jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

Hi Guys,
Ok...alot of you read my post this past week re: possibly being allergic
to imodium. Here's the thing...I felt the best I've felt in over a year while
I was taking them (1/day as a preventative) This am I got up with problems
again and I think the reason is that the imodium is totally out of my system
My GI just started me this week on 10mg. of Elavil, but it's too early for that to begin to do anything, I'm sure.

I went to my chiro today and amazingly enough this whole past week that I've had the Imodium in my system, my back has been perfect and I've shown NO signs of any chemical overload in my system, the whole time I had that rash. He said if I would have been allergic to the Imodium, that other things in my body would have begun to deteriorate, but they never did. (Ironically, he told me today that I'm showing signs of having a chemical overload now which I'm sure is the Elavil)He said the rash actually seemed to be a good thing because whatever it was doing, my system was healing and doing very well. He told me that there is a difference b/w being allergic to something and having a sensitivity to something. If I was allergic to Imodium I would have had problems right away and I've been taking 2 Imodium for attacks for about 2 month now--maybe once/week. Plus, it took 2 weeks for the Imodium to cause a rash when I began using it as a prev. The rash was never over my whole body, nor was it very bad. So we're thinking it could be a sensitivity to Imodium not an allergic reaction.

So here's what I'm thinking of doing. I may try to take 1 Imodium every other day or every 3rd day and see if the rash stays gone and see if that would be enough in my system to give me stability again. I talked to my daughter who's a RN and she thot that would be ok, unless that gives me a rash as well. What do you all think?

Has anyone every tried Kaopectate as a preventative?

Thanx for all you guys input! You're all great!!

Janene

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need your thoughts on this one new
      #103731 - 09/03/04 04:52 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Janene,

I think taking the Imodium every other day would be just fine. Also, you might want to think about taking 1/2 every day as another idea. Just keep watch if you break out in a rash. I, too, think if you were going to have a problem with the Imodium it would have happened right away and not after you had taken it for two weeks straight.

I used Keopectate a lot before I started taking Imodium. It really helped my "D" but I never used it as a preventative.
It wouldn't hurt to give it a try. Maybe alternate between the Keopectate and the Imodium????

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#103737 - 09/03/04 05:15 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hi Janene. I think if it was helping then you should try taking it again at a lower amount. Or try to find a different brand? How about Pepto Bismal? I used to use that before my doctor told me about Imodium.

Maybe something else was causing the rash such as a certain food, soap, environmental allergy, etc.

Good luck.

Sara-Sage, Thanx new
      #103767 - 09/03/04 08:50 PM
jeenerz

That's what I was thinking; I'd like to give it one more shot anyway. It's so seldom we find the one thing that works for us and I just hate to turn my back on it just yet.
Have a good weekend!
Janene

Hi Barbie, new
      #103768 - 09/03/04 08:54 PM
jeenerz

I always enjoy hearing from you! Like you, I've used kaopectic
for years for d, so I may try it as a preventative if I see that the imodium just won't work for me. Then again, maybe the Elavil will kick in and work for me, but I'm not holding my breath at this point. I think I'll give my body a couple more days w/out the imodium and then start up again, only do it every other day. Hope you have a great weekend.
Janene

Re: Sara-Sage, Thanx new
      #103773 - 09/03/04 09:30 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Have a great weekend too!

#103809 - 09/04/04 07:37 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You can get the drug of Immodium - Loperamide - in a liquid form to allow aptients to take as low a dose as possible. Maybe ask your doctor? I struggled to stay balanced taking the Immodium every 3 days - the doses were too far apart for my body.

PS..... new
      #103810 - 09/04/04 07:38 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

....Remember that you shouldn't need to take Immodium forever! I took it for some months and it really helped me stabilise, but now I only take it on the rare occasions that I have d.

Thanx Linz new
      #103911 - 09/04/04 09:14 PM
jeenerz

You're right, I shouldn't have to take it forever; plus, it was good knowing that taking one every 3rd day was too far apart. I think I'll start out doing every other day and see what happens...thanx for your advice..Janene

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2173 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1033

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review