All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Effectiveness of medications with D
      #103726 - 09/03/04 04:27 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Ok, so as I've whined about already , I just started Lexapro a few days ago, and I've been having problems with the side effects. Today, I had really, REALLY bad D. I know it's a side effect of the Lexapro - I haven't had D in a month and a half, and I haven't changed my diet at all.

The thing is, the rest of the day, I haven't had any of the other side effects I was having with the Lexapro - the dizziness, tiredness, double vision, nausea, etc. So now of course, I'm wondering if the dose I took today went right through me - I was in the bathroom literally about 10 minutes after I took the pill.

Do I have reason to be concerned? I doubt I'll be able to get in touch with my doctor before Tuesday, so I thought I'd see what you guys thought before I went through the hassle (it IS a hassle, trust me) of tracking her down. I'm not so much worried about the D itself, although it's definitely unpleasant, I'm more worried about the effectiveness of the Lexapro (is it even staying in my system?) if the D keeps up.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Effectiveness of medications with D new
      #103727 - 09/03/04 04:36 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Casey,

Do you think the "D" could be a side effect from the Lexapro you took the other day and just now "hitting" you?
I just don't think a pill could go through you that fast, but I am just guessing.

Anyway, a lot of medicines say the side effects could be "D" and they never seem to mention anything about the effectiveness being compromised if you get "D". If that makes any sense. : Hopefully someone will have an answer for you.

Can you take an Imodium so maybe it won't come out so fast next time?

I am glad to hear the other symptoms have eased up.

Good Luck
Barbie

--------------------

#103728 - 09/03/04 04:36 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I am sorry you are having bad D Casey. That sucks after going a month. I am not a expert by far but it almost sounds like it is going right through you. I am not sure what to tell you do though. It sucks that this happing on a holiday weekend. It can be realy hard to get ahold of a doctor on the holidays. Have you tried any anti D meds? Good luck Hon and I hope your feeling better soon
Big HUGS

--------------------
Heather7476

#103729 - 09/03/04 04:43 PM
atomic rose

Oh yeah... I should have made that a little more clear... I don't think the D was because of the pill I took *today*, but I'm concerned about whether or not today's pill stayed in my system, if that makes any sense.

And yes, that does make sense... D is listed as a side effect of the Lexapro, but it just says to contact your doctor if it continues. I won't be able to get my doctor or even the pharmacy until Tuesday, so I guess I'll see how the next few days go.

I did take imodium, yup. It stopped the D for today, but I'm still cramping like crazy, and I haven't eaten since this morning because I'm scared to.

It's always an adventure, isn't it? LOL

Thanks, Barbie!

#103730 - 09/03/04 04:44 PM
atomic rose

Thanks, Heather. Yeah, I took some imodium, but the cramping is still really bad, so I'm afraid to eat - I don't want a repeat of this morning's experience. I'll probably just wait till Tuesday and try to get the doctor. Thanks!

Oh no... new
      #103739 - 09/03/04 05:21 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

My gosh Casey, yikes. What a pain that it's causing you these bad side effects.

Can you call the pharmacist that filled your prescription? They know way more about the meds than the doctors do. I'd keep taking Imodium and hope the cramping calms down.

Do you guys have a 1-800 free medical question hotline there? We have one in Canada that's monitored 24-7 by nurses and you can ask them anything. It's pretty helpful.

Also, I've noticed a lot of people seem to have tried more than one anti-depressant until they find a good one. If this one turns out to suck, there might be a better one out there for you. Don't be discouraged.

I tried an anti-depressant about a year ago (with my old doctor) for insomnia. But my doctor gave me something called Trazadone that didn't help with my sleep and left me zombie-like all day. I started getting heart palpitations so I got off it right away (but with the advice of a pharmacist). I also changed doctors too.

Hang in there.

bump -nt- new
      #103805 - 09/04/04 06:51 AM
atomic rose

Re: bump -nt- new
      #103905 - 09/04/04 07:08 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Casey,

Yes, the pill probably went straight through you, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. It takes a few weeks for anti-depressants to really start to work, anyway.

If the D problems continue, I'd suggest taking the pill later in the day when you're more stable or after you've already had some immodium.

Good luck!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Thanks, Christine new
      #103937 - 09/05/04 07:15 AM
atomic rose

I had pretty much figured that the pill did go right through me, so I braced myself yesterday for more side effects. But I ended up not having D (so I know the pill stayed in me) and still didn't have the really bad effects like I did the day before. So who knows. LOL!

I'm still going to call my doctor as soon as I can and make sure this is all ok. I know it's all within the normal side effects for Lexapro, but nobody else I've talked to has had such a hard time with it.

Anyway, thanks!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4858 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1593

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review