thing and ended up having my left ovary and tube removed due to a hemoraghic cyst. Please get it checked out

#104287 - 09/07/04 10:00 AM
paulina

Thank you so much for replying and sharing. The most recent ultrasound I had done showed nothing abnormal, although the one prior showed a small bleeding complex cyst. If the pain disappears after I start taking the pill, I guess I'll have my answer. If not, I'll have a laparoscopy done to check for endometriosis.

#104288 - 09/07/04 10:03 AM
paulina

Thank you for this information. Does the vaginal ring stop one from ovulating?

#104332 - 09/07/04 03:25 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I get ovulation pains too around day 12 or 13 after my period. I get it so bad sometimes that I walk hunched over for a bit. Usually extra strength tylenol helps for my pains each month. I have the pain for about 4-5hrs too.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#104459 - 09/08/04 08:56 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

It stops ovulation, just like the pill. It's called Nuva Ring. I think you can get a free one on their website, Nuvaring.com.

#104461 - 09/08/04 09:06 AM
Organic Gal

Reged: 09/07/04
Loc: Southwest U.S.

I had something that sounds similar. They removed both ovaries and uterus when I was 26 -- instant menopause, but the problem got better. I put it off for a few years, so I could have a baby (hopefully). I had had 4 miscarriages, but finally had a baby the year before the surgery.

Hope yours doesn't reach that extreme, but I think that for some reason, these problems coincide with IBS?

OG

--------------------
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -- John Lennon

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4065 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1118

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review