All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question on amitriptylin
      #103919 - 09/05/04 04:27 AM
JMT

Reged: 06/25/04

AFter reading all the posts on antidepressants, I decided I was being foolish not to at least TRY the one I got filled a month ago! I started taking it two nights ago but one of the side effects seems to be that I don't sleep as soundly....it's a fitful kind of sleep and I keep waking up during the night (MANY times). Don't even know if it's that but wondered if anyone else that takes this had the same kind of symptoms at first. I'll keep taking it as long as no other side effects get to me! Thanks...this board and all your responses are wonderful! Judy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question on amitriptylin new
      #103974 - 09/05/04 11:13 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Abnormal sleep patterns are a classic side-effect when starting a-d's! They should ease after a couple of weeks as your body adjusts. Good luck!

#103977 - 09/05/04 11:25 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I was prescribed amitriptylin for IBS and to help me sleep, since a side effect of that drug is sleepiness. For some people, however, it can have the opposite effect. Perhaps you could talk to your doctor about lowering the dose to start off.

A low dose worked great for me. After a couple of years, however, I develped tachycardia from it and had to go off it. Darn! I loved the stuff.

#103985 - 09/05/04 12:26 PM
JMT

Thanks for the encouragement!

#104013 - 09/05/04 04:10 PM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

I just started on amitriptyline a week ago for ibs-d. My GI is hoping that will put more serotonin into my system and that my brain will tell my gut not to go into spasms every morning. I'm on 10mg./ taking 1 before bedtime. He told me that in some cases it can cause nightmares and actual sleeplessness. I'd stick it out as Linz suggested for a couple weeks and see what happens. So far, I've been able to sleep ok, but this is only week one. Good luck
Janene

Amitriptylin is also a sleeping pill... new
      #104089 - 09/06/04 08:17 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

... so it shouldn't be keeping you up at night, methinks. Although I think it's true with any drug that it takes a while to get used to it, so maybe your body's just acting out or something... Strange, though, that you aren't sleeping as well because it is used for people who have trouble sleeping. When I started taking it, I was knackered all the time.
Could there be another reason you are being kept up at night? Are you anxious about being on the meds in the first place? If you are on a low enough doseage of the amitriptyline (so it's not really helping you sleep as much as it could) and you are stressed about it, or about anything really, that could be keeping you up.
Hope you get some sleep soon!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Amitriptylin is also a sleeping pill... new
      #104103 - 09/06/04 10:22 AM
JMT

Yikes, I DON'T need to sleep any more than I do.....how does a sleeping aid help IBS/D? This gets more and more confusing every day!!! Thanks for the response though!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4725 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 760

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review